Elite 8 Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Elite 8 Thread

I am sure we will here next year how people would rather P5 teams get at larges because they have a chance of winning over teams that beat nobody.

In the past 12 years the following teams have made the final four despite being seeded 9 or higher -- George Mason, VCU, Butler, Wichita St, and now Loyola.
IMO... Takes like these are the only thing cringe-worthy about Loyola going to the Final 4. Loyola in the Final 4 isn't justification for St Mary's to make the tourney. I'm not interested in a feel-good field of 68 where we take all the little guys over established P5 programs.

Just so I'm not being entirely anti-small conferences... I do think all the play-in games should involve the P5 bubble teams. No reason for teams who won their conference tourney to have to be in the First Four.

Last edited:
IMO... Takes like these are the only thing cringe-worthy about Loyola going to the Final 4. Loyola in the Final 4 isn't justification for St Mary's to make the tourney. I'm not interested in a feel-good field of 68 where we take all the little guys over established P5 programs.

Just so I'm not being entirely anti-small conferences... I do think all the play-in games should involve the P5 bubble teams. No reason for teams who won their conference tourney to have to be in the First Four.

One advantage of playing in the first four is it allows the small conference champions who advance to earn an additional unit for their conference and they really could use the money.

Man it's difficult to listen to Chris Webber. Thankfully that's over. LGR! :)

I'm definitely a P5 proponent but lately it seems to be more of a P3 with the Pac12 and Big XII in danger of being relegated.
The Pac 12 has become a joke but the big 12 us still pretty good. Kansas is ways good wvu has been good k state had a nice run.

The Pac 12 has become a joke but the big 12 us still pretty good. Kansas is ways good wvu has been good k state had a nice run.
True. Pac 12 is an absolute mess in revenue sports. Big XII isn't a mess but isn't to the level of the ACC/SEC/B1G in CFB & CBB.

True. Pac 12 is an absolute mess in revenue sports. Big XII isn't a mess but isn't to the level of the ACC/SEC/B1G in CFB & CBB.
It only has one elite program and some pretty good programs.

Big 12 did have 3 out of the Elite 8 this year. They were pretty good. If the ACC had done that.we'd be bragging about it.

It only has one elite program and some pretty good programs.
They have Kansas in CBB and Oklahoma in CFB and then some solid programs in each sport around them.

The ACC/SEC/B1G each have multiple elite programs in CFB and the ACC/B1G have multiple elite CBB programs. Lots of solid programs in each sport for the 3 conferences as well. Also way more Championships/Final 4's/CFB Playoff Appearances recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom