Enjoy Tyler Lydon while we can | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Enjoy Tyler Lydon while we can

If he continues to play at this level throughout the season, he'll be a top 20 pick this year. The only question scouts will have, is weather or not he can retain his quickness and hops upon bulking up.

The NBA drafts on pure potential. Well Lydon can play now and is a multi-tool player who will only continue to get better as his body matures.

No wonder why Hop loved this kid so much. Great find.

OrlandoCuse said:
Lydon has put together a better career in his first 5 games than CMac did in his entire time here.

I'm not too sure. CMac came out of the gates pretty quick. Was averaging 16 and 9 after the first 7-8 games. Hit a wall in the beginning of ACC play then tore the knee. I think people greatly underestimate his talent because he left after an unfulfilled 1 year.

5 games in Lydon is the best freshman front court player we have had since Melo. I'm not sure its even close. The best part is he is growing by leaps and bounds and rebounded his best against the best competition.

McCullough was pretty good through his first 5, averaged 15.6 pts and 7.4 on close to 60% shooting. Not discrediting Lydon at all but McCullough came out of the gate with some gusto.

Those who say that Lydon needs to bulk up are right, but at the same time, Lydon plays stronger than many a player who probably could bench more. Roberson, Obokoh, and CMac come to mind. As far as the NBA is concerned, sure, they'd like to see more bulk, but lack of bulk = potential. I imagine that the NBA is going to be more concerned about his height, but if he's a legit 6'9-6'10, he's got great high to play the 4 in the league. . I don't think he's a 3 in today's NBA--I can see him guarding Lamarcus Aldridge or Kevin Love a lot sooner than Gordon Hayward or Jimmy Butler. He doesn't have great athleticism, but it's good enough, and it's the other things that make him special--his shooting, toughness, awareness, and versatility. If he keeps playing the way he has been, he probably a mid-to-late first round pick. Players like that have returned to school before, however, and that would be great.

The other thing I'll say is that he benefits by playing against defenses that are clearly focused on the 3 guards. I could see him struggling if he had to be a #1 option (like Rak last year).

I don't think there is one D1 starter that doesn't have a mix tape where they look highly skilled and like one of the best players coming in.

That said, Lydons game is translating and it's fun to watch.
Youre wrong but ok

I was sitting in front of a sc.out at the tournament...he really liked Lydon. Said he would take him now.

McCullough was pretty good through his first 5, averaged 15.6 pts and 7.4 on close to 60% shooting. Not discrediting Lydon at all but McCullough came out of the gate with some gusto.

The only thing mccollough brought was a pretty jumper. He was soft. Could see that in his hs games.

The only thing mccollough brought was a pretty jumper. He was soft. Could see that in his hs games.

See whatever you want, first 5 games here he looked amazing and I doubt there were many posts calling him out after them.

Serious question. Who was the last white, non 7 footer to go one and done?

I should clarify before this spins out of control. There are guys who look good and then there are guys who look like stars. I find lydon to be in the latter category. Same with jamal murray.

I'm not too sure. CMac came out of the gates pretty quick. Was averaging 16 and 9 after the first 7-8 games. Hit a wall in the beginning of ACC play then tore the knee. I think people greatly underestimate his talent because he left after an unfulfilled 1 year.

Just a opinion

With Cmac the potential was there, but he had no jumpshot coming in, and just couldn't create his own shot in the halfcourt. Lydon doesn't need to create his own shot or post up. His offense is quick halfcourt transition buckets from all over the court. 6'8 scores all over the court drives the lane posts up its just so multidimentional.

I remember Cmac trying some post up/isolation and he shot like 1-9 a couple of games when he did.
Cmac just really took advatage of the athleticsm early on, imo, and did almost everything from the midpost and in.

On a side note Lydon hit a outstretched hook shot in the lane today and made it look easy. Where the heck did that come from.

I think the problem with the draft is two things.
1. kids end up in the d league and will never make it back to the nba if they played a few years in college it may not have been the case.
2.money.

Last edited:
imo.
With Cmac the potential was there, but he had no jumpshot coming in, and just couldn't create his own shot in the halfcourt. Lydon doesn't need to create his own shot or post up. His offense is quick halfcourt transition buckets kinda like Wes Johnson.
I remember Cmac trying some post up/isolation and he shot like 1-9 a couple of games when he did.

Cmac just really took advatage of the athleticsm early on, imo.

On a side note Lydon hit a outstretched hook shot in the lane today and made it look easy. Where the heck did that come from.

Im fairly sure cmac relied heavily on his jumper. No jump shot?

Still basically a seven footer. Also if Love is the benchmark for white guys leaving early, Lyndon has a long way to go.

Hes 6'10". But sorry i was uust trying to answer your question.

Watching lydon he reminds me a lot of the knicks draft pick porzingis.. minus 6 inches of course. His game is refined liked a euroleague pro in how he plays the game so intelligently but also with skill and emotion. He keeps this up and he could be the most impactful freshman since melo. Thats a big statement with a long ways to go of course but besides not being a bit stronger there is very little weakness in his game on either side of the ball.

Im fairly sure cmac relied heavily on his jumper. No jump shot?
His jump shot was 71/2 feet and in atleast thats the way I remember it.

Just another opinion, He was a long ways away from his ceiling when he left syracuse no post up/isolation, no shooting outside of 8 feet and needed to put alot of strength on. But he had a wicked wingspan, athleticsm, and verticle.

I think Lydon is closer to his ceiling because hes more well rounded. Just needs to get stronger.
I do think his stock would rise as a sophmore no doubt with the added strength. And he would get to play on a great team next year and be the leader we need. On the other hand if he ends up in the d league he might never see the nba. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom