ESPN counting down top 50 programs of the past 50 years | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN counting down top 50 programs of the past 50 years

UCLA and Kentucky are, in my opinion (and this isn't really going out on a limb), 1 and 2 and it's not really close after that.

I love.... Vacated Season Minus - 2 points.

As if eliminating the achievements of the vacated season wasn't enough...but, assuming it isn't, its only a loss of 2 points. If you are going to pile on, shouldn't it be more like, Minus - 25 points, the inverse of winning a National Title.

UCLA and Kentucky are, in my opinion (and this isn't really going out on a limb), 1 and 2 and it's not really close after that.

I dunno, to me I think UNC and Duke are both right there also. Especially if we're just going by the last 50 years. Carolina has 16 final fours and 3 titles over that period. Duke has 15 and 4 National titles. Kentucky has "only" 10 final fours and 4 national titles.

I dunno, to me I think UNC and Duke are both right there also. Especially if we're just going by the last 50 years. Carolina has 16 final fours and 3 titles over that period. Duke has 15 and 4 National titles. Kentucky has "only" 10 final fours and 4 national titles.
You're right, I keep forgetting about the "last 50 years" caveat. I was basing that more on all-time.

And each of those schools seems to be over .800 every year, even when they don't rack up points for tournament success.

Boeheim's done well in that regard (only two sub-.600 seasons and 11 over-.800 seasons; but for Illinois and Vermont, it'd be 13 over-.800s), but Duke and UNC regularly put together those ~30-4 seasons.

I think we beat Kentucky 4 of their 8 NC are pre 1962 and they had some leaner periods that will hurt them.

If we're higher than Kentucky, then the entire poll immediately loses all credibility.

It is top 50, not top 500.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
I did see their complete list, beyond the top 50, and Rutgers was on it. They ranked just ahead of Kirkland College for women, who interestingly enough didn't even have a varsity basketball team, but they did offer a half credit athletic class in basketball/badmitton that was usually half full of chubby unathletic girls. Rutgers just edged them out, which is pretty cool.

I'll go ahead and add up all our points...

Edit:
LOL never mind. Some of it's too confusing and vague. Here's some of the easier one's done.

Since '62.

Conference titles - (10) = 50

Conference tourney titles - (5) = 15

Number 1 seeds - (3) = 6

Tourney appearances - (34) = 34

Round of 32 losses - (11) = 33

Sweet 16 losses - (12) = 60

Elite 8 losses - (4) = 40

Final 4 loss - (1) = 15

Title losses - (2) = 40

Title win - (1) = 25

Win percentage = 112

That's 430 points right there...

Interesting ranking.
I threw some numbers together via Wikipedia. Just based on the NCAA tourney and conference finishes & titles, I have UCONN with 301 pts and Cuse with 215.
Edit – what I realized is I did not count 1st and 2nd round NCAA tourney losses.
Also, what does Cuse get for conference points while being an independent until 1979??
Individual players: UCONN has had 11 first round NBA picks & I believe 13 All Americans. What about Cuse??? And who’s All-American team do you use in figuring this? Many first team and 2nd teams differ.
I didn't dig into the winning % part..

Edit:
LOL never mind. Some of it's too confusing and vague. Here's some of the easier one's done.

Since '62.

Number 1 seeds - (3) = 6

Final 4 loss - (1) = 15

Title losses - (2) = 40

Title win - (1) = 25

Win percentage = 112

Adding...

All-Americans:
Sherman Douglas
Billy Owens
DC
Wes Johnson
Hakim Warrick
Total = 15 points

Second Team AA:
Rudy Hackett
Wallace
Melo
Total = 6 points

Players taken in Top 10:
Melo
DC
Flynn
Johnson
Owens
Seikaly
Waiters
Total = 14 points

Edit:

Since '62.

Number 1 seeds - (3) = 6

Final 4 loss - (1) = 15

Title losses - (2) = 40

Title win - (1) = 25

Win percentage = 112

in the last few years before the Big East, Syracuse was involved in the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC). It wasn't a conference in the truest sense of the word - there was no regular season or even a set of round robin games, all the members were still independents, but it did have a post season tournament, the winner of which would get in the NCAA tournament. SU won 4 of 5 of those tournaments (74-75, 75-76, 76-77 and 78-79). I wonder if they will count as conference tournament titles?

Adding...

All-Americans:
Sherman Douglas
Billy Owens
DC
Wes Johnson
Hakim Warrick
Total = 15 points

Second Team AA:
Rudy Hackett
Wallace
Melo
Total = 6 points

Players taken in Top 10:
Melo
DC
Flynn
Johnson
Owens
Seikaly
Waiters
Total = 14 points

Adding...

Season Win %

I came up with 104 points.

It's going to be a long time til Friday. :(

Down to top 10,UCLA,North Carolina,Duke,Indiana,Kansas,Kentucky, 4 Big east schools Louisville,Uconn,Syracuse and surprising Pitt.

Down to top 10,UCLA,North Carolina,Duke,Indiana,Kansas,Kentucky, 4 Big east schools Louisville,Uconn,Syracuse and surprising Pitt.
no way its pitt. how about arizona?

Im pretty sure this is who is left:

Cuse
UNC
Uconn
Zona
Lville
Kansas
UCLA
Duke
Indiana
UK

Im guessing Cuse and Zona will be the next two listed.

Pitt didnt make the Top 50...neither did WVU...or Wisky.

Agreed. We've been consistently more successful over the last 50 years but they've had higher highs than us recently, which probably gives them the edge. I think we should be ahead of Zona though.

Agreed. We've been consistently more successful over the last 50 years but they've had higher highs than us recently, which probably gives them the edge. I think we should be ahead of Zona though.
We have played for the NC 3 times the difference between loosing and winning is only 5pts in there scoring system.

We have played for the NC 3 times the difference between loosing and winning is only 5pts in there scoring system.
We've played for it, but only won it once. UConn has won it more than we have. I think we are a historically better program but expect them to be ranked higher.

We've played for it, but only won it once. UConn has won it more than we have. I think we are a historically better program but expect them to be ranked higher.
But that is only a net 10pts over us, we will score a ton more points than them in the 70s and early 80s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom