Essentially played without a PG this year | Syracusefan.com

Essentially played without a PG this year

Henny & Coke

2nd String
Since Baylor game I've been trying to figure out where this season went wrong for SU. I had high expectations, coming off of a Sweet 16 finish & getting everyone back (plus Hughes & decent recruits).

Popular narrative around here lately has been how SU has not recruited PG & Centers well recently. So, I wanted to give that a little test - or, at least the PG part. My eyes told me it was true...that Frank Howard was not preforming well at all this season, and our offense was suffering because of it. But do the stats show this as well?

Because, on paper, PG should have been a solid position for SU in 2018-19. A returning Senior PG who had played well prior year! Talented new top 50 recruit! Well, that didn't turn out to be the case. Check it out. (Note: All stats are for games not including the NCAA Tournament.)

Frank Howard vs the Field (each team's leading assist player for every team in NCAA Tournament):

What stats do we want to focus on for a PG? Well, how about assists? That is essentially their main role - to facilitate offense & get players easy shots. Here's how Frank Howard compared:

Assists per Game:

Howard - 2.9 APG (Rank - #58th best)

NCAA Highest - 7.6 APG (C. Winston, Mich St)
NCAA Lowest - 2.5 APG (R. Duncan, Vermont)
How many better than Howard - 58 players out of 64.

Total Assists (Season):

Howard - 84 Assists (Rank - Tied for #64th best)

NCAA Highest - 311 Assists (J. Morant, Murray St)
NCAA Lowest - 84 Assists (F. Howard, SU & E. Worku, UC Irvine)
How many better than Howard - All, or 63 players of 64.

Ok, so that's not good (lol). How about Assist to Turnover ratio?

Assist to Turnover Ratio:

Howard - 1.42% (Rank - #50th best)

NCAA Highest - 3.56% (C. Winston, Mich St.)
NCAA Lowest - 1.00% (M. Howard, Marquette & D. Simonds, Georgia St.)
How many better than Howard - 50 players of 64.

Well, if a PG is not the "pass first" type, then he very well may be a scorer. How about shooting percentages?

FG %:

Howard - 365% (Rank - #65th best)

NCAA Highest - 555% (J. Tate, Northern Kentucky)
NCAA Lowest - 365% (F. Howard, SU)
How many better than Howard - ALL 64 of 64 players.
In fact, only 11 other players were below 400% FG. Next closest to FH was 374%.

3PT %:

Howard - 340% (Rank - #40th best)

NCAA Highest - 485% (S. Murphy, Woffard)
NCAA Lowest - 176% (R. Duncan, Vermont)
How many better than Howard - 39 players out of 64.

So...shooting wasn't exactly Frank's strong suit either. How about driving the lane, breaking down the defense? At the very least a PG could be causing havoc for the opposing defense by getting fouled and getting to the FT line. Or, FTAs are also indications the PG is driving and possibly dishing as well.

Free Throw Attempts per Game:

Howard - 1.4 FTA (Rank - #57th best)

NCAA Highest - 8.3 FTA (M. Howard, Marquette)
NCAA Lowest - 0.7 FTA (J. Bieniemy, Oklahoma)
How many better than Howard - 56 players out of 64.

I'm not prone to hyperbole - BUT, if I were, I would say "Syracuse LITERALLY played without a point guard this past season! OMFG!" Haha.

But, wow, look at some of these stats...they seem to back up "the eye test" to confirm that our Senior PG leader was not very good at all this year. (Sorry to pile on, FH - wish the stats could have exonerated you.)

One aspect that can absolutely (and should) get better in 2019-2020.

Last edited:
Our offense sucked. Frank this and Frank that. The whole offense stunk. Frank played poorly for a large part of this year but there’s a bigger issue imo.

Our offense sucked. Frank this and Frank that. The whole offense sucked. Frank played poorly for a large part of this year but there’s a bigger issue imo.

Point guard is the straw that stirs the drink. Keep that in mind, then go back and re-read that incredibly detailed and informative post.

The offense sucked for many reasons, but one in particular.

Guards can't drop dimes if guys aren't moving without the ball. What were our frontcourt players, minus Marek, doing most possessions? Watching the ball and standing still.

Frank had to drive and dish but didn't have the speed after the injury to drive consistently.

Point guard is the straw that stirs the drink. Keep that in mind, then go back and re-read that incredibly detailed and informative post.

A good QB with a bad O-line will be bad. A good QB with Receivers who can't get open will be bad.

Our offense sucked. Frank this and Frank that. The whole offense stunk. Frank played poorly for a large part of this year but there’s a bigger issue imo.

The stats just tell us what almost all of us already knew. LOL at the excuses.

OP’s post was awesome but nobody moves without the ball in our offense. We’re built around iso players who’s names aren’t Morant or Barrett. We slowed the game down, again, because of lack of transition (half Frank’s fault there). Many players fumbled or passed on good looks provided by our guards. We were a passive, low basketball iq offense. Very visible. I put part of the blame on Frank without a doubt. But lets not act like this offense was set up to offer the assists numbers and good shots Ennis’ and MCW’s were.

The stats just tell us what almost all of us already knew. LOL at the excuses.
Im not arguing that Frank didn’t play poorly.

A good QB with a bad O-line will be bad. A good QB with Receivers who can't get open will be bad.

If you are attempting to make the argument that Frank's poor performance was based upon the other players, you've got the argument largely backwards.

The talent on hand would have done much better with a true lead guard.

OP’s post was awesome but nobody moves without the ball in our offense. We’re built around iso players who’s names aren’t Morant or Barrett. We slowed the game down, again, because of lack of transition (half Frank’s fault there). Many players fumbled or passed on good looks provided by our guards. We were a passive, low basketball iq offense. Very visible. I put part of the blame on Frank without a doubt. But lets not act like this offense was set up to offer the assists numbers and good shots Ennis’ and MCW’s were.

Nonsense. This team had several guys who could shoot. They several players who could [and did] net double figures. They had athletes who could have thrived in transition.

Not suggesting that this collection of players was the well oiled machine that the 2010 was, but the raw materials should have led to better results. But, there was one important missing ingredient - a point guard to make everyone else better, and turn it from a group of separate, iso players into a cohesively performing, functioning offense. And -- I don't know -- maybe one that could offset their half court struggles by getting a an easy bucket or two in transition every now and then.

If you are attempting to make the argument that Frank's poor performance was based upon the other players, you've got the argument largely backwards.

You think Frank’s limitations were the only reason this offense wasn’t putting up 75-80 a game?

Hughes would have moved more than 2 feet each possession? Battle would do something other than hang out near halfcourt?

Oshae did post up twice per game in between missing 3-pointers, so I guess I'll give him a pass.

Everybody sucked and it's everybody's fault.

Nonsense. This team had several guys who could shoot. They several players who could [and did] net double figures. They had athletes who could have thrived in transition.

Not suggesting that this collection of players was the well oiled machine that the 2010 was, but the raw materials should have led to better results. But, there was one important missing ingredient - a point guard to make everyone else better, and turn it from a group of separate, iso players into a cohesively performing, functioning offense. And -- I don't know -- maybe one that could offset their half court struggles by getting a an easy bucket or two in transition every now and then.
Several?

Tyus, Frank, Buddy and Elijah can shoot.

Oshae had a rough year again with his jumpshot. Marek still tends to pass up open looks and Buddy often didnt play in the same line as Frank.

I agree, transition would’ve helped. Frank’s slow and limited the possibility of transition. I wish we had a quicker point guard as well.

The only point i’ll defend Frank on is we did not have an offense, or pieces, that’d help rack up assists. No ones cutting, no ones rolling. We passed the ball a couple times, pounded the rock around and often just looked for the bail out 3. Thank god for Buddy and Elijah this year.

I am so excited for next year. Clean start.

I was so tired of all the BS that came with Frank Howard. Even 'good' Frank wasn't very good. Also his lack of leadership ability will not be missed. Who cannot refrain from smoking weed right before the Tournament as a Senior!

I loved Tyus. He was great for our brand, our community, on and off the court. He exemplifies what a true student athlete should be today. However, his lack of consistent shooting ability and his 1-on-1 hero ball got old after a while. He also was very inconsistent on offense.

GUARD ROTATION:

PG - Jalen / HW
SG - JGIII / Buddy / Goodine

I think Jalen will be ready to be our starting PG next year on a short leash. If he doesnt perform, JGIII will be our starting PG by ACC conference time. If Carey plays well, JGIII moves into the starting 2 spot ahead of Buddy. JGIII looks to be quicker with a better handle to drive the ball. Buddy is slow and awkward when he drives. Looks robotic. Goodine will be a pleasant surprise. Goodine and Jalen in the backcourt will be a very quick and athletic duo. HW transfers. He doesnt have the talent to play in the ACC.

FORWARD ROTATION:

SF - Hughes / Guerrier
PF - Brissy / Doley / Braswell

This will be a 4 man rotation with Hughes and Brissy being the two team leaders next year so they will see the most minutes with Doley coming in for a change of pace and extended minutes at times at the 5 spot. Guerrier will play when Brissy is struggling or when our guards are struggling Hughes could move to the 2 spot and play Brissy and Guerrier at the 3 and 4. Braswell would be smart to redshirt next year.

CENTER ROTATION:

Who the hell knows?!

Actually Ennis's year was the most confusing year of all. Offense became too easy to defend there, no, unless there was some change of officiating? That year was much harder for me to understand than this year.

Last edited:
Frank was never quite the same after the injury. Such a shame for everyone.

FYI...we lost 14 games last year, same deal this year. Many very similar parallels last year to this year in our losses...except without the excuses that injury at the PG spot was the root cause.

Hughes would have moved more than 2 feet each possession? Battle would do something other than hang out near halfcourt?

Oshae did post up twice per game in between missing 3-pointers, so I guess I'll give him a pass.

Everybody sucked and it's everybody's fault.

Yes. Put Scoop -- who was a fairly "average" point guard relative to some of the great players we've had -- on last year's team, and the offensive output would have been substantially better. Because he could actually do point guard things that Frank couldn't do.

Kid was injured. Tough break, not piling on. But the data above speaks for itself. The total didn't add up to the sum of the individual parts, because the team lacked a point guard.

Several?

Tyus, Frank, Buddy and Elijah can shoot.

Having 3 or more players who can shoot = several.

A true point guard flanked by Hughes / Buddy -- who were good three point shooters -- and a guy like Battle who could also make shots, would have "several" shooters around him in a lineup of 5 players. Isn't that the ideal lineup -- a point guard, a post threat, and three shooters?

The only point i’ll defend Frank on is we did not have an offense, or pieces, that’d help rack up assists. No ones cutting, no ones rolling. We passed the ball a couple times, pounded the rock around and often just looked for the bail out 3. Thank god for Buddy and Elijah this year.

This is a chicken v. egg argument, IMO. The offense has turned into this because we've lacked a point guard to run our half-court offensive sets. Hence, the iso. Iso would be unnecessary if we had a guy who could initiate the offense, penetrate every once in awhile, set guys up off of the bounce, or push the ball to get us in position to score before the defense gets set.

I am so excited for next year. Clean start.

I was so tired of all the BS that came with Frank Howard. Even 'good' Frank wasn't very good. Also his lack of leadership ability will not be missed. Who cannot refrain from smoking weed right before the Tournament as a Senior!

I loved Tyus. He was great for our brand, our community, on and off the court. He exemplifies what a true student athlete should be today. However, his lack of consistent shooting ability and his 1-on-1 hero ball got old after a while. He also was very inconsistent on offense.

GUARD ROTATION:

PG - Jalen / HW
SG - JGIII / Buddy / Goodine

I think Jalen will be ready to be our starting PG next year on a short leash. If he doesnt perform, JGIII will be our starting PG by ACC conference time. If Carey plays well, JGIII moves into the starting 2 spot ahead of Buddy. JGIII looks to be quicker with a better handle to drive the ball. Buddy is slow and awkward when he drives. Looks robotic. Goodine will be a pleasant surprise. Goodine and Jalen in the backcourt will be a very quick and athletic duo. HW transfers. He doesnt have the talent to play in the ACC.

FORWARD ROTATION:

SF - Hughes / Guerrier
PF - Brissy / Doley / Braswell

This will be a 4 man rotation with Hughes and Brissy being the two team leaders next year so they will see the most minutes with Doley coming in for a change of pace and extended minutes at times at the 5 spot. Guerrier will play when Brissy is struggling or when our guards are struggling Hughes could move to the 2 spot and play Brissy and Guerrier at the 3 and 4. Braswell would be smart to redshirt next year.

CENTER ROTATION:

Who the hell knows?!
Disagree with you on lack of leadership. I think we'll miss his unless someone else steps up.

Having 3 or more players who can shoot = several.

A true point guard flanked by Hughes / Buddy -- who were good three point shooters -- and a guy like Battle who could also make shots, would have "several" shooters around him in a lineup of 5 players. Isn't that the ideal lineup -- a point guard, a post threat, and three shooters?

This is a chicken v. egg argument, IMO. The offense has turned into this because we've lacked a point guard to run our half-court offensive sets. Hence, the iso. Iso would be unnecessary if we had a guy who could initiate the offense, penetrate every once in awhile, set guys up off of the bounce, or push the ball to get us in position to score before the defense gets set.
When you have no post threat, and one other 3 point shooter hitting about 35% you’re going to have rough assist numbers imo.

Again, Buddy and Frank rarely played at the same time.

Battle could hit threes but I think we’re forgetting most of the shots he made were off ISO create your own space shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom