ESPN counting down top 50 programs of the past 50 years | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN counting down top 50 programs of the past 50 years

Wow, good call on Pearl, he changed SU basketball. Hate to say it, I think GMac might have to drop off that list for the Pearl. So many great players over the years, such a tough list to make, and we have all discussed it over and over again and nobody is wrong, but Pearl HAS to be on that list.

Really Pearl fat, slow, no outside shot and no desire to really work on his game. God people really do romanticize the past Pearl was great but he broke into a sweat bringing the ball up court and his lack of lift resulted in Walter Berry's epic swat. GMAC less talanted but worked way harder and was directly responsible for 2003.

Really Pearl fat, slow, no outside shot and no desire to really work on his game. God people really do romanticize the past Pearl was great but he broke into a sweat bringing the ball up court and his lack of lift resulted in Walter Berry's epic swat. GMAC less talanted but worked way harder and was directly responsible for 2003.
You seriously underestimate just how good he was, and his impact on the Syracuse program. Directly responsible for what? I'm not trying to downplay his achievements, especially in '03--but you take Melo off that team and we might not win the Carrier Classic, let alone the national title.

Yep, we're number 8. UConn fans can't fathom that we are ahead of them. Because college basketball started in 1990.

Just like Pitt, who think college basketball started 12 years ago and last year was an exhibition year. They must be going buck wild over barely even cracking the Top 60! LOL.

Preston Shumpert wouldn't make the 10th team All Syracuse.

Because of the nightmare 01-02 season? Based on individual talent that seems ... hyperbolic. 8th all-time scoring. In terms of volume and accuracy I'd say he's a top 5 shooter in SU history, I won't argue where in the top 5 because that's seems pretty subjective.

Really Pearl fat, slow, no outside shot and no desire to really work on his game. God people really do romanticize the past Pearl was great but he broke into a sweat bringing the ball up court and his lack of lift resulted in Walter Berry's epic swat. GMAC less talanted but worked way harder and was directly responsible for 2003.[/quote

So, you are saying that GMac is better than the Pearl??!! :bat:

You seriously underestimate just how good he was, and his impact on the Syracuse program. Directly responsible for what? I'm not trying to downplay his achievements, especially in '03--but you take Melo off that team and we might not win the Carrier Classic, let alone the national title.

The 2003 team minus Melo and Duany went to the sweet 16.

I am saying GMac got way more out of his talent than Pearl ever dreamed about getting. Pearl was the 1980's version of Fab, perhaps if he spent a little less time at the bars and more time working on his game he would have gotten past the second round of the tourney.

I am saying GMac got way more out of his talent than Pearl ever dreamed about getting. Pearl was the 1980's version of Fab, perhaps if he spent a little less time at the bars and more time working on his game he would have gotten past the second round of the tourney.
Wow. Just wow.

My second team

Pearl PG
Devo SG
Dave Johnson SF
John Wallace PF
Etan C
Dave Johnson, good one, he was awesome. He just seemed like that he barely tapped into what he was capable of, with his athleticism and skills.

Wow. Just wow.
Yeah, I am on the wow train as well. Pearl was not a new millenium kind of player, although I think his skills would translate. But he wasn't a high flyer. He didn't dazzle with athleticism, he dazzled with basketball skills. I didn't watch alot of him or SU at that time, as I was young, but he could get wherever he wanted on the court and he was electric out on the break.

81% of responders think that the 02-03 team was better than 86-87.

I guess that says more about the age range of the people who voted than anything else.

DC would have abused everyone on that team during the game, then beat their a**es on Bourbon Street after the game.

81% of responders think that the 02-03 team was better than 86-87.

I guess that says more about the age range of the people who voted than anything else.

DC would have abused everyone on that team during the game, then beat their a**es on Bourbon Street after the game.

I think that is possible the 88-89 and/or 89-90 teams may have been better than all three of the championship game participants they listed.

The one thing this listing shows, if the ACC wants to kill the Big East take Louisville,Uconn and wait for Notre Dame. You would have 5 of top 9 basketball programs, with 2 of the up and coming football programs, both of who have money to spend.

Agree. Got to go to Louis Orr, who I haven't seen mentioned or maybe Marty Byrnes who also hasn't been mentioned.

Top 3 teams are listed as:
1986-87
1995-96
2002-03

Seems like they just picked the three teams with the best NCAA performance. Not sure anyone here would suggest '95-96 is among the best 3 teams during the period, probably not even top 5.

Should probably be:

1986-87
1988-89
2002-03

No Pearl? Ok, waste of time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

No Pearl? Ok, waste of time.

Pearl was a post-season choke artist that is why he isn't on the list. He got abused by Mark Price and managed to lead the team to an Epic loss to ... Navy.

Pearl was a post-season choke artist that is why he isn't on the list. He got abused by Mark Price and managed to lead the team to an Epic loss to ... Navy.
And your problem today outside of getting out of bed?

That's your opinion probably not shared by too many that are old enough to have watched Pearls career here. And I guess David Robinson had nothing to do with our loss to Navy. And only 1 time have we won it all so I guess we can condemn a lot of players.

THE DOME - THE HOUSE THAT PEARL BUILT.

And your problem today outside of getting out of bed?

Let's not elevate Pearl above where he should be. Sherman was a much better PG and a better leader. The 1986-87 season was addition by subtraction.

This thought process also goes against the whole 50 for 50 philosophy. What's great about the list is that it puts emphasis on consistency over time, not one or two moments where players, coaches and programs are completely fallible.

Let's not elevate Pearl above where he should be. Sherman was a much better PG and a better leader. The 1986-87 season was addition by subtraction.

Yes, let's not elevate him above where he should be.

1st team All Big East all 3 years
1st team AA junior season
BEC 25th anniversary 1st team
BE Rookie of the year
BET MVP
6-1 in 1 pt games in his SU career
Retired jersey
#3 player in SU history as selected by various panels
SU All Century team
1st big time SU recruit in the modern era
Built the Dome
Clutch