Eric Dungey to the NY Giants UDFA | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Eric Dungey to the NY Giants UDFA

Time to remind all of a few things as we head off into Summer.

Board Rule #1. The Board is ALWAYS wrong

Board Rule #2. Leave the Talent Evaluating to the Talent Evaluators

Guys, I told you all years ago that Dungeys best NFL bet was as a TE. While I’m glad he didn’t switch after his Soph year and all his success at QB, it doesn’t change the fact of who is and was as a QB prospect.
Your statement directly contradicts board rule #1 & #2.

Dungey won’t be an NFL TE. Maybe more of an H-Back with packages. But, he will 100% never execute a down, reach or arc block, let alone manning the most vicious pass rushers in the world. His best chance in the NFL is not as a TE.

Not saying it’s as a prototypical QB either, a team would have to have a unique vision to utilize his talents.

Most evaluators don’t know either !
How to evaluate a Qb ...
Eye test
Arm strength but how does he generate it ?
This is the key when evaluating arm strength.
Is it a long delivery or compact ?
Foot work
Accuracy
Athleticism
Hand size
IQ
Toughness
Film
Character
Intangibles

For obvious reasons I’m not going to offer my opinion on Eric hopefully he is healthy enough to compete for a roster spot . We need more orange in the NFL

Your statement directly contradicts board rule #1 & #2.

Dungey won’t be an NFL TE. Maybe more of an H-Back with packages. But, he will 100% never execute a down, reach or arc block, let alone manning the most vicious pass rushers in the world. His best chance in the NFL is not as a TE.

Not saying it’s as a prototypical QB either, a team would have to have a unique vision to utilize his talents.
I’m old school enough that an HBack is a TE.

I don’t care what Joe Gibbs called it.

Too many fancy names nowadays.

Should we call it a WingBack, it’s likely the better choice for if he’s any good, he will get carries.

He should be happy he’s still there.

The only reason Jones was picked so high was because he played for Cutcliffe and the Manning think he's a god for some reason. Personally I am glad the Giants made such a stupid pick.
yep. as an Eagles fan, I'm overjoyed they went with Jones
These posts make me very happy.

Let’s see where we are in 5 years...

Most evaluators don’t know either !
How to evaluate a Qb ...
Eye test
Arm strength but how does he generate it ?
This is the key when evaluating arm strength.
Is it a long delivery or compact ?
Foot work
Accuracy
Athleticism
Hand size
IQ
Toughness
Film
Character
Intangibles

For obvious reasons I’m not going to offer my opinion on Eric hopefully he is healthy enough to compete for a roster spot . We need more orange in the NFL

I'm hoping that some of Dungey's inaccuracy issues were due to physical / mechanical issues related to health. He was always so dinged up due to his fearless style of play, our need to have him rush the ball, etc. that it will be interesting to see whether his ability to deliver the ball improves if he can be healthy.

More and more, the NFL seems to value versatility in players -- would love to see him find a way to stick, but recognize that it will be an uphill battle at QB. As a hybrid who can also throw / run? Maybe.

Eric doesn't throw the best, doesn't run the best but what he does have is that intangible magic, the Juice, the "IT" that all great leaders have. Eric has the unique ability to make every other player better. He is an amazing leader. All he does is will his team to perform beyond their God given ability. He inspires. He wins.
People said the same about Tebow, RGIII, Denard Robinson etc. etc.

Eric was a legend at Syracuse, i’m sure he’ll find a way onto the field for at least some snaps in the NFL. I don’t see him as a starter or quality backup. I hope he proves me dead wrong.

People said the same about Tebow, RGIII, Denard Robinson etc. etc.

Eric was a legend at Syracuse, i’m sure he’ll find a way onto the field for at least some snaps in the NFL. I don’t see him as a starter or quality backup. I hope he proves me dead wrong.
And some of those guys had better physical tools.

Please do put Dungey in the same sentence with Jones ever again.

If Jones is a bust (and he won’t be), he was still 100000000000000000x the NFL QB prospect than dungey.

Remember, every single NFL team has already told Dungey “no thanks” when it comes to him even being a camp arm.

Pretty simple stuff.
there you go folks, empirical data to support an assertation. eat your own?

there you go folks, empirical data to support an assertation. eat your own?
Sound the Alarm folks, Mr 15 posts here is going to explain to us how the board, fandom and the Internet work in concert producing 1 big love fest with the end result being all Syracuse players who ‘dun us good’ get handed starting roles in the NFL, just because...

I think the more reasonable argument is maybe Dungey doesn't deserve a shot in the NFL, but if he does not Jones sure as he!! doesn't either. Just look at the PFF grades from the past 3 years and whos are better.

There’s not one thing that jones did better than Dungey. Not last year, not their career. You can look at any of the stats or you could watch them both on film. And jones having dropped balls is a cop out. Now if you want to say jones may have more “potential”, that would be fair, but it’s an opinion and an opinion the giants obviously hold. But at #6, jones potential better lead to being a stud. Otherwise the giants blew it.

Nobody is debating that Jones didn't look like the 6th pick. You asked what he does better than Dungey, and despite listing reasons that come from various scouts (sorry, but their opinions matter, and ours don't), you aren't having it. I admire your Orange passion, but c'mon.
Jones. Projected 1st rd with an overall grade of 4.18 out of 6
Pos:
Talented passer with big upside. Patient in the pocket and displays great awareness. Senses pressure extremely well and sidesteps defenders to keep plays alive. Scans the field, maximizes all his targets and improvises if plays break down. Knows where receivers are on the field, takes the safe underneath outlet if nothing else is available and displays great accuracy with the ability to place throws where only his receiver can make the reception. Throws receivers free, gets the deep ball in front of targets well and lets them run to the pass. Can thread the needle and get the ball through tight windows. Effectively looks away from covered targets and goes to secondary receivers. Puts speed on throws and throws passes that immediately get to the intended target. Does a good job with his reads and displays terrific field vision and timing. Effectively commands the offense. Runs with the ball if nothing else is available and picks up positive yardage.
Neg:
Occasionally holds the ball too long in the pocket. Displays a bit of a windup in his throwing motion on deep passes. Will force the ball to covered targets and try to thread the needle when he shouldn’t.
Analysis:
Jones has been a solid college quarterback the past three years and offers the size, arm strength and growth potential to be a next-level starter. He may need a little more time than people think but offers possibilities in a variety of offensive schemes and will have a long NFL career if properly coached.

Dungey: projected UDFA with a grade of 3.14
Pos:
Often-maligned quarterback with a solid game. Displays a feel for what's happening on the field, effectively sets up screen passes and spreads the ball around to all of his receivers. Incredibly patient, correctly identifies open wideouts and commands the offense well. Buys as much time as necessary for receivers, senses the rush and reacts to it well. Puts air under deep throws to allow receivers to run to the ball. Not afraid to take it upfield and run with the ball when necessary.
Neg:
Must improve his overall accuracy and pass placement and often makes receivers adjust for errant throws. Often put the ball up for grabs in the past.
Analysis:
Dungey is a solid passer with good size, enough arm strength for the next level and the moxie coaches love. He's a developmental prospect who should be stashed on a practice squad.

Eric doesn't throw the best, doesn't run the best but what he does have is that intangible magic, the Juice, the "IT" that all great leaders have. Eric has the unique ability to make every other player better. He is an amazing leader. All he does is will his team to perform beyond their God given ability. He inspires. He wins.
So did Tebow.

These posts make me very happy.

Let’s see where we are in 5 years...
Jones at 6 was insane. The 6th pick in the draft should be a starter day 1.
Your GM said this about Jones.

That is so idiotic you don’t even say it.

Jones at 6 was insane. The 6th pick in the draft should be a starter day 1.
Your GM said this about Jones.

That is so idiotic you don’t even say it.
I didn’t like Jones at 6 unless Eli was already cut.

Once Eli was coming back, no QB at 6.

I was pretty clear on that.

Gettleman is just with people because he can. He stared Death in the face and won. That’s gotta be pretty liberating.

Let’s see...

If Eli were to be injured will the G's throw Jones to the wolves? Would they get a veteran or go with one of the current QB's they have how may be on the practice squad? Or, would ED get some run as he would be active and presumably getting some snaps in practice for their gadget plays"? Could happen. I'm sure there are better tight ends available so his presence on the roster is for different reasons.

If Eli were to be injured will the G's throw Jones to the wolves? Would they get a veteran or go with one of the current QB's they have how may be on the practice squad? Or, would ED get some run as he would be active and presumably getting some snaps in practice for their gadget plays"? Could happen. I'm sure there are better tight ends available so his presence on the roster is for different reasons.
The days of waiting for QBs to develop are over Jones will play the first time opportunity arises . I’d like to see QBs wait at least one year at the NFL level so much to adjust to and they can have 15 year careers. College is different you only have a small window play them as early as possible , Tua , Lawrence , Ehlinger , Fromm how did that work out ? Funny they are “listed “ as the top 4 QBs in the country right now

The days of waiting for QBs to develop are over Jones will play the first time opportunity arises . I’d like to see QBs wait at least one year at the NFL level so much to adjust to and they can have 15 year careers. College is different you only have a small window play them as early as possible , Tua , Lawrence , Ehlinger , Fromm how did that work out ? Funny they are “listed “ as the top 4 QBs in the country right now
They probably would start Jones. But, if he gets injured or flops, they might as well start an undrafted free agent who nobody thinks can win in the NFL and try to save their 2019 draft.

They probably would start Jones. But, if he gets injured or flops, they might as well start an undrafted free agent who nobody thinks can win in the NFL and try to save their 2019 draft.

I would have more confidence in the Giants resorting to Dungey as a starter than if they'd ever had to do that with Ryan Nassib.

The Athletic did their 53 man Giants roster and had Dungey on the outside looking in. Being injured isn't helping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom