ESPN counting down top 50 programs of the past 50 years | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN counting down top 50 programs of the past 50 years

Not only was that 2004 team missing Melo,and Duany but Billy E was gone also. Many people keep forgetting the 2nd round game against Oklahoma St, when we were down big in the 1st half melo on the bench with 3 fouls. Billy took that game over and willed us to the win. Without his performance we would have gone home. Gerry after Billy was able to join the team, became great at coming off screens, and was great at the catch and shoot.

Look don't change the goal posts because you're getting called out. You said the 2003 team minus Melo wouldn't "win the Carrier Classic.". I think any reasonable person would take that to mean that the team would be pretty terrible. Given the same team minus Melo and Duany made the sweet 16 I think most would disagree. It may fall below your standards but but it's certainly not terrible by any definition.
lol that's getting called out? Good thing for me I'm not all that sensitive and don't let internet forum discussions get me mad. You took my post at it's word and not for what it was meant to be-- it happens.

And I don't consider that particular team making the Sweet 16 a success, so I guess we differ on opinions of the word there as well. Again, it happens.

lol that's getting called out? Good thing for me I'm not all that sensitive and don't let internet forum discussions get me mad. You took my post at it's word and not for what it was meant to be-- it happens.

And I don't consider that particular team making the Sweet 16 a success, so I guess we differ on opinions of the word there as well. Again, it happens.

I mean, they might have underachieved a bit (they had quite a bit of talent and were preseason top-ten). But they did about as well as expected, considering their bracket. Played pretty poorly in spotting Alabama a big lead, but we wouldn't have advanced past the regional final, anyway.

As someone said, losing Edelin before the Providence game really hurt. So did McNamara's midseason injury. So did that miserable second half against Boston College in the Big East (dropping us a seed and sending us out west with Connecticut).

Given those first two handicaps, it's not a stretch to call the Sweet Sixteen a success.

I guess people must have different definitions of athleticism. Pearl did things on the court that others could only dream of. He was great taking the ball to the rim and carrying the team on his back. When Pearl was on the court, it was "his" team. No question about it. Of course he had some downside, but there is a reason he is Syracuse legend and a first round NBA draft pick (13th).

If what someone can do with a basketball off the dribble and below the rim counts as athleticism, Pearl was plenty athletic.

I honestly didn't realize how bad UConn's 80's were. I knew that UConn was bad that decade but yeesh.

You are correct, some are pretty shocked, which is kind of odd. Even the current coaches have similar "stats". UConn does also have more peaks and valleys. It will be interesting to see where the next 25 years take the two schools.

Back in the Big East golden age of 9 team round robin play (1982-1990) storz made numerous appearances in the 8/9 game.

Dave Johnson, good one, he was awesome. He just seemed like that he barely tapped into what he was capable of, with his athleticism and skills.

Dave's problem was his tapping of jail bait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom