ESPN article on succession plans at Duke, UNC & Syracuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN article on succession plans at Duke, UNC & Syracuse

There’s a ton of talent upstate from Buffalo to Albany to the Hudson Valley and last I checked we are the main school here. There’s multiple NBA players from Upstate that have been drafted in the past 3 years.

And unlike football the hoops program has had good success with the Philly/Baltimore/DC areas as well

There’s a ton of talent upstate from Buffalo to Albany to the Hudson Valley and last I checked we are the main school here. There’s multiple NBA players from Upstate that have been drafted in the past 3 years.

I wouldn’t say tons. There’s some.

The immediate Syracuse area is definitely not a fertile recruiting area most years at least not on the same level as Raleigh/Durham/Charlotte. Of course NYC is but that is still 4 hrs from campus which is probably similar distance to Washington DC for Duke and UNC.

Eh, between Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, there’s a decent amount of prospects considering we’re the only program in the state anybody cares about.

We’re the closest program to the burgeoning b-ball scene in Eastern Canada.

We’re reasonably close to NYC, Philly, Boston, and then DC and Baltimore are in our wheelhouse too.

Huerter, Stewart, Bryant...just a bummer that we were so jacked up that we didn’t/couldn’t get any of them.

Toronto/Rochester/Buffalo absolutely churns out basketball talent

On our level? I haven’t seen it. 3 star recruits, sure. They get the occasional 4 star or better, but I don’t think they’re pumping them out regularly.

Plan: JB dies on the court at 104yo, after yelling at a player for not guarding the corner 3. Buddy Boeheim takes over as head coach for the next 50 years.
We are on the verge of medical breakthrough. Generation Buddy Boeheim is in will live to 1,000 years old. So Buddy could be Syracuse coach for 950 years. But too late for Jim Boeheim. He is lucky to live to be 120 years old.

OrangeDW and I just named about 10 guys from the past 5 years along the Thruway. You can win a title with that team. We didn't sign ANY of them.

We define some terms differently. 10 players (some of those guys are a stretch) along the Thruway in 5 years is not a “ton” or “churning them out.”

We define some terms differently. 10 players (some of those guys are a stretch) along the Thruway in 5 years is not a “ton” or “churning them out.”

There is zero difference in the talent produced in New York as there is in North Carolina. Don’t believe me just go to the state rankings on 2 4 7. We have done a terrible job keeping talent in state. Meanwhile the Carolina schools never let those kids leave.

Huerter, Stewart, Bryant...just a bummer that we were so jacked up that we didn’t/couldn’t get any of them.

That's why Hopkind needs to be the heir at Hc. He will get that talent.

There is zero difference in the talent produced in New York as there is in North Carolina. Don’t believe me just go to the state rankings on 2 4 7. We have done a terrible job keeping talent in state. Meanwhile the Carolina schools never let those kids leave.

Because we have a weak link on the staff when it comes to recruiting. Gmac cant people admit this. Legendary player good assistant coach but when it comes to recruiting talent he is a weak link.

Alan Griffin. His brother who's going to Duke. Andre Jackson. Symir Torrence. Roddy Gayle. Chris Duarte. Dalano Banton. Hameir Wright...Naz Carter
Hop tried to put that team together and is now on the hotseat after it.

OrangeDW and I just named about 10 guys from the past 5 years along the Thruway. You can win a title with that team. We didn't sign ANY of them.
Some of these are a stretch to consider high level recruits like Duarte, Torrence, Wright, and Naz Carter. There are some high level recruits (Stewart and Bryant) but not in the same ballparkt as UNC or Duke's immediate recruiting area (won't even factor in SC which has areas closer to those campuses then the Hudson Valley is to Syracuse).

Players don’t like staying upstate. Our weather is lame and the girls at southern schools are hot. We’ve landed good players from upstate in the past. Stewart went with Hop. Bryant wanted to get away from his mom. There wasn’t a scholarship for Huerter (who wasn’t highly touted anyway).

Some of these are a stretch to consider high level recruits like Duarte, Torrence, Wright, and Naz Carter. There are some high level recruits (Stewart and Bryant) but not in the same ballparkt as UNC or Duke's immediate recruiting area (won't even factor in SC which has areas closer to those campuses then the Hudson Valley is to Syracuse).

Look at the 2 4 7 rankings if you don’t believe me. There’s no discernible difference year to year. The highest rated player in North Carolina this year is 55. He’s going to UNC. Symir Torrence was rated 75.

Saying South Carolina is close to those schools is like saying Philadelphia is close to here.

LOL ESPN has no clue. Red is the only option out of that list and he's going to be in the 3rd group that is (national search + Red interview).

JW loves Nate Oats. legit was starstruck when UB came into the dome and handled us. He'll get a call

Take out the NYC area and I see a significant difference in rankings. 2021 NY has 1 5 star/top 100 player in Griffin's brother who plays in White Plains which is not exactly SU's immediate recruiting area. The next top 8 are all 3 star recruits (0 top 100) and none from outside LI or NYC. I look at NC for 2021 and see 5 4 star/top 100 players.

For 2020, NY has 3 4 star/top 100 players and Andre Jackson was the only one from upstate. NC had 3 either 5 or 4 star/top 100 players.

NYC/LI is definitely not in the immediate area for SU recruiting as wer 4 hrs away and many other schools much closer.

LOL ESPN has no clue. Red is the only option out of that list and he's going to be in the 3rd group that is (national search + Red interview).

JW loves Nate Oats. legit was starstruck when UB came into the dome and handled us. He'll get a call

Good. Oats deserves a call. I don't care if he went at K. Shows he has a spine. JB has been vocal at pressers when he felt it needed, Oats did the same.

Look at the 2 4 7 rankings if you don’t believe me. There’s no discernible difference year to year. The highest rated player in North Carolina this year is 55. He’s going to UNC. Symir Torrence was rated 75.

Saying South Carolina is close to those schools is like saying Philadelphia is close to here.
Philly is probably closer to Syracuse than say Queens. The SC border is probably 2 hours from either Duke or UNC CH's campus My only point was the article stating that SU is not in a fertile recruiting area is accurate. .

Philly is probably closer to Syracuse than say Queens. The SC border is probably 2 hours from either Duke or UNC CH's campus My only point was the article stating that SU is not in a fertile recruiting area is accurate. .

You literally looked at one year LOL. Will you at least admit we have done a terrible job keeping kids in state? And it's not like they are going to warm weather schools.

Sometimes it’s hard to keep track of New York State recruits, because they go to prep schools so often. Dior and JJ for example. I think having an exciting program would keep local kids home. But, we are a national brand. With the right style, we will recruit nationally again.

You literally looked at one year LOL. Will you at least admit we have done a terrible job keeping kids in state? And it's not like they are going to warm weather schools.
I looked at 2 years...2020 and 2021. The article was correct in stating that SU is not situated in a basketball recruiting hotbed where the other 2 schools have that advantage. Not trying to take away anything from Upstate NY HS basketball just pointing out that the writer was correct.

SU has not done a good job at keeping kids in state that they are interested in. Stewart, Bryant, Jackson, and Gayle were definite swings and misses. Huerter was a backup and I don't think SU had recruited most of the others mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom