Eric Dungey to the NY Giants UDFA | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Eric Dungey to the NY Giants UDFA

Per New York Giants beat reporter Art Stapleton, Dungey has encountered a potentially serious setback:

“Former Syracuse QB Eric Dungey working with TEs and on special teams. Spent most of today’s OTA practice in the field house. I’m told the rookie’s work being monitored right now after he tweaked his back. He’s been in attendance throughout.”

Inside the Loudhouse

Was he seriously unable to get even one team in the league willing to give him a look at QB? Is this really the best his agent could come up with? Kid is not an NFL TE.

He should just go to a Canadian team and kill it up there.

I was at a hockey game once with a crew that included someone that was gay. We almost got into a brawl with a couple trash bags that spewed some offensive language.

I was offended by the s*** spewed out of their mouths. Does that count?
How did they know he was gay?

Eric always was a playground QB
Never understood how cuse fans don’t realize this
Never saw him as an nfl qb, none of this is surprising. Love him but dropkicking DBs doesn’t earn you a contract. He’s a thrower and got balls of steel but it’s a business

How did they know he was gay?

I assume it was his rather effeminate speech and mannerisms, or perhaps they overheard him talking about his personal life to one of us.

Excellent question though.

As much as I am a lifelong Giants fan, Eric might be better with a team that will let him compete as a backup QB.
I believe the XFL folded.

Was he seriously unable to get even one team in the league willing to give him a look at QB? Is this really the best his agent could come up with? Kid is not an NFL TE.

He should just go to a Canadian team and kill it up there.
People that know way more about being an NFL QB didn't draft him for a reason. I'm not sure what people were seeing that make them think he's got an NFL QB skill set. I love Eric, but as a pure passer, I feel like D1 or AAF, or CFL is his ceiling. I do think that if he can stay healthy though, he can be a swiss army guy, and play on specials. Let him run a few, let him catch a few, and design a few pass plays for him that can catch the defense off guard. But to have him drop back and throw it 50 times a game? I just don't see it.
I want to be wrong though.

People that know way more about being an NFL QB didn't draft him for a reason. I'm not sure what people were seeing that make them think he's got an NFL QB skill set. I love Eric, but as a pure passer, I feel like D1 or AAF, or CFL is his ceiling. I do think that if he can stay healthy though, he can be a swiss army guy, and play on specials. Let him run a few, let him catch a few, and design a few pass plays for him that can catch the defense off guard. But to have him drop back and throw it 50 times a game? I just don't see it.
I want to be wrong though.
Always thought the same, he’d be a hell of entertaining player to watch, but the nfl is almost not suited for him and vice versa. This was laughed at before but he’d be a beloved and hell of a cfl QB

Eric always was a playground QB
Never understood how cuse fans don’t realize this
Never saw him as an nfl qb, none of this is surprising. Love him but dropkicking DBs doesn’t earn you a contract. He’s a thrower and got balls of steel but it’s a business
Because the orange colored glasses crowd could not be objective about him and realize that the great things he did for us don't translate to playing qb in the NFL. Nevermind that other greats like Don McPherson or Marvin Graves either couldn't hang around or were never even got a shot.

I think we have been longing for a good qb and a good team for so long that once we got them our perspective had become skewed.

Last edited:

At just 220 pounds and never having blocked before, a traditional tight end role is likely out of the question for Dungey.

To be honest, it’s probably unrealistic to expect Dungey to push for a spot on the 53-man roster initially. Hill took a full year in New Orleans to learn the role, and was an impact player in his second season.

Perhaps that should be the template for Dungey. If he shows promise in the hybrid role, a practice squad spot in 2019 would seem logical as he learns the finer points of what the Giants are asking him to do.

Can someone tell me what things jones does better than Dungey.
I don't get this. Yes, Jones was a reach at 6, but it's not like the guy was not expected to get drafted. He was widely regarded as a 2nd-3rd round pick. Dungey was regarded as undraftable, and didn't even get a combine invite.
From NFL draft anaysis.

Dungey: Has accuracy problems, and often makes receivers adjust to catch the ball. Throws it up for gabs a lot. Trouble staying healthy.
Jones: Goes through his progressions, throws a very accurate deep ball. Good footwork, good at identifying blitzes and hot routes. Considered to have outstanding accuracy on intermediate throws.

Had Jones gone in the 2nd round, nobody would have batted an eye.

Last edited:
I don't get this. Yes, Jones was a reach at 6, but it's not like the guy was not expected to get drafted. He was widely regarded as a 2nd-3rd round pick. Dungey was regarded as undraftable, and didn't even get a combine invite.
From NFL draft anaysis.

Dungey: Has accuracy problems, and often makes receivers adjust to catch the ball. Throws it up for gabs a lot. Trouble staying healthy.
Jones: Goes through his progressions, throws a very accurate deep ball. Good footwork, good at identifying blitzes and hot routes. Considered to have outstanding accuracy on intermediate throws.

Had Jones gone in the 2nd round, nobody would have batted an eye.

That analysis is exaggerated. Dungey has accuracy problems and jones is accurate deep and intermediate throws. Yet Dungey has better stats across the board. Completion %, yards, qb rating, etc. career and last season. I realize WRs come into play.

I too thought jones would get drafted and was higher on him than some on this board who trashed him during the season. But whether you watch films or look at stats, the difference between jones and Dungey is not the difference between the 6th pick and an udfa who’s probably changing positions.

That analysis is exaggerated. Dungey has accuracy problems and jones is accurate deep and intermediate throws. Yet Dungey has better stats across the board. Completion %, yards, qb rating, etc. career and last season. I realize WRs come into play.

I too thought jones would get drafted and was higher on him than some on this board who trashed him during the season. But whether you watch films or look at stats, the difference between jones and Dungey is not the difference between the 6th pick and an udfa who’s probably changing positions.
But, according to those who do these evaluations for a living, that is the difference.

It's been said his numbers were aided by a qb pass friendly offense designed to get receivers in space for easier throws, while Jones relied more on throwing accurately through tight windows. Jones also didn't have our stable of talented wide receivers. His wr's dropped a lot of passes.
I'm sure my take will get a lot of negative responses, but as a Syracuse fan, it's really hard to grade these things objectively. Scouts analysis is as far from subjective as you can get.

It's been said his numbers were aided by a qb pass friendly offense designed to get receivers in space for easier throws, while Jones relied more on throwing accurately through tight windows. Jones also didn't have our stable of talented wide receivers. His wr's dropped a lot of passes.
I'm sure my take will get a lot of negative responses, but as a Syracuse fan, it's really hard to grade these things objectively. Scouts analysis is as far from subjective as you can get.

One thing though...Dungey put up nice numbers as a freshman before he ever played in Dino’s offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom