ESPN's David Hale ranked how he has ACC schools talent by position. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN's David Hale ranked how he has ACC schools talent by position.

You and zero sum. Yeah, he hit on some guys and missed on others. That’s another part of the problem, not the whole problem.

Shafer and Lester deserve credit for bringing him in. Shafer also gets the blame for our super small non-ACC secondary too
If a player is small but fast he will end up closer to the player that is taller but slow. Do you think he didn't want 6'3' 4 star guys in the secondary? He really never had any leverage to recruit as in his second year people already wanted him fired.

Its amazing how threads always somehow find a link back to Marrone or Shafer...really I am amazed...oh hold on one second...
6F8EE87E-0C3C-4256-B5DB-5D15D35BDFCE.gif

Hale has said “as a group”
He’s high in both guys
I think TD has all the makings of a great QB, but until someone plays a snap at the P5 level, I'm going to wait and see.

If a player is small but fast he will end up closer to the player that is taller but slow. Do you think he didn't want 6'3' 4 star guys in the secondary? He really never had any leverage to recruit as in his second year people already wanted him fired.

My understanding was always that Shafer actually wanted "smaller and faster" players. I'm sure he would have taken 4 star anything, but my impression is that he was consistently trying to recruit small and fast guys.

He made and won a bowl game at the P5 level.

Oh to play that schedule. Doeren, Clawson, Addazio all in the beginning of their tenures, and a Maryland program that was a mess.

Dino has to play catch up with this side of the ACC. Shafer got to start at the same time. He just went in the other direction.

My understanding was always that Shafer actually wanted "smaller and faster" players. I'm sure he would have taken 4 star anything, but my impression is that he was consistently trying to recruit small and fast guys.
Shafer was quoted as saying he preferred diamonds in the rough.
It really entertains me when people defend him.
I don’t dispute he was probably a good guy but he was clearly a horrible hire and set us back.

Oh to play that schedule. Doeren, Clawson, Addazio all in the beginning of their tenures, and a Maryland program that was a mess.

Dino has to play catch up with this side of the ACC. Shafer got to start at the same time. He just went in the other direction.
Chip, I'm will say this one more time real slow. The team was outmanned and down to 3rd string and walk-on QB's in 2014 and 2015. If it makes you feel better to drag the guy thru the mud when he was in a very untenable situation, go ahead.

Chip, I'm will say this one more time real slow. The team was outmanned and down to 3rd string and walk-on QB's in 2014 and 2015. If it makes you feel better to drag the guy thru the mud when he was in a very untenable situation, go ahead.

Can we at least admit that the defensive problems were his fault? He was a continuity hire and was directly responsible for recruiting the defensive players.

Can we at least admit that the defensive problems were his fault? He was a continuity hire and was directly responsible for recruiting the defensive players.
I'm not really interested in defending SS that much. Having stated that, his defense suffered because the offense was horrible, just like last years defense when ED was out.

I'm not really interested in defending SS that much. Having stated that, his defense suffered because the offense was horrible, just like last years defense when ED was out.

Yeah, I'd say it's different. Other than linebacker and Slayton, his defense was ENTIRELY turned over almost immediately.

Yeah, I'd say it's different. Other than linebacker and Slayton, his defense was ENTIRELY turned over almost immediately.
Our best defensive prospect on the team is Robinson somebody picked off the waiver wire from New Mexico State.

Our talent in the secondary was MAC level. Dino is increasing the size and team speed on defense which isn’t his foray.
Dino gets it. I can be patient waiting for the depth to grow up. Shafer was a continuity hire when the program was going thru a transition and needed a rebuild hire.

I'm saying that if your offense can't move the ball or at least posses the ball for periods of time, your defense is going to break down from neimg on the field for more plays.

I'm saying that if your offense can't move the ball or at least posses the ball for periods of time, your defense is going to break down from neimg on the field for more plays.

I agree with you entirely. I think that was the cause of our defensive struggles last year. Regardless, if you can't see that the level of talent on defense that we have now is markedly better than the talent we had under Shafer, then I can't help you. Our current defense is better at literally everything up to and including Shafer style defense.

I agree with you entirely. I think that was the cause of our defensive struggles last year. Regardless, if you can't see that the level of talent on defense that we have now is markedly better than the talent we had under Shafer, then I can't help you. Our current defense is better at literally everything up to and including Shafer style defense.
The classes have been ranked fairly good.

Nope. In his second year he was coming off the 2nd bowl win in a row (1 as DC, 1 as HC). They had just joined a better conference and done ok. The IPF was on the horizon. He has the best leverage of an coach in the past 20 years that year.

And he whiffed.

Nope. In his second year he was coming off the 2nd bowl win in a row (1 as DC, 1 as HC). They had just joined a better conference and done ok. The IPF was on the horizon. He has the best leverage of an coach in the past 20 years that year.

And he whiffed.
He was down to a walk on QB.

You keep saying that injury hurt his offense, but I think he made a really bad hire at OC. Compounded it by firing the guy in the middle of year 2. He personally blew up our offense.!

He was down to a walk on QB.

Ultimately. But right off the bat they laid that turd against Villanova. Then Maryland, then The Idiot Offensive Coordinator going crazy in the booth against Louisville. And so forth.

Shafer had problems with a full roster and he also struggled with injuries. He was not a good head coach (how "not good" he was I'll leave for others to decide) and he made things much worse with his indefensible hires. I'd have ducked out of the thread by now but I've gotta push back and restate that I really have no respect for adult professionals who make the kids' lives more difficult. And that's what the staff did with people like Jerome Smith and Rob Trudo, guys who expected and deserved professional instruction and instead were stuck with the incompetence of McDonald and Joe Adam.

Ultimately. But right off the bat they laid that turd against Villanova. Then Maryland, then The Idiot Offensive Coordinator going crazy in the booth against Louisville. And so forth.

Shafer had problems with a full roster and he also struggled with injuries. He was not a good head coach (how "not good" he was I'll leave for others to decide) and he made things much worse with his indefensible hires. I'd have ducked out of the thread by now but I've gotta push back and restate that I really have no respect for adult professionals who make the kids' lives more difficult. And that's what the staff did with people like Jerome Smith and Rob Trudo, guys who expected and deserved professional instruction and instead were stuck with the incompetence of McDonald and Joe Adam.
SU was driving to take a commanding lead when Hunt got hurt against Nova, then the game went array. Shafer was committed to implementing an up tempo spread offense and he thought McD could do it. Did you think it would be a easy quick transition to an entirely new style of play? People lost their ship in the first couple of games, and were going all over those guys.

SU was driving to take a commanding lead when Hunt got hurt against Nova, then the game went array. Shafer was committed to implementing an up tempo spread offense and he thought McD could do it. Did you think it would be a easy quick transition to an entirely new style of play? People lost their ship in the first couple of games, and were going all over those guys.

I had to look this up. No we weren’t. We were up by 3 on NOVA’s 40 yard line when Hunt got thrown out. That game was close of the whole time.

You do a good job trolling in a non obvious manner. It’s awesome.

I had to look this up. No we weren’t. We were up by 3 on NOVA’s 40 yard line when Hunt got thrown out. That game was close of the whole time.
It’s not worth it. He is doing kayfabe supporting Shafer.
I get the people who like him because he was kind with time to them or gave them access.
His tenure was a mistake and thankfully we are rectifying that and are in a 3-4 year rebuild.