ESPN article on succession plans at Duke, UNC & Syracuse | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN article on succession plans at Duke, UNC & Syracuse

Not really an answer. Has he taken the program to new heights ? No and who exactly big time has he recruited ?
He’s done a very good job at Providence. He’s just an interesting candidate...unlikely as it would happen here.

As others have mentioned, Hop is getting the first call. His bargaining power coming home has taken a bit of a hit though.

I bet he can’t wait to get back East.

this thread is a disaster.

no surprise.
Not sure why we needed a coaching succession thread. I thought we could do that in every thread.

Since we're talking coaches...Cronin's doing a good job at UCLA, after they whiffed on Calapari, Dixon, and Barnes. He's 12-2 and undefeated in the Pac so far this year. He got a 6 year 24 mil contract. If SU went out of family, that's the caliber of coach and contract we could be looking at.

Amazes me with the downturn Hop Washington program is on why wouldnt he be the guy. Hes going to get a call everybody was worried he wouldnt come back if he had success at UW well that is not happening.
Great. Hire the guy with the track record of not winning

We talked about this article on one of our shows this week. I was kinda thrown off by the external candidate names that were thrown out there. I get that they are having success at power conference programs on the east coast, but I think there's more to it than just that at an institution like Syracuse who hasn't had to make a men's basketball head coaching hire in 45 years.

I also don't think Hop's struggles really indicate the coach he is. He's got 2 PAC-12 Coach of the Year's for a reason. If he had taken a job like BC, I think he would have much better success since he's probably got a much stronger east coast recruiting base. But we'll see how interested he is in the job. I can't imagine he would turn it down.

What was Joe Torre record before the Yankees hired him 1996 ? Doesn't matter specially when it comes to Hop.
Hulk, my friend this is probably one of your best points on here.
Well done. It’s legitimately right on the money. Even though I trust RF that will we be doing a national search post-JB.
MH will be part of it I am sure but it will be a national search.

What was Joe Torre record before the Yankees hired him 1996 ? Doesn't matter specially when it comes to Hop.

Interesting how you go all “what has Cooley ever won at Providence?” but you don’t apply the same standards to Hop at Washington.

Interesting how you go all “what has Cooley ever won at Providence?” but you don’t apply the same standards to Hop at Washington.

Hop recruited a bushel of talent to Cuse and played a big part in the program, literally knows where all the bodies are buried. I think our friend got it right with this one.

(Personally my opinion is the better we are on judgement day the less likely the next coach is outside the current payroll)

Well, if he needs a team that pays top dollar for players to win, SU isn’t it.
SU needs a 30-40 YO hotshot recruiter/coach

Hopkins will have the support of the JB, The University (Alumni and former players), The fan base and the community.

And more recently, two consecutive last place conference finishes

That will have no impact. Our recruiting immediately takes a leap with Hopkins. He was killing it on the recruiting trail for us.

Hop recruited a bushel of talent to Cuse and played a big part in the program, literally knows where all the bodies are buried. I think our friend got it right with this one.

(Personally my opinion is the better we are on judgement day the less likely the next coach is outside the current payroll)

Then he should be knocking Cooley as a candidate based on him not being a Cuse guy or a fit, or whatever.

saying “what has he won”, while touting Hop as the only candidate is some odd logic.

JW job and career are secure.
Every AD is one bad decision away from the unemployment line. Replacing JB is going to be the biggest hiring decision at SUAD possibly ever. If the program isn’t successful under the new coach, he’s out. A new AD will be hired to fix the program.

Every AD is one bad decision away from the unemployment line. Replacing JB is going to be the biggest hiring decision at SUAD possibly ever. If the program isn’t successful under the new coach, he’s out. A new AD will be hired to fix the program.
That is total crap. JW is the SU AD for as long he wants to be.

That is total crap. JW is the SU AD for as long he wants to be.
I disagree. If JW hires a new basketball coach and the team has two sub .500 seasons in a row he will be the scapegoat.

Hulk just say it’s your opinion.
You can’t say it like you know.
If it’s your opinion then explain it.

MH will be a candidate but he isn’t a lock and the search should be to find the best candidate. Not just who is a Cuse guy.
This Cuse only staff stuff has turned SU into the royal family. Inbreeding eventually destroys.

This Cuse only staff stuff has turned SU into the royal family. Inbreeding eventually destroys.
This years team is fully stocked. The injury to Sidibe and the covid situation have made it appear that the program is still in the sanctions era malaise, but it's not. The spread against Vtech , one of the stronger teams in the ACC, is very telling. Their algorithms are pointing to Syracuse getting on track and will be one of the top rung teams in the league.

This years team is fully stocked. The injury to Sidibe and the covid situation have made it appear that the program is still in the sanctions era malaise, but it's not. The spread against Vtech , one of the stronger teams in the ACC, is very telling. Their algorithms are pointing to Syracuse getting on track and will be one of the top rung teams in the league.
Thanks for the update Polly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom