Dungey’s behavior | Syracusefan.com

Dungey’s behavior

orangencpolice

Starter
I apologize ahead of time if this has already been mentioned. I think Dungey’s behavior was really poor after he came back into the game. He shoved a WMU kid on the sideline and then apparently tried to make ammends by picking up a WMU defender that just put a big hit on him. Why would you try to do that? I get that he plays on emotions and has some attitude that makes him the player he is. I just don’t understand why he did some of the dumb things he did Friday night.

If he wants to be a a big time player, he has to stop with the shenanigans. Keep your composure and play the game. If an opposing player did that at the dome, the crowd would be calling him names too. Enough of the Cam Newton first down signals. Give the referee the ball and go back to the huddle and run another play. Eric is the reason Evan Adams was ejected. He was doing his job by protecting his quarterback. Eric is the leader of this team not a redshirt Freshman like Devito. I really hope he gets his head on straight because I want him to be successful and enjoy pulling for him.

3A63EF52-F50A-4845-A226-A06354411908.png

I apologize ahead of time if this has already been mentioned. I think Dungey’s behavior was really poor after he came back into the game. He shoved a WMU kid on the sideline and then apparently tried to make ammends by picking up a WMU defender that just put a big hit on him. Why would you try to do that? I get that he plays on emotions and has some attitude that makes him the player he is. I just don’t understand why he did some of the dumb things he did Friday night.

If he wants to be a a big time player, he has to stop with the shenanigans. Keep your composure and play the game. If an opposing player did that at the dome, the crowd would be calling him names too. Enough of the Cam Newton first down signals. Give the referee the ball and go back to the huddle and run another play. Eric is the reason Evan Adams was ejected. He was doing his job by protecting his quarterback. Eric is the leader of this team not a redshirt Freshman like Devito. I really hope he gets his head on straight because I want him to be successful and enjoy pulling for him.

Much like running, I think if you take too much of this stuff away he stops being himself. He’s the emotional leader with swag and moxie we’d love to hate on another team.

I agree that some of that sequence needed to be lass aggressive.

I hear you, but I'll take the inspirational attitude and borderline arrogance that ED and the team seems to feed off anytime. They play for their kamikaze warrior. Without it we're screwed. When ED gets in game mode he transforms from Dr. Jekyl to Mr. Hyde.
After the game he's shaking hands w/the refs and congratulating his opponents. Would I like him to comport himself more gentlemanly in this brutal sport? - Yes. But not at the expense of creating an urgent fire in the belly.
ED was subject to a vicious cheap shot against CMU his freshman year. He forgave the guy the next year (maybe it was 2 years later). He knows this is no virtuous garden party out there and I believe events like that informs and actuates his game time demeanor. Anyway it's something like that.
Let Eric be Eric.

I think it was pretty obvious Dungey was PO’d he was taken out of the game and when he went in he was playing angry. He lost his composure for a few minutes there. If this QB swaping is going to be a thing the rest of the season then I think ED should know abou it head of time. That way he doesn’t have an emotional overload when he goes back in the game. He already plays with a full tank of emotion. Anymore and it could start to become a negative.

Listen, I am only referring to Friday’s game. I, like everyone on this board love Eric Dungey and the style and demeanor he plays with. He is reckless and plays without fear. I just don’t like seeing him acting like Johnny Manziel out there. The reason I brought this up is because it isn’t his normal behavior. I have no problem with him dishing it out to the other team when it is deserved, but don’t want to see anymore penalties because he can’t control his emotions. I undoubtedly get that he has carried this team for the last three seasons and without him we have no chance at going to a bowl.

Last edited:
A week or two back, someone started a thread asking for our EXPECTATIONS. Mine were as follows:
—-
“My expectations are the same as always. Winning season, go to a bowl game, represent my alma mater with class and dignity on and off the field. That’s it.”
—-

Now I love Dungey as a player. Best QB we have had since McNabb. Willing SU to win and all that. But I still feel he can do it with class and dignity. Don’t embarrass my alma mater. Don’t be the guy that other teams think is a jack-off. Be the guy they wish they had leading their team. Making excuses for some of his behavior is bizarre to me. Go Orange!

I don’t want to excuse a player’s actions, what he (or anyone else) does on the field has to be ownable.

HOWEVER, the three items that I’d note:

1) He has always played with an edge. This isn’t something you can just turn off. You take the 90% good with 10% bad.

2) I’m not sure how the TD playing time was communicated to him. If it wasn’t clear, I think he deserves some leeway here.

3) ED is our whole offense. He’s our best QB and best RB. I hate saying this, but if he’s a bit of a wild card, so be it.

What he can’t do is be taking cheap shots or getting kicked out.

I think it was pretty obvious Dungey was PO’d he was taken out of the game and when he went in he was playing angry. He lost his composure for a few minutes there. If this QB swaping is going to be a thing the rest of the season then I think ED should know abou it head of time. That way he doesn’t have an emotional overload when he goes back in the game. He already plays with a full tank of emotion. Anymore and it could start to become a negative.
Devito should have been pulled after the third series. That isn’t up for debate. I get Dino wanted to see what TD could do, but it wasn’t working. That one falls on Dino. Give him more time against Wagner rather than giving the other team the chance to come back and win

Yeah, he needs to watch himself because he is NOT some Baker Mayfield who has a fantastic arm and all the intangibles. Dungey won’t even get drafted, IMO. But, like others have said, he is the heart and soul of the team and they respond to his feisty play.

Dungey is our whole team. Without him this is a two maybe three win team. Maybe we should cut him some slack considering he carries the SU football program on his shoulders.
He's got to get under control. He could have been ejected. He does us no good in the lockerroom for an ejection. He's got to smarten up. I'm sure the referees are aware of what he's done and are going to be quick to flag him. If he had gotten an unsportsmanlike penalty on the sideline (he's lucky he did not) followed up by the unsportsmanlike for pulling the guy up, that would have been 2 unsportsmanlike penalties and he would have been gone.

I agree, he's going a little overboard with it. You can have fun and inspire your team without the me against the world attitude. I do understand ED thrives off that stuff but its starting to come across douchey.

Dungey's behavior was fine until Babers benched him to experiment with his backup QB and let WMU come back from the dead to get within a touchdown. At that point, I think anyone who is honest thought, we're are in serious danger of losing this game. And I'm sure that's what ED thought and it made him highly agitated.

I have no problem with his actions, the kid has "Edge" we need that, other players feed off it, the football program has not had someone like that in a long time, we are not playing tiddly winks.
He is G-Mac in cleats! His actions are gonna draw some penalties this year from opponents, if you noticed on the play where he "helped" the WMU player up, the tackles on him were borderline, he will know how to dial it back enough to be ok, but get under some skin.

I seem to be in the minority here, but what I saw was 1) Dungey reacting after the WMU put a helmet to his facemask/throat area. No idea of intention but I could see why he was pissed. And 2) helping on opponent up and losing balance, making it look like a much more malicious event than it was. They don't topple over and everyone is talking about what a good sport Dungey is instead of this thread.

I seem to be in the minority here, but what I saw was 1) Dungey reacting after the WMU put a helmet to his facemask/throat area. No idea of intention but I could see why he was pissed. And 2) helping on opponent up and losing balance, making it look like a much more malicious event than it was. They don't topple over and everyone is talking about what a good sport Dungey is instead of this thread.
I’m with you.

If this (in general, not necessarily this post) is the reaction to a win, the first loss should be interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom