Ebenezer Scezer | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ebenezer Scezer

Try to keep you guys inform. during this time of the year there's nothing going on. I don't have the time during the season to get on these boards. What ever info I get out Rochester I try to share with you. A lot of things I don't share because of confidential reasons.

What?

Where is any of that coming from?

Perhaps I was rambling. My basic point was this: you have a nationally ranked hoops team playing in a huge venue against other nationally ranked teams. Perhaps it's a pain in the neck to coordinate everything for one of those big hoops weekends, but it's hard for me to believe anything they put together would have been cooler for me as a 17-year-old than taking in a big-time game as part of my junior day. I'm sure there are valid reasons for not having it, but I just feel like these are the little things that make a difference in recruiting.

No my cousin did, Vernon. I went to juinor day and I was invited to the spring game. When it came down to December, I didnt get the offer I thought I was gonna get. I think I was a Plan B. I guess they got commitments from The LB's that they had ahead of me. I had a torn labrum in both shoulders. Lot of schools backed off. I ended up playing at Brockport St. I was never the same after my shoulder injuries. Had to give it up. Marrone is trying to get in good with Rochester again. he understands this situation here. He looks at Rochester as another NYC. There lots of under the radar talent here that can be developed into something special. Poncho is a prime example of that. There is a slight negative perception. Alot of people were discusted with GRob years. His Recruiters seem un interested. They didnt build relationships. Jarron's brother Matt told me after he commited to them that he didnt hear from them in months. As a result, he didnt qualify. Marrone and his staff know that I am a Syracuse football advocate. They know I would do my part in rebuilding the faith that was lost. Wheatley and Marrone are doing a good job a rebuilding the relationships.
Nice info as always Money. Speaking of Poncho, how is he doing? How close is he to qualifying? Is he headed to Milford? Do you think we can expect him at SU next spring semester?

I'm not trying to get into an argument here, but I think you're being incredibly close-minded. What harm has this "verbal commitment" done? You really do make it seem like committed a crime by making a verbal statement that has zero binding ability. He's going to continue making his visits just as if he hadn't "committed" end of story. There's no need to judge the kid, especially when you don't know him. You can give your opinion, but when I give mine it's "age-bias indignation"? Really? I never said you couldn't have an opinion all I did was give constructive criticism based on my own opinion.
What - it hasn't done any harm and no one is likening it to committing a crime - quit being such a pansy - the OP even said great points that making this commitment in Feb was a mistake and makes no sense. I didn't judge the kid - just his decision to commit. Good lord.

I came on the board today looking to apologize for being pissy last night and then I read this nonsense.

Hey Money - what is your take on this whole junior day debate?

To be honest. I am a critic of this. I do understand Marrone's philosophy of building a relationship with kids before offering. When you do this, it makes the offer more meaningful to the kids. Because it was something earned. But it does bother me that we offer kids late because some kids hold that against you. some would say " why are you offering me know when I have 20 other offers from big time schools. I think it's hit or miss. But it would be nice to hear once in a while that SU is out there offering every major prospect in the northeast. New jersey, penn, Maryland, Ohio 4 stars should be identified and offered by now.Then build the relationship as you go. I have to wait and see how this recruiting year go before I determine if holding junior day at a later time was worth it. I do think inviting kids to big rivalry games helps. The kids love to see the fans chanting and showing school spirit. It makes them want to be apart of that. I dont think this part of the recruiting process should be taken lightly. Especially when you have the best BB team in america. Football players are big basketball fans. Maybe SU will get more attendees because of this. We will see what names are on the visit lists. Hopefully a few blue chips.

To be honest. I am a critic of this. I do understand Marrone's philosophy of building a relationship with kids before offering. When you do this, it makes the offer more meaningful to the kids. Because it was something earned. But it does bother me that we offer kids late because some kids hold that against you. some would say " why are you offering me know when I have 20 other offers from big time schools. I think it's hit or miss. But it would be nice to hear once in a while that SU is out there offering every major prospect in the northeast. New jersey, penn, Maryland, Ohio 4 stars should be identified and offered by now.Then build the relationship as you go. I have to wait and see how this recruiting year go before I determine if holding junior day at a later time was worth it. I do think inviting kids to big rivalry games helps. The kids love to see the fans chanting and showing school spirit. It makes them want to be apart of that. I dont think this part of the recruiting process should be taken lightly. Especially when you have the best BB team in america. Football players are big basketball fans. Maybe SU will get more attendees because of this. We will see what names are on the visit lists. Hopefully a few blue chips.
Interesting take. It appears that Marrone is a big fan of using the basketball venue on official visits in December and January, which goes along with the building relationships and earning it angles you mention. By that late date, a lot of kids have decided already where they are headed though, and I don't think you have much of a chance to flip kids, especially after coming off a losing season like this past year.

How does practically everyone else manage to do it?

Did you ever think that just maybe they want to feature, show, emphasize other things than a big crowd in the stadium. Maybe they will be far enough a long in the remodel/upgrade work on the facilities that they can feature that.

Maybe they have feedback from the kids they are targeting that they are better off having the event in April than in February.

I don't know, and neither does anybody on this thread making declarations of failure.

They had 11 of 22 commits by July of last year, 13 if you include the Milford kids.

Obviously they have no idea about working targets early and getting the class lined up.

Interesting take. It appears that Marrone is a big fan of using the basketball venue on official visits in December and January, which goes along with the building relationships and earning it angles you mention. By that late date, a lot of kids have decided already where they are headed though, and I don't think you have much of a chance to flip kids, especially after coming off a losing season like this past year.

They used it to close on late targets and undecideds.

I was under the impression that verbals who had not made their official yet were also invited to attend. Brantley for example who ended up bidding us adieu.

And now they offer early, including some highly regarded players, and try to make those stick... while still trying to get some that got away to reconsider. Methinks they will be successful with the new process.

If the process works and they get solid, highly regarded, classes and show results on the field there will be a chance to re-tweak that strategy.

Did you ever think that just maybe they want to feature, show, emphasize other things than a big crowd in the stadium. Maybe they will be far enough a long in the remodel/upgrade work on the facilities that they can feature that.

Maybe they have feedback from the kids they are targeting that they are better off having the event in April than in February.

I don't know, and neither does anybody on this thread making declarations of failure.

They had 11 of 22 commits by July of last year, 13 if you include the Milford kids.

Obviously they have no idea about working targets early and getting the class lined up.
and last year if I recall correctly they had a junior day featuring a big home basketball game - just seems to me that with more time to build relationships and an even better basketball team it would've been a good time to build upon what worked last year

obviously no way to know which way is correct until after the fact, but right now I feel there was a better chance to get a big time recruit with several options to visit for a big SU basketball game in a dome than for a spring football game in a dome

If "improved facilities" > "basketball atmosphere" then they made an understandable decision.
Ideally you have both, but that wasn't an option this year.

There'll be as many people in the stands for this weekend's basketball game than there is for the home football games and at least with hoops they are all packed together.

I'd would hope there are some select juniors visting campus this weekend (as I'd guess they did for uconn to) at least that's my hope but marrone and company don't use the recruiting sites to promote the program so we'd never know about it; unless a site just happens to talk to one of the kids and they mention it.

I am not 90% of the posters who say that. I have actually talked to him. I wouldnt put anything on here just for coversation or to get you guys excited. Its February and you think its over?

Over?

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

No my cousin did, Vernon. I went to juinor day and I was invited to the spring game. When it came down to December, I didnt get the offer I thought I was gonna get. I think I was a Plan B. I guess they got commitments from The LB's that they had ahead of me. I had a torn labrum in both shoulders. Lot of schools backed off. I ended up playing at Brockport St. I was never the same after my shoulder injuries. Had to give it up. Marrone is trying to get in good with Rochester again. he understands this situation here. He looks at Rochester as another NYC. There lots of under the radar talent here that can be developed into something special. Poncho is a prime example of that. There is a slight negative perception. Alot of people were discusted with GRob years. His Recruiters seem un interested. They didnt build relationships. Jarron's brother Matt told me after he commited to them that he didnt hear from them in months. As a result, he didnt qualify. Marrone and his staff know that I am a Syracuse football advocate. They know I would do my part in rebuilding the faith that was lost. Wheatley and Marrone are doing a good job a rebuilding the relationships.

Good post Money!

Great stuff in this thread money, as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Money - any idea how Quentin felt after finding out Schianno and a lot of staff was leaving? I'm not asking b/c I hope he feels like crap and wishes he had picked SU instead, I just wonder what impression these H.S. kids have after going through a "process" like that. It's got to be at least a little unsettling I would think.

Haven't talk to them since schiano's departure. Don't know how they feel about it

Scissum didn't commit for lacrosse. It's a rumor
bummer, kid looked good in his highlights. Is he interested in playing lax in college or is he waiting on a FB ship?

not sure. I believe he has a UB and a old dominion offer for football

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom