Eric Dungey to the NY Giants UDFA | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Eric Dungey to the NY Giants UDFA

There are "few guys" with the zip of someone who has 10 career NFL pass attempts (Nassib) and a 20-year-old (Devito) with zero career college starts? That seems like an exaggeration.

I can't believe this is apparently beyond you. "Zip" is just part of the equation. Nassib didn't lose his position as an NFL QB because his arm was weak. Joe Montana had mediocre arm strength but was pretty good, no?

"Analysis:
Dungey is a solid passer with good size, enough arm strength for the next level and the moxie coaches love. He's a developmental prospect who should be stashed on a practice squad."

and

"Overall, Dungey has modest accuracy which he gets away with due to the space created for him by passing game concepts. He does flash the ability to hit touch throws into space. His arm strength is ordinary and he doesn’t drive the football to deeper windows with overly impressive velocity.
If Dungey can stay healthy, there is no reason to believe he can’t put together a productive season as a senior. Avoiding injuries and showcasing a more translatable skill set is critical for Dungey to get a serious look for an NFL opportunity."

and

"Eric Dungey has the size (6-foot-4 230 pounds), athletic ability, arm strength and stats that scream NFL talent. Through two games in 2018, Dungey has already amassed over 400 yards passing with 7 touchdowns and 1 interception. On top of that his ability as a dual threat remains, with 244 yards on 26 rushing attempts.
Dungey’s career at Syracuse has been hampered by injuries. Ranging from a serious concussion, to shoulder and foot injuries. If he can stay healthy for 2018, and put together a better season against top competition, he’ll certainly get his shot in the NFL.
Teams likely won’t be willing to invest a high draft pick in a player with such an extensive injury history."

Pretty spot on. Actual arm strength will not be the reason he does not get on an NFL team.

I can't believe this is apparently beyond you. "Zip" is just part of the equation. Nassib didn't lose his position as an NFL QB because his arm was weak. Joe Montana had mediocre arm strength but was pretty good, no?

"Analysis:
Dungey is a solid passer with good size, enough arm strength for the next level and the moxie coaches love. He's a developmental prospect who should be stashed on a practice squad."

and

"Overall, Dungey has modest accuracy which he gets away with due to the space created for him by passing game concepts. He does flash the ability to hit touch throws into space. His arm strength is ordinary and he doesn’t drive the football to deeper windows with overly impressive velocity.
If Dungey can stay healthy, there is no reason to believe he can’t put together a productive season as a senior. Avoiding injuries and showcasing a more translatable skill set is critical for Dungey to get a serious look for an NFL opportunity."

and

"Eric Dungey has the size (6-foot-4 230 pounds), athletic ability, arm strength and stats that scream NFL talent. Through two games in 2018, Dungey has already amassed over 400 yards passing with 7 touchdowns and 1 interception. On top of that his ability as a dual threat remains, with 244 yards on 26 rushing attempts.
Dungey’s career at Syracuse has been hampered by injuries. Ranging from a serious concussion, to shoulder and foot injuries. If he can stay healthy for 2018, and put together a better season against top competition, he’ll certainly get his shot in the NFL.
Teams likely won’t be willing to invest a high draft pick in a player with such an extensive injury history."

Pretty spot on. Actual arm strength will not be the reason he does not get on an NFL team.

Why did you share an analysis that says "His arm strength is ordinary and he doesn’t drive the football to deeper windows with overly impressive velocity." Doesn't that undermine the point you're trying to make?

And why are you sharing analyses that were made prior to the 2018 season? Don't we want to see what NFL scouts think of him upon viewing his entire body of work (including senior year shoulder injuries that could impact arm strength)?

"Analysis:

and

and

If you're going to compare Dungey to Montana you have acknowledge the differences between the two. Montana had elite accuracy and anticipation that made up for his mediocre arm strength. He threw recievers open. Dungey did not demonstrate that.

So, you're right, you don't need elite velocity to be an NFL qb and having it doesn't guarantee NFL success. However, if you don't have it, you better be elite in other ways and if you do have it, it helps make up for other things. Let me ask you, what, other than toughness, is Dungey elite in on an NFL level?

It seems like some people on here need Dungey to be an NFL success to validate our fandom for him. I don't. He was a great college qb and will always be remembered fondly for coming here when we stunk and playing a huge part in bringing us back to relevance. He may not be an NFL player, and that's fine. Of all of the memorable qb's we've had here, only one had a highly successful NFL career.

At this point, is it unrealistic to think ED can still earn a camp invite?

Let me ask you, what, other than toughness, is Dungey elite in on an NFL level?

One thing I think that gets lost with Dungey is his ability to feel the pressure and extend plays. Last season I think he did a much better job of staying in the pocket until the last second, but was able to feel the pressure and avoid sacks. Very elusive. More than any other college qb last year, I think he stood out in this regard. Does that mean that he'd be able to use that ability in the NFL to his team's advantage? Would he continue to mature and not take unnecessary risks? As of right now, the NFL doesn't think so. I think there's a place for him to be used creatively in the league, even if he's not a franchise QB. Still hoping he gets his shot.

Eric Dungey was never going to make the NFL as a QB. If he is willing to try another position where his athleticism is used he could make a roster.

The windows to throw into in the NFL make it impossible for him to play QB in the NFL.
It is not insulting him either to say this.
If he could play TE/FB/Hback he has the size and speed to play in the league.

Eric Dungey was never going to make the NFL as a QB. If he is willing to try another position where his athleticism is used he could make a roster.

The windows to throw into in the NFL make it impossible for him to play QB in the NFL.

The debate over Dungey going to the NFL feels similar to Tyus Battle over on the hoops board. Both great kids, both hardworkers, both great personalities. We want them to make it to the league so badly, but the level of talent just isn't quite there.

The debate over Dungey going to the NFL feels similar to Tyus Battle over on the hoops board. Both great kids, both hardworkers, both great personalities. We want them to make it to the league so badly, but the level of talent just isn't quite there.
Battle can play in the NBA.
We are debating his draft spot.

Dungey was never making the NFL as a QB.
He just wasn’t. He could be an athlete and change positions like lots of other players have.
He just isn’t a QB.

One thing I think that gets lost with Dungey is his ability to feel the pressure and extend plays. Last season I think he did a much better job of staying in the pocket until the last second, but was able to feel the pressure and avoid sacks. Very elusive. More than any other college qb last year, I think he stood out in this regard. Does that mean that he'd be able to use that ability in the NFL to his team's advantage? Would he continue to mature and not take unnecessary risks? As of right now, the NFL doesn't think so. I think there's a place for him to be used creatively in the league, even if he's not a franchise QB. Still hoping he gets his shot.
After feeling the pressure he still has to throw the ball like an NFL qb. Given he does not have elite arm strength, what elite throwing ability does he have to get the ball to recievers? He is not going to run 15 times per game and stay alive in the NFL. GM's and scouts understand this.

These arguments are stupid. It has nothing to do with his accuracy or arm strength or anything to do with being a QB. Just look at the FA QBs that got signed. Not the draftees but the FAs. Everything he does is better than some of them. There is no doubt it’s not about his abilities. None what so ever.

After feeling the pressure he still has to throw the ball like an NFL qb. Given he does not have elite arm strength, what elite throwing ability does he have to get the ball to recievers? He is not going to run 15 times per game and stay alive in the NFL. GM's and scouts understand this.

You did read that I wrote this: "Does that mean that he'd be able to use that ability in the NFL to his team's advantage? Would he continue to mature and not take unnecessary risks? As of right now, the NFL doesn't think so."

You asked:

I gave you one thing I think he is "elite in on an NFL level."

These arguments are stupid. It has nothing to do with his accuracy or arm strength or anything to do with being a QB. Just look at the FA QBs that got signed. Not the draftees but the FAs. Everything he does is better than some of them. There is no doubt it’s not about his abilities. None what so ever.
Dungey is a SU legend but he doesn’t throw the ball as well as NFL QBs.
He can play in the NFL but he isn’t going to be a QB.
Plenty of college QBs switch positions in the NFL.
It’s not a knock on the kid. His passing isn’t consistent enough to be a NFL QB.

You did read that I wrote this: "Does that mean that he'd be able to use that ability in the NFL to his team's advantage? Would he continue to mature and not take unnecessary risks? As of right now, the NFL doesn't think so."

You asked:

I gave you one thing I think he is "elite in on an NFL level."
Yes. Of course I included that because I knew it would be the first response, if I didn't. If you look at the context of my question, we were talking about throwing the ball. Your response wasn't wrong, but it doesn't address the primary question about Dungey's ability to be a NFL qb.

There are no questions about his character, so what is it?

You're right, these arguments are stupid. Why isn't it enough for him to be a SU football legend.

There are no questions about his character, so what is it?

You're right, these arguments are stupid. Why isn't it enough for him to be a SU football legend.
Injury prone over his college career, considered to be not durable, whether true or not.

Injury prone over his college career, considered to be not durable, whether true or not.
That certainly has to be a factor and enough to explain why he would go undrafted. I'd be surprised if that kept him out of a camp considering there is no commitment required from the team and very little financial burden.

It’s not a knock on the kid. His passing isn’t consistent enough to be a NFL QB.

Either does Daniel Jones, but here we are.

Either does Daniel Jones, but here we are.
Dave Gettleman is a moron and David Cutcliffe’s association with the Mannings got that kid taken that high.

Daniel Jones is a worse version of Jake Locker in the NFL.

You didn’t read my post did you?

you speak as if you have built nfl rosters. i can't find your name anywhere...

That certainly has to be a factor and enough to explain why he would go undrafted. I'd be surprised if that kept him out of a camp considering there is no commitment required from the team and very little financial burden.
I certainly hope he gets a shot from someone, but I feel that can be the only reason no one has asked him to camp so far, when lesser athletes and QBs have received such offers.
NFL is particularly concerned about the concussion issue, and may be avoiding what they feel may be an elevated risk.

To ask again, is it unrealistic to think he still has a chance for an invite?

If it's true that 31 other QBs have invites, even knowing the cons, it seems like a head scratcher that he doesn't have an invite to be a camp arm. Even just for due diligence.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom