Dungey throwing balls in the dirt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey throwing balls in the dirt

There has to be something wrong. He was never a great passer, but this is a whole other level. After seeing Devito get a bunch of series in week 1, and then seeing what he did in the 2nd half vs FSU, i'm shocked we haven't seen Babers give ED a rest and see what Devito can do. I feel terrible for Eric because he has put everything on the line for this program, but 100% Devito > 80% Dungey.

Knowing nothing, I'd bet they thought they could get through the Pitt game at 5-1 and re-evaluate the situation during the bye week, hoping it would heal up and they don't have to make that tough call right now.

If there's a problem that is going to require more rest, you have two weeks of DeVito getting practice snaps with the 1s, and a game that you should be able to win without the most complex gameplan.

In a semi-related story, any news on Butler? Hoping it's a one time incident and he's coming back focused. I don't think we should give up on him yet.

It's pretty clear to me that he has some sort of shoulder or elbow injury on his throwing arm. I hope he is in the training room 1-2x daily to try to improve it as much as possible in this week off. A week of rest and treatment could do wonders for him.

Makes you wonder if his muscle mass hinders his throwing. What elite QBs are as ripped as him? Look at guys like Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Wentz, etc. Sure it makes him an imposing running QB, and he has the strength to throw the ball down the field, but he's been pretty bad with the touch passes recently.

Been saying it for weeks. He has to be 240-250. Like you said, you dont see qbs with bulky arms or shoulders nor do you baseball pitchers.

Muscle mass absolutely affects throwing (range of motion, added weight of arm, etc). I pitched in college, and we were basically told to never bench press due to the tightening of the shoulder muscles. Throwing a football is much different than a baseball, sure, but adding all of that weight in his upper body can definitely impact his arm control, consistency, and muscle memory.
Adding muscle does not have to affect range of motion. I've seen body builders do full splits. It's one of the huge misconceptions of strength training. The reason it does for a lot of people is that they don't incorporate adequate static and dynamic stretching. The added weight of the arm and muscle memory are negated through practice and repetition.

Donovan McNabb was 25 lbs heavier as a senior than he was a freshman.

Can Newton is heavier than Dungey and is definitely as muscular.

Adding muscle does not have to affect range of motion. I've seen body builders do full splits. It's one of the huge misconceptions of strength training. The reason it does for a lot of people is that they don't incorporate adequate static and dynamic stretching. The added weight of the arm and muscle memory are negated through practice and repetition.

neil odonnell benched 690

I also think he has an arm injury. The first throw against FSU when he was jumping and wincing in pain and came off the field, it looked like he literally broke his arm with that pass. He was holding it for a while then came back into the game.

seems to me, knowing my arm issues playing baseball there were some throws that didnt hurt and others i knew it was gonna hurt and probably not be where i wanted it.

he may have some slot angles he can make the throw without the pop and others he just cant make consistently.

The throw in the dirt at Clemson was the most costly of all. With that completion we would have picked up a first down and the ineligible receiver downfield call would have never happened. Being at Memorial Stadium if he completed that pass and we picked up first down it would have sucked the life out of the crowd/team and I honestly believe we would have won that game.

In my opinion his poor throwing on short passes is due to his shoulder injury.
Thought so.

I agree and it all depends on each kid. Some have great mobility and can handle more mass and some are tight and getting bigger would only make it worse.

His shoulder is dinged up. Forearm may be hurting as well. Hopefully he is doing less during the bye to give his shoulder a rest.

Reminds me of McNabb with the Eagles. He was President of the Grassed Balls.

Wait, yerrr the one with the, shell... on it.

Muscle mass does affect Rom. i trust in edinger and co but the weight ED added has slowed him down and yes, the shoulder girdle bulk has, in my opinion, affected his arm speed. its physiology and something i know and have studied and have degrees on . not one to throw around my paper but given his 6'"4" frame, he is the bulkiest ipper body qb i have seen this year. look at college and pro qbs, arm and shoulders being jacked does not equal zip on the tje ball. So until there is evidence of this phantom injury he has this year bc he took a few pops...that's the besr explanation

Fellas, look at his last 2 seasons. yes, he has NEVER had nfl arm talent but has delivered plenty of big throws in big spots against big defenses. to erv, ish, and even custis. Balls on the $$$'. We always ragged on his arm strength, but never his arm strength.

Reminds me of McNabb with the Eagles. He was President of the Grassed Balls.

Wait, yerrr the one with the, shell... on it.

Yes! Was wondering when somebody would bring up McNabb. He did that a lot in Philly too. Probably more of a mechanical issue in general.

Cam is 270? Bc ED js easily 245. And cams frame can easily hold 250+ at 6'6" with crazy length. Cant compare the 2 athletes.

Muscle mass does affect Rom. i trust in edinger and co but the weight ED added has slowed him down and yes, the shoulder girdle bulk has, in my opinion, affected his arm speed. its physiology and something i know and have studied and have degrees on . not one to throw around my paper but given his 6'"4" frame, he is the bulkiest ipper body qb i have seen this year. look at college and pro qbs, arm and shoulders being jacked does not equal zip on the tje ball. So until there is evidence of this phantom injury he has this year bc he took a few pops...that's the besr explanation

Fellas, look at his last 2 seasons. yes, he has NEVER had nfl arm talent but has delivered plenty of big throws in big spots against big defenses. to erv, ish, and even custis. Balls on the $$$'. We always ragged on his arm strength, but never his arm strength.

I'ma guess you got those degrees from a UNC online course? :rolleyes:

Tua T. is 6'1", and only about a dozen lbs lighter than Dungey.
So, for his height, he's actually 'bulkier' than ED.

Is all that 'bulk' affecting his arm speed or accuracy? ;)

Jake Fromm is 6'2" 220.
Dwayne Haskins is 6'3" 220.
Will Grier is 6'2" 223.

Dungey is 1-2" taller than these guys, so it's only natural he'd weigh a little bit more, all else being equal.

One other observation is that against Clemson he double clutched it before throwing it into the dirt. So whatever is wrong, the issue has gotten to his head.

I don’t what to make of the fact that Babers would run an obviously hurt kid out there over the QB he recruited and looked really good against FSU. What the heck is going on up there behind closed doors?

Jake Fromm is 6'2" 220.
Will Grier is 6'2" 223.

Dungey is 1-2" taller than these guys, so it's only natural he'd weigh a little bit more, all else being equal.
Natural size vs being in the weight room is completely different! There’s a reason no QB in the NFL looks like him and Brady Quinn didn’t workout.

People vastly over exaggerate the effect of muscle “mass”.
QBs shouldn’t look like LBs, TEs or Safety’s. This isn’t new he’s been throwing like this his whole career at SU. Dude has a ton of heart but we need to get to a bowl game.

Jake Fromm is 6'2" 220.
Will Grier is 6'2" 223.

Let me stop you right there and say that, despite being listed at 226 lbs, Dungey is NOT 226 lbs. I'm slightly taller than Dungey, and considered "lean", and I float around 230-235 lbs. If I was as muscular as Dungey, I would easily be 250-260 lbs.

Let me stop you right there and say that, despite being listed at 226 lbs, Dungey is NOT 226 lbs. I'm slightly taller than Dungey, and considered "lean", and I float around 230-235 lbs. If I was as muscular as Dungey, I would easily be 250-260 lbs.

I'm enjoying all the armchair strength coach taeks here.

Sean Edinger is literally a goddamn ninja (was on the US Karate Team for 5 years), and also a gifted powerlifter in his own right. I'll trust his opinion re: Dungey vs. the board 'experts' here.

I'm pretty sure he knows how to get guys bigger and stronger without losing flexibility or ROM.
(Jimmy Garoppolo says HI! ;))

Dungey may be having throwing issues (and given his style of play and history, I wouldn't rule out an injury), but it ain't from him being TOO SWOLE. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom