ESPN counting down top 50 programs of the past 50 years | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN counting down top 50 programs of the past 50 years

Ranking the conferences after the upcoming realignment you will see:

% of teams in Top 50 (min 2 teams in Top 50)
BE 67%
B1G 50%
ACC 43%
SEC 43%
B12 40%
WCC 33%
P12 25%
Ivy 25%
A10 14%

% of teams in Top 40
BE 61%
B1G 50%
B12 40%
ACC 29%
SEC 29%
P12 25%
Ivy 25%
WCC 22%
A10 14%

% in Top 25
BE 44%
B1G 42%
P12 25%
Ivy 25%
ACC 21%
SEC 14%
B12 10%

% in Top 10
ACC 21%
P12 17%
BE 11%
B12 10%
B1G 8%
SEC 7%

Some thoughts:

How sick would the BE be if the ACC had taken RU instead of SU? They would have 13 Top 50, 12 Top 40, 9 Top 25, and 3 Top 10 schools.

CUSA and the MWC are down to one Top 50 team each.

The WCC is up to 3 teams.

No Pitt lol.

P12 sucks.

So how does Michigan end up 13 when they had to vacate:

1992 NCAA Runner Up
1993 NCAA Runner Up
1997 NIT Championship
1998 Big Ten Tournament Championship

1993 All American Honors for Webber

I note they list the 1992-1993 team as one of their three best and Chris Webber as one of the top 5?? Is that before or after its results were vacated and is Webber allowed to be associated with the program yet? If I'm not mistaken he might be banned from association with the program until after next season (2013). Maybe they got bonus points for being such bad boys.

So how does Michigan end up 13 when they had to vacate:

1992 NCAA Runner Up
1993 NCAA Runner Up
1997 NIT Championship
1998 Big Ten Tournament Championship

1993 All American Honors for Webber

I note they list the 1992-1993 team as one of their three best and Chris Webber as one of the top 5?? Is that before or after its results were vacated and is Webber allowed to be associated with the program yet? If I'm not mistaken he might be banned from association with the program until after next season (2013). Maybe they got bonus points for being such bad boys.

I believe they get the points for the wins but get deductions for the games (seasons) being vacated.

Uconn in at 9, Looks like the 3 championships weren't enough to be ahead of us afterall. #8 Not bad at all.

Our starting 5:

Sherman
Bing
Billy O
Carmelo
DC

With these guys coming off the bench:

Moten
Wallace
GMac

Nothing against any of those guys, but how on earth does Pearl Washington get so little respect?

Our starting 5:

Sherman
Bing
Billy O
Carmelo
DC

Moten
Wallace
GMac

Nothing against any of those guys, but how on earth does Pearl Washington get so little respect?
Wow, good call on Pearl, he changed SU basketball. Hate to say it, I think GMac might have to drop off that list for the Pearl. So many great players over the years, such a tough list to make, and we have all discussed it over and over again and nobody is wrong, but Pearl HAS to be on that list.

Yep, we're number 8. UConn fans can't fathom that we are ahead of them. Because college basketball started in 1990.

Only some can't fathom it. It's not completely shocking considering how close both schools are/have been.

You also realize UConn was ahead in the 60's, right?

In reality the 80's just killed UConn. Cuse had a 109 point lead in that ten year span. Hard to come back from that and yet it has closed to 8 points. Heck, if this was done last year instead of this year, UConn would be ahead by 10+ points. I think if anything this reflects how strong both programs have been, as well as how close.

You can make a pretty sweet '2nd Team' without any of those guys

G - Pearl Washington
G- Stephen Thompson
Preston Shumpert
Hakim Warrick
C- Rony Seikaly

Roosevelt Bouie
Jason Hart
Rudy Hackett?

Only some can't fathom it. It's not completely shocking considering how close both schools are/have been.

You also realize UConn was ahead in the 60's, right?

In reality the 80's just killed UConn. Cuse had a 109 point lead in that ten year span. Hard to come back from that and yet it has closed to 8 points. Heck, if this was done last year instead of this year, UConn would be ahead by 10+ points. I think if anything this reflects how strong both programs have been, as well as how close.
You are right, I don't mean to generalize all UConn fans. And I think it is simply that Syracuse has had a very consistant excellence over the past 50 years. With no real lows, but only one really high. While UConn has had more peaks and valleys, with those peaks being the ultimate peaks.

G - Pearl Washington
G- Stephen Thompson
Preston Shumpert
Hakim Warrick
C- Rony Seikaly

Roosevelt Bouie
Jason Hart
Rudy Hackett?
Don't forget Raf Addison.

You are right, I don't mean to generalize all UConn fans. And I think it is simply that Syracuse has had a very consistant excellence over the past 50 years. With no real lows, but only one really high. While UConn has had more peaks and valleys, with those peaks being the ultimate peaks.

I honestly didn't realize how bad UConn's 80's were. I knew that UConn was bad that decade but yeesh.

You are correct, some are pretty shocked, which is kind of odd. Even the current coaches have similar "stats". UConn does also have more peaks and valleys. It will be interesting to see where the next 25 years take the two schools.

G - Pearl Washington
G- Stephen Thompson
Preston Shumpert
Hakim Warrick
C- Rony Seikaly

Roosevelt Bouie
Jason Hart
Rudy Hackett?
Preston Shumpert wouldn't make the 10th team All Syracuse.

Preston Shumpert wouldn't make the 10th team All Syracuse.

Agree. Got to go to Louis Orr, who I haven't seen mentioned or maybe Marty Byrnes who also hasn't been mentioned.

Top 3 teams are listed as:
1986-87
1995-96
2002-03

Seems like they just picked the three teams with the best NCAA performance. Not sure anyone here would suggest '95-96 is among the best 3 teams during the period, probably not even top 5.

Our starting 5:

Sherman
Bing
Billy O
Carmelo
DC

Moten
Wallace
GMac

Re Pearl: No NCAA success. 3 second round exits. UVA, G Tech and Navy.

Jimmy Lee

I would base my all time team on players who made it to the final four

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom