Dungey drafted to XFL 3.0 DC Defenders | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey drafted to XFL 3.0 DC Defenders

Any other SU players have a shot here? I see I can put a $50 deposit down on season tickets, but they haven't announced where the Vegas team is going to play. I'm holding out hope they utilize the abandoned Sam Boyd Stadium which is like 10 mins from the house. I think the only other option would be Allegiant I think

Any other SU players have a shot here? I see I can put a $50 deposit down on season tickets, but they haven't announced where the Vegas team is going to play. I'm holding out hope they utilize the abandoned Sam Boyd Stadium which is like 10 mins from the house. I think the only other option would be Allegiant I think
They’re going for mainly U25 players but I haven’t seen any former SU players yet other than Dungey.

Spring leagues are great for these bubble type players. I’ve always found it odd how awesome college quarterbacks don’t convert to NFL capable quarterbacks; Tebow and Dungey are examples of this.

Spring leagues are great for these bubble type players. I’ve always found it odd how awesome college quarterbacks don’t convert to NFL capable quarterbacks; Tebow and Dungey are examples of this.

It’s not that surprising. Neither QB was an elite or even an excellent passer in the context of an NFL QB. They were perfect for the college game which is very different than the NFL. They took themselves as far as their talent could and they were both amazing to watch but neither was ever going to be successful in the NFL.

It’s not that surprising. Neither QB was an elite or even an excellent passer in the context of an NFL QB. They were perfect for the college game which is very different than the NFL. They took themselves as far as their talent could and they were both amazing to watch but neither was ever going to be successful in the NFL.
I guess I just don’t really understand the differences between the two leagues cause I only watch MNF. I’m definitely a college fan and not an NFL one in comparison. All I can tell is that it is way more polished and RPO plays are way harder.

I honestly don’t understand why someone can be great in college but not in the NFL. Is it a completion percentage thing?

I guess I just don’t really understand the differences between the two leagues cause I only watch MNF. I’m definitely a college fan and not an NFL one in comparison. All I can tell is that it is way more polished and RPO plays are way harder.

I honestly don’t understand why someone can be great in college but not in the NFL. Is it a completion percentage thing?

I think you’ve asked a very hard question lol. Don’t mean that in a snide way at all.

I think there’s a couple things to point out to simplify it. Why does a great HS player not succeed or have skills transferable to D1 or to only a D2/3 school? It’s usually a lot of little things that equal a big thing or 1-2 big things. NFL players are physical elite compared to most college players in a way that D1 players are physically elite compared to most HS players. It’s like moving up the “triangle”. The further up you go, you need to be elite in a couple things or almost elite in many things. And the amount of players who meet either of those gets smaller and smaller.

But especially for an NFL QB you need to be able to pass the ball at a level that even good college players can’t do. Tebow had an arm but not an NFL arm and if you look back at the boards. There were always games people were upset Eric missed a deep pass and that’s why they thought Devito was the answer. What made Tebow and Eric great CFB players is because they didn’t play against an all elite defense. They could get away with things against college players every single NFL player would destroy them 8/10 plays.

Essentially, both those players had reached the peak of their abilities on the triangle. Nether had elite anything except for will and desire but that doesn’t get you far in the NFL, by itself. Because every NFL player has that or they wouldn’t have made it that far.

I think you’ve asked a very hard question lol. Don’t mean that in a snide way at all.

I think there’s a couple things to point out to simplify it. Why does a great HS player not succeed or have skills transferable to D1 or to only a D2/3 school? It’s usually a lot of little things that equal a big thing or 1-2 big things. NFL players are physical elite compared to most college players in a way that D1 players are physically elite compared to most HS players. It’s like moving up the “triangle”. The further up you go, you need to be elite in a couple things or almost elite in many things. And the amount of players who meet either of those gets smaller and smaller.

But especially for an NFL QB you need to be able to pass the ball at a level that even good college players can’t do. Tebow had an arm but not an NFL arm and if you look back at the boards. There were always games people were upset Eric missed a deep pass and that’s why they thought Devito was the answer. What made Tebow and Eric great CFB players is because they didn’t play against an all elite defense. They could get away with things against college players every single NFL player would destroy them 8/10 plays.

Essentially, both those players had reached the peak of their abilities on the triangle. Nether had elite anything except for will and desire but that doesn’t get you far in the NFL, by itself. Because every NFL player has that or they wouldn’t have made it that far.
Thanks for this explanation, I think this sounds pretty logical and solid.

Thanks for this explanation, I think this sounds pretty logical and solid.

The tough question is, how do you know when someone may or may not be NFL material. The passing aspect almost assured Tebow and Eric likely wouldn’t get far in the NFL and if they did, they wouldn’t be starting QB’s for a long time. But what about those fringe guys; like a Tucker. How’s he fit in to the NFL. Even the analysts and draft guys miss on who will or won’t be successful. But there are some players just don’t quite have enough and since there are so few NFL QB’s that are elite. I think it’s one of the easier positions to judge who doesn’t belong. A lot harder to know who does belong but still won’t be successful. Like a Ryan leaf.

The tough question is, how do you know when someone may or may not be NFL material. The passing aspect almost assured Tebow and Eric likely wouldn’t get far in the NFL and if they did, they wouldn’t be starting QB’s for a long time. But what about those fringe guys; like a Tucker. How’s he fit in to the NFL. Even the analysts and draft guys miss on who will or won’t be successful. But there are some players just don’t quite have enough and since there are so few NFL QB’s that are elite. I think it’s one of the easier positions to judge who doesn’t belong. A lot harder to know who does belong but still won’t be successful. Like a Ryan leaf.
Tucker reminds me of Austin Ekeler a bit. Even though I’m no NFL expert he is in my fantasy team and I’ve seen enough touches from him that Tucker reminds me of him.

I’m not saying he will be just as good or anything, but he’s a similar running back.

The average career in the NFL is like 3 years. The true tenure is probably even smaller when considering about how guys like Tom Brady are curve busters. It is really difficult to determine who will make it in the league from college at any position. It is far from an exact science.

I hope Eric Dungey makes it to the league. I will never forget the first time he came in for the injured Terrell Hunt (as I recall the injury happened on a roll out with no one touching him...woof)... Dungey was darting the ball all over the Dome and running wild...it was a real moment for those in the Dome that day. We finally had a QB! The list of his great plays goes on and on, no need to educate the informed here on this board. He was so fun to root for and watch. Good luck Eric!

In my fantasy world Dungey absolutely kills it in the xfl and gets another look in the NFL
Hehateme style
Even if he becomes a perennial XFL premier player that would be awesome too, so long as they pay him well. I’m just really excited to watch him play, he was just before my time as a fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom