ESPN article on succession plans at Duke, UNC & Syracuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN article on succession plans at Duke, UNC & Syracuse

You literally looked at one year LOL. Will you at least admit we have done a terrible job keeping kids in state? And it's not like they are going to warm weather schools.

FWIW, I'll wholeheartedly agree with you on doing a terrible job keeping nearby in state kids here vs. the same in the Carolinas.

I also agree on your overall sentiment relative to the comparative talent level in the Carolinas vs. Upstate, etc. I've been living in the Charlotte area for over two and a half decades now, and the Carolinas aren't pumping out a lot of one and doner types, but talent similar to the rankings as to what you mention. However, just more of those types due to the constant growth & expansion here.

Additionally, the border distance argument is really a non-factor IMO. SC has two larger areas, Columbia, SC and Greenville, SC. Greenville is real cool and growing, Columbia is a dump, but I digress. The point, the Columbia area is about 3.5 to 3.75 hours from the Raleigh-Chapel Hill area, and Greenville, SC is about 4.25 to 4.5 hours. So, pretty similar to the point you're arguing. Who cares how close the the Carolina schools are to the borders. I mean, NYS is close to the PA border, but it's not like we are landing recruits from Pittsburgh/Western PA.

You literally looked at one year LOL. Will you at least admit we have done a terrible job keeping kids in state? And it's not like they are going to warm weather schools.
Donovan Mitchell is another example. Grew up in Westchester and went to Brewster Academy. Both in our wheelhouse. He was ranked 38th and his final five were Louisville, BC, FSU, Nova and Providence. We never sniffed him.

The fact that is behind the Espn plus paywall is a joke. We were an afterthought in that exchange just because we fit the mold. They should have left us out vs that drivel. Waste of a read.

New York is at worst a top 3 State for basketball recruiting.

The state produces talent every year.

Syracuse will have a boatload of talent in its region for recruiting.

Plus we can recruit the I-95 corridor and New England prep schools which are loaded with talent.

Players don’t like staying upstate. Our weather is lame and the girls at southern schools are hot. We’ve landed good players from upstate in the past. Stewart went with Hop. Bryant wanted to get away from his mom. There wasn’t a scholarship for Huerter (who wasn’t highly touted anyway).
Flynn, Harris, Triche, Rautins, Coleman. Even go back to 87 and 96 when the two team captains both years were upstate NY kids.

That article was cr@p, should get our $5.99 back.

This isn't football, local and regional talent isn't an issue.
Yes, that was really bad journalism. Schools like Duke and UNC have regularly recruited the fertile Northeast to stay relevant in college basketball. The quality of HS basketball in the Carolinas is better now than it used to be but it is not as good as the hoops in the Northeast. Not close.

Syracuse is in a great place to recruit basketball players. Within 4 or 5 hours of NYC, Toronto, Philly, Boston, Buffalo, etc. There are more top notch HSA/prep basketball players in our 4 hour radius than any other school in the ACC.

Period.

New York is at worst a top 3 State for basketball recruiting.

The state produces talent every year.

Syracuse will have a boatload of talent in its region for recruiting.

Plus we can recruit the I-95 corridor and New England prep schools which are loaded with talent.
We've been losing out on locals since AAU became hugely popular and top kids all went to prep schools. Not sure there is a correlation but it does seem like more schools than ever are in the mix. I know it's nothing new because NYC and Philly kids forever like Billy Cunningham, Connie Hawkins, Doc Rivers, Nate Archibald, Wilt, Andre McCarter, Jim Spanarkle and a million more have packed their bags but it's a lot more schools. And we are not a preferred stop.

Lol these articles are terrible. Willard is never happening. Neither is Cooley.
who is cooley btw?? Obvisouly not much of a name cause i damn near know nothing about him

We've been losing out on locals since AAU became hugely popular and top kids all went to prep schools. Not sure there is a correlation but it does seem like more schools than ever are in the mix. I know it's nothing new because NYC and Philly kids forever like Billy Cunningham, Connie Hawkins, Doc Rivers, Nate Archibald, Wilt, Andre McCarter, Jim Spanarkle and a million more have packed their bags but it's a lot more schools. And we are not a preferred stop.

I'd be fine with it if we were losing all of these kids to Duke/UK/UNC, but lately it's Ohio State, UConn, Maryland, Indiana, Marquette...etc...

NYC has produced the college player of the last year in Obi Toppin.

None of the big boys went after him
And he became POY at Dayton.
Jimmer Fredette says hi!!! We got lucky with Tyler Lydon but need more stories like him. I'm still pissed we took Mookie Jones and not Kevin Jones.

I'd be fine with it if we were losing all of these kids to Duke/UK/UNC, but lately it's Ohio State, UConn, Maryland, Indiana, Marquette...etc...
Exactly

That's why I've never had a problem with Jimmy not wanting to go out of the Northeast. There's PLENTY of talent especially with our great relationships with the prep schools and AAU teams. It was just the recruiting "effort" where I've always had the problem. I know Francis has beaten this thing to death but when our assistants are going up against Head Coaches, that's a problem. If there is anything that I'm excited for the most when we do get a new coach, it's seeing our HC hustle out there more than just falling asleep at AAU tournaments and being that last call/visit attendee. Like no, you need to grind. The guy who gets the most 5 star/1 and done players (Cal) is still grinding like it's his first year at UK.

+1 on this. 100% agree. You throw your hands up to the blue bloods and I NEVER blame a kid for wanting to go to one of those schools that every single damn game is on TV but we're losing kids to schools that have no business getting our recruits, that's where my eyebrows raise up and makes me think...was it effort? were we not trying hard enough? was our assistants doing all the heavy lifting? Can we not outline a plan for the recruit? etc

Yes, that was really bad journalism. Schools like Duke and UNC have regularly recruited the fertile Northeast to stay relevant in college basketball. The quality of HS basketball in the Carolinas is better now than it used to be but it is not as good as the hoops in the Northeast. Not close.

Syracuse is in a great place to recruit basketball players. Within 4 or 5 hours of NYC, Toronto, Philly, Boston, Buffalo, etc. There are more top notch HSA/prep basketball players in our 4 hour radius than any other school in the ACC.

Period.
Agree, lots of regional talent but little local talent.

idk his first name but im sure if i put cooley something will pop up
Ed Cooley. HC at Providence. Been there a while now. Pretty good recruiter.

Told y'all. As should be the case.

Nonsense.

They can have their say, but at the end of the day it is the AD's job / role / obligation to make the call. The alumni won't lose their job if the hire is the wrong guy, so their input will be nothing more than that -- input to the actual decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom