Dungey’s behavior | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey’s behavior

you have to be realllllyyyyy far down the rabbit hole with some dark tinted orange glasses to think Dungey was just helping up an opponent out of the goodness of his heart. The sideline thing wasn't a big deal and overhyped by the announcers, but the pulling up of the defender by his shoulder pads was weird and wrong. What if the guy was hurt? What if he needed a second? Players help each other up all the time, but the guy on the ground puts up a hand and the guy standing helps pull him up. The player on the ground had no idea what Dungey was doing and wasn't asking for help up. Dungey is 100% wrong there trying to drag up a player on the other team, and the scrum that happened afterward that got Adams kicked of the game and the first half of the next game was the most predictable thing in the world.

The Johnny Manziel money gesture thing is the kind of thing I find immature and roll my eyes at, what in the grant scheme it's whatever. Some players just do that kind of thing, and its the way of the world.

So he was fake helping him up and tripped on purpose

you have to be realllllyyyyy far down the rabbit hole with some dark tinted orange glasses to think Dungey was just helping up an opponent out of the goodness of his heart. The sideline thing wasn't a big deal and overhyped by the announcers, but the pulling up of the defender by his shoulder pads was weird and wrong. What if the guy was hurt? What if he needed a second? Players help each other up all the time, but the guy on the ground puts up a hand and the guy standing helps pull him up. The player on the ground had no idea what Dungey was doing and wasn't asking for help up. Dungey is 100% wrong there trying to drag up a player on the other team, and the scrum that happened afterward that got Adams kicked of the game and the first half of the next game was the most predictable thing in the world.

The Johnny Manziel money gesture thing is the kind of thing I find immature and roll my eyes at, what in the grant scheme it's whatever. Some players just do that kind of thing, and its the way of the world.
I agree he shouldn’t have even bothered but it wasn’t malicious.

Dungey is our whole team. Without him this is a two maybe three win team. Maybe we should cut him some slack considering he carries the SU football program on his shoulders.

Agree, ED is our team engine, thus my argument that the D deflates when he comes out. An argument for another thread and day.

ED plays with an edge, its part of his game. He chirps alot, is demonstrative, and is flat out an in your face player. Before friday night, i didnt mind it, i understood it. However, he is on the precipice of costing us a big 15 and in my opinion, has already cost himself playing time with injury as he has obviously been targeted, the cmu player for example. When playing D, there are players on O you want to rough up and there are players you respect and want to help up. I am afraid players in the latter category are adding up.

Staying injury free as a skill player in fb takes alot of luck and prayers. Yes, strength, agility, and playing style factor in, but its a huge advantage to not be targeted as a smack talking chump. Tom Brady is one of the biggest trash talkers in the NFL and would rather eat kale than do squats...but in am uncanny way, he takes hits and gets up over and over. Not calling ED a chump, but with his style of play he will be at risk for questionable hits at and after the whistle. ED, you have the game, let your arm and legs do the chirping:)

Yeah, look everyone, you can buy the sideline stuff, but picking the dude up out of nowhere was weird and unnecessary. It's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt when we know he's tussled with the other team before.

Yeah, look everyone, you can buy the sideline stuff, but picking the dude up out of nowhere was weird and unnecessary. It's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt when we know he's tussled with the other team before.

I don't think it's weird at all. In fact, I believe it was deliberate in order to get some good graces with the refs after the sideline issue. Dungey most likely realized the sideline incident didn't look good and this was his way to even things up. Just didn't work out for him.

I don't think it's weird at all. In fact, I believe it was deliberate in order to get some good graces with the refs after the sideline issue. Dungey most likely realized the sideline incident didn't look good and this was his way to even things up. Just didn't work out for him.
Yeah, I'm not reading it that way at all. My interpretation might be too harsh, but your interpretation is exceptionally generous to Dungey. He reached for that other player way too quickly for it to be good sportsmanship.

It looked to me like he wanted to compete, was fired up, and in his haste to get back into things, reached for a player he shouldn't have. That player gave zero indication that they were looking for help up or wished to engage anymore with Dungey after the tackle was made. So why did Dungey do that?

The fact that the interpretation can differ is kind of my point though. He's built up a little bit of history around being a guy that gets into it a little with the other team. Refs are going to be aware of it. So far, it hasn't burned him or the team. It's not unrealistic to think there will be a ref at some point that doesn't appreciate Dungey's particular brand of fire, sees him come up to or cross that line, and isn't having any of it and shuts it down immediately. As a fan, I can't even say that's the wrong perspective for that ref to take.

I get it. We've all bought into the warrior legend around Dungey. I don't want to see his legend turn into one about being a dumbass because he got a little too loose as an "emotional leader" when we need him. I don't think that's too much to ask for a guy that supposedly has the locker room and is a senior QB.

I wish we could put 22 Eric Dungey’s on the field. If the entire team had his swagger, toughness and competitiveness, we wouldn’t be worried about being bowl eligible. He’s the best QB in the ACC. Ask any defensive coordinator in the ACC what quarterback keeps him up at night. It’s Eric Dungey.

Being at the game the one thing I was disappointed in with ED was the fact he stood at the far end of the sidelines by himself and go to the npbench when his offensive teammates came off the field when TD was under center. He is a competitor but I would have liked him to have been more of a team leader when TD and the offense came off the field with WMU mounting a comeback. When ED went back on the field in the 3rd quarter he walked down the sidelines firing up the defense after he lead the team in a touchdown drive. Just my thoughts.

I apologize ahead of time if this has already been mentioned. I think Dungey’s behavior was really poor after he came back into the game. He shoved a WMU kid on the sideline and then apparently tried to make ammends by picking up a WMU defender that just put a big hit on him. Why would you try to do that? I get that he plays on emotions and has some attitude that makes him the player he is. I just don’t understand why he did some of the dumb things he did Friday night.

If he wants to be a a big time player, he has to stop with the shenanigans. Keep your composure and play the game. If an opposing player did that at the dome, the crowd would be calling him names too. Enough of the Cam Newton first down signals. Give the referee the ball and go back to the huddle and run another play. Eric is the reason Evan Adams was ejected. He was doing his job by protecting his quarterback. Eric is the leader of this team not a redshirt Freshman like Devito. I really hope he gets his head on straight because I want him to be successful and enjoy pulling for him.

I will take Dungey’s attitude any day over Butler’s.

This program has been without moxie since really McNabb. I’ll take it. My bigger worry is that competitiveness turns into wrecklessness and we could be taking about potentially burning Amie’s redshirt year as backup to Devito.

I wish we could put 22 Eric Dungey’s on the field. If the entire team had his swagger, toughness and competitiveness, we wouldn’t be worried about being bowl eligible. He’s the best QB in the ACC. Ask any defensive coordinator in the ACC what quarterback keeps him up at night. It’s Eric Dungey.
Look, nobody here is disputing that Dungey is a good player.

He also does some weird things that can put him and the team at risk. We can acknowledge that without it being a commentary on him as a player or on his talent. One way to look at it is to say it's fine he crosses certain lines because his team needs that fire. Another way to look at it is that if certain behaviors continue, it's a ticking time bomb.

Again, I don't think it's a crazy or unreasonable expectation to have for our Senior leader QB to be smarter.

Oh creamy flying Hell, nobody is making any statement that is anything like that, at all, in this thread, or anywhere, in the digital world or meatspace, or has, or will, at any time.

Meatspace?

Point: would rather deal with the ramifications of one than the other. You take the whole package. It’s cute when fans start wishing for a player to completely change a facet of his personality/game.

Yeah, I'm not reading it that way at all. My interpretation might be too harsh, but your interpretation is exceptionally generous to Dungey. He reached for that other player way too quickly for it to be good sportsmanship.

It looked to me like he wanted to compete, was fired up, and in his haste to get back into things, reached for a player he shouldn't have. That player gave zero indication that they were looking for help up or wished to engage anymore with Dungey after the tackle was made. So why did Dungey do that?

The fact that the interpretation can differ is kind of my point though. He's built up a little bit of history around being a guy that gets into it a little with the other team. Refs are going to be aware of it. So far, it hasn't burned him or the team. It's not unrealistic to think there will be a ref at some point that doesn't appreciate Dungey's particular brand of fire, sees him come up to or cross that line, and isn't having any of it and shuts it down immediately. As a fan, I can't even say that's the wrong perspective for that ref to take.

I get it. We've all bought into the warrior legend around Dungey. I don't want to see his legend turn into one about being a dumbass because he got a little too loose as an "emotional leader" when we need him. I don't think that's too much to ask for a guy that supposedly has the locker room and is a senior QB.
People are looking at it with orange shades. What would they do If they were playing and had a QB running wild all over them, embarrassing them and trash talkin. Then he grabs you immediately after a tackle? You don’t know how some one will react to that so you probably better off not doing it.

Meatspace?

Point: would rather deal with the ramifications of one than the other. You take the whole package. It’s cute when fans start wishing for a player to completely change a facet of his personality/game.
That assumes he has to do these things.

That's ridiculous. He doesn't.

All of you saying you don't mind it now are definitely going to mind it if he takes it too far and gets tossed from a game.

If Mahoney comes in, yeah, I'm gonna be p!ssed at Dungey.

He's going to have to throw punches to be ejected, or get a 2nd unsportsmanlike. I wouldn't worry about it.

And yeah, the unbalanced offsetting penalty rule I learned about today makes it all gravy.

Look, nobody here is disputing that Dungey is a good player.

He also does some weird things that can put him and the team at risk. We can acknowledge that without it being a commentary on him as a player or on his talent. One way to look at it is to say it's fine he crosses certain lines because his team needs that fire. Another way to look at it is that if certain behaviors continue, it's a ticking time bomb.

Again, I don't think it's a crazy or unreasonable expectation to have for our Senior leader QB to be smarter.
This all occurred when we were only up by six, and ED had returned to the game. He was trying and frankly succeeded in lighting a fire in his team. None of his actions were by accident.

True, good intention, but a trip in picking him up which looked like he was going in on the guy. Weird exchange.

This all occurred when we were only up by six, and ED had returned to the game. He was trying and frankly succeeded in lighting a fire in his team. None of his actions were by accident.
I think we are all for that. Dungey provides that for this team. His team mates feed off it but he still needs to be careful. Have to look at it both ways. Lets not pretend like emotionally driven players don't hurt their teams during adverse moments too. You can when or lose a game with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom