Dungey throwing balls in the dirt | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey throwing balls in the dirt

Was a college catcher and I used to put throws into the dirt when I tried to put a little too much mustard on them sometimes. Just lose focus momentarily and release the ball a split second too late and you throw a dart into the ground. Usually occurred when trying to hurry and mechanics got rushed.

I also think he has an arm injury. The first throw against FSU when he was jumping and wincing in pain and came off the field, it looked like he literally broke his arm with that pass. He was holding it for a while then came back into the game.

I mentioned this in another thread. It looked like he may have either pinched a nerve or pulled tendon or ligament. If that's the case, working through it is not going to make it better. I'm not a medical expert just someone who is old and has had injuries over the years who knows what they feel and look like.

Was a college catcher and I used to put throws into the dirt when I tried to put a little too much mustard on them sometimes. Just lose focus momentarily and release the ball a split second too late and you throw a dart into the ground. Usually occurred when trying to hurry and mechanics got rushed.
So basically your saying you were a to muscular catcher that needed shoulder surgery after the throw.

I'ma guess you got those degrees from a UNC online course? :rolleyes:

Tua T. is 6'1", and only about a dozen lbs lighter than Dungey.
So, for his height, he's actually 'bulkier' than ED.

Is all that 'bulk' affecting his arm speed or accuracy? ;)

Jake Fromm is 6'2" 220.
Dwayne Haskins is 6'3" 220.
Will Grier is 6'2" 223.

Dungey is 1-2" taller than these guys, so it's only natural he'd weigh a little bit more, all else being equal.
And not all the extra weight is upperbody. We know he is doing squats, like everybody else.

Muscle mass does affect Rom. i trust in edinger and co but the weight ED added has slowed him down and yes, the shoulder girdle bulk has, in my opinion, affected his arm speed. its physiology and something i know and have studied and have degrees on . not one to throw around my paper but given his 6'"4" frame, he is the bulkiest ipper body qb i have seen this year. look at college and pro qbs, arm and shoulders being jacked does not equal zip on the tje ball. So until there is evidence of this phantom injury he has this year bc he took a few pops...that's the besr explanation

Fellas, look at his last 2 seasons. yes, he has NEVER had nfl arm talent but has delivered plenty of big throws in big spots against big defenses. to erv, ish, and even custis. Balls on the $$$'. We always ragged on his arm strength, but never his arm strength.
I have a degree too. However, I will admit I haven't rehabbed elite athletes, just weekend warriors along with my elderly patients. I will choose to trust Cuseregular's opinion. I'm confident he is more qualified than both of us.

I suppose it would've be interesting to grab a goniometer and test his ROM freshman year and compare it to this year pre-injury.

Last edited:
I dont think he's injured. Rewatching the Pitt game made it stick out to me. I thought I mentioned in another thread but I think the pressures they knew were coming gave him alot of trouble, it's the same thing that happened against MTSU last year. On all of those short throws in the dirt he's trying to get the ball out super quick with a 3 step drop and is throwing into the edge rush. Doesn't set his feet, shoulders are square to the target and his hand makes this awkward hooking motion. Watch and you'll see it every time. He does it really early on against Pitt and Custis actually comes back to the ball and makes a catch, but it was a short throw in the same situation. Johnson sits down on his route and doesn't bail him out. The throws to Johnson were also worse. I think he's dealing with the pressure differently than he has in the past, sitting in the pocket and trying to beat it or throw around or through it instead of tucking and running. He's definitely rushing and his mechanics are breaking down.
Either way, I don't think he's hurt.

I actually think Dino's response to this question in the ACC weekly conference, along with knowing he had a shoulder injury to start the year, proves that the kid is hurt and its effecting his throwing

i think he's a little banged up but Im also seeing what Ive always seen. Inconsistency in his throws and reads. He's gutsey and competitive but not as skillful throwing the ball. Im hoping for a tim tebow type rally and closing out his senior season carrying his team on his back by any means.
Without the end-zone prayer sessions, thank you.

Banged up? Yes

Throwing effected by added mass? Yes, probably.

Adding muscle does not have to affect range of motion. I've seen body builders do full splits. It's one of the huge misconceptions of strength training. The reason it does for a lot of people is that they don't incorporate adequate static and dynamic stretching. The added weight of the arm and muscle memory are negated through practice and repetition.

Donovan McNabb was 25 lbs heavier as a senior than he was a freshman.

Can Newton is heavier than Dungey and is definitely as muscular.
Adding muscle does not have to affect range of motion. I've seen body builders do full splits. It's one of the huge misconceptions of strength training. The reason it does for a lot of people is that they don't incorporate adequate static and dynamic stretching. The added weight of the arm and muscle memory are negated through practice and repetition.

Donovan McNabb was 25 lbs heavier as a senior than he was a freshman.

Can Newton is heavier than Dungey and is definitely as muscular.

This is dead on. The "too muscular" for this or that is an old, outdated narrative.
This is either an injury issue or a mechanical issue or a combination of the two.
Another poster referenced hall of fame NFL QBs who are not bulky to support this argument. For a guy with Dungeys somatatype, building mass takes a great deal of time and effort. NFL QBs have to prioritize their time and therefore choose to spend more time on general physical preparedness, film study and throwing mechanics rather than devote it to gaining and maintaining muscle mass.
Also, there are plenty of baseball players that are more muscular than ED and don't have any problems with throwing.

I'ma guess you got those degrees from a UNC online course? :rolleyes:

Tua T. is 6'1", and only about a dozen lbs lighter than Dungey.
So, for his height, he's actually 'bulkier' than ED.

Is all that 'bulk' affecting his arm speed or accuracy? ;)

Jake Fromm is 6'2" 220.
Dwayne Haskins is 6'3" 220.
Will Grier is 6'2" 223.

Dungey is 1-2" taller than these guys, so it's only natural he'd weigh a little bit more, all else being equal.

Do you have a degree in exercise physiology? Kinesiology? I do. Ht and wgt can be totally independent of muscle mass. ED is probably 250 with noticeably more upper body muscle mass than the qbs you mentioned. tua and the others have substantial weight, but not the ripped muscle mass ED has. A loss in flexibility and arm speed is very much a possibility. These other qbs dont have the delts and biceps ED has and they seem more flexible and fluid.
ED and the training staff have attempted to add bulk the past several years to sustain hits and his arm fluidity, speed, and aerobic endurance have all taken a hit. We could only dream of some tight ends and lbs with his size.

Do you have a degree in exercise physiology? Kinesiology? I do. Ht and wgt can be totally independent of muscle mass. ED is probably 250 with noticeably more upper body muscle mass than the qbs you mentioned. tua and the others have substantial weight, but not the ripped muscle mass ED has. A loss in flexibility and arm speed is very much a possibility. These other qbs dont have the delts and biceps ED has and they seem more flexible and fluid.
ED and the training staff have attempted to add bulk the past several years to sustain hits and his arm fluidity, speed, and aerobic endurance have all taken a hit. We could only dream of some tight ends and lbs with his size.

250? Really?
Now SUAD is lying about his weight, and to the low side? By 20 lbs?

And ESPN and all the other major sports outlets are just going along with that?

When has that ever happened in the history of sports?

We’ve seen exaggerated heights and weights for athletes for decades.
But never UNDER-reporting that info.

PS - look at Olympic gymnasts.
Other than roided out bodybuilders, nobody packs more mass per inch than those dudes. They are insanely jacked.

They also somehow magically maintain nearly superhuman flexibility and ROM.
But, but... that’s unpossible!

You should demand a refund from Apex Tech or wherever your got that rag from.
:rolleyes:

Natural size vs being in the weight room is completely different! There’s a reason no QB in the NFL looks like him and Brady Quinn didn’t workout.

AMEN , from brees, to big ben, to Rogers, to tua...they possess significant wgt but not a crazy amount of muscle mass.

There is no way he is 250.

250? Really?
Now SUAD is lying about his weight, and to the low side? By 20 lbs?

And ESPN and all the other major sports outlets are just going along with that?

When has that ever happened in the history of sports?

We’ve seen exaggerated heights and weights for athletes for decades.
But never UNDER-reporting that info.

PS - look at Olympic gymnasts.
Other than roided out bodybuilders, nobody packs more mass per inch than those dudes. They are insanely jacked.

They also somehow magically maintain nearly superhuman flexibility and ROM.
But, but... that’s unpossible!

You should demand a refund from Apex Tech or wherever your got that rag from.
:rolleyes:

LOL, REALLY? When have hts snd wgts been skewed? All the time just like 40 times. Recruiting measurables are far different than what we measure once a kid signs and makes it to campus. As for players hts and wgts, esp wgts from spring ball, to fall camp, to the start of the season; we cant be sure when these wgts are measured. come on, eye test, does anyone on this board truly think ED is <230?

LOL, REALLY? When have hts snd wgts been skewed? All the time just like 40 times. Recruiting measurables are far different than what we measure once a kid signs and makes it to campus. As for players hts and wgts, esp wgts from spring ball, to fall camp, to the start of the season; we cant be sure when these wgts are measured. come on, eye test, does anyone on this board truly think ED is <230?
I don't think he is much more than 230. You can't judge weight by the "eye test." Arnold Schwarzenegger was around 235 at his peek competition weight carrying around 260 in the off season and looked much more massive than ED does. He actually had the guiness record for largest muscular chest at one point. He said he was around 218 in Terminator 2. Your eye test is unreliable.

250 and 230 are very different with that muscle mass... I’d put him right around 230. You typically drop weight throughout the season.

Pretty sure these guys are right, I mean he basically says it himself.

BH: 'So, Eric...what have you been doing all offseason?'
ED: 'Ah Bro, you know, gettin' swole liftin' weights and uh...hittin' the gym and uh...you know, liftin' weights. Look at these bi's bro, so yuge!'
BH: 'Yeah so I noticed you're looking quite a bit bigger than when you came in, what're you up to these days?'
ED: 'Uh yeah, I came in as a freshman at like 195, but I been hitin' the gym and am up to like 280 now so yeah, you know bro, diesel.'
BH: 'Yeah so, how you feeling now that you're getting out there and throwing a football again for the first time since last season?'
ED: 'Ah bro, it feels great just gettin' out here with my guys and flexin' and being swole now. You know, not throwin' it so much cause uh, you know I got these yuge pecs and uh delts now and uh, check these bi's bro, and uh, doin' hundreds now I get winded but check out these tri's bro, so yuge! But yeah, feels great!'

I don't really see why muscle mass would hinder his ability to throw. He's been throwing 10,000 passes while building the muscle and don't believe it's hindered his arm flexibility.

Throwing straight into the dirt is hard to do. Injury, mechanics, mental state (chuck knowblach). When you start "aiming" or thinking about it you're in trouble.

He hurt his shoulder in game 1 when he tried to run over that guy near the goal line. He hasn't thrown it well all season. Hopefully the bye week finally gets him healthy again.

He hurt his shoulder in game 1 when he tried to run over that guy near the goal line. He hasn't thrown it well all season. Hopefully the bye week finally gets him healthy again.
Which is why some people were calling for Devito to start the UConn game. A healthy Dungey gives us our best chance these last two games.

AMEN , from brees, to big ben, to Rogers, to tua...they possess significant wgt but not a crazy amount of muscle mass.

Big Ben is just fat.

Dungey's pure passer rating/adjusted ESPN QBR (QBR takes into account passing, rushing and sack rate) rating over last 4 years:

2015 - 136.6/63.3

2016 - 138.2/65.0

2017 - 122.4/66.7

2018 - 132.8/65.6

Pretty consistent stuff over his four year career. The problem is the numbers he puts up put him just above the middle of the pack of QB's in Division I. I think everyone expected a leap this year and it just hasn't happened (multiple valid guesses as to why). By end of season, in the QBR rating he'll be a Top 40-50 QB as he always has been. Obviously, most of us want and some of us expect more but its doubtful that's going to change much this season. Although if it gets us to 6 or 7 wins and a bowl game and it will be his most successful season no matter the statistical numbers.

Last edited:
Dungey's pure passer rating/adjusted ESPN QBR (QBR takes into account passing, rushing and sack rate)rating over last 4 years:

2015 - 136.6/63.3

2016 - 138.2/65.0

2017 - 122.4/66.7

2018 - 132.8/65.6

Pretty consistent stuff over his four year career. The problem is the numbers he puts up put him just above the middle of the pack of QB's in Division I. I think everyone expected a leap this year and it just hasn't happened (multiple valid guesses as to why). By end of season, in the QBR rating he'll be a Top 40-50 QB as he always has been. Obviously, most of us want and some of us expect more but its doubtful that's going to change much this season. Although if it gets us to 6 or 7 wins and a bowl game and it will be his most successful season no matter the statistical numbers.
A major milestone for him will be to get to game #9 in playing shape.

That hit (and the kt tape in game and ice pack after) were to his left shoulder. Damn details, I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom