Et tu, Brute? | Syracusefan.com

Et tu, Brute?

longislandcuse

Living Legend
What did everyone think of John Thompsons use of that phrase? A phrase used to depict betrayal by a close friend.

"You too, Brutus?"

John Thompson is about as relevant to my life as Millard Filmore.

Alec Baldwin could totally play Millard Fillmore when they make the Millard Fillmore biopic. Which they won't.
upload_2014-3-17_11-58-33.jpeg

It was John's AD, along with St Johns, and Villanova protecting their turf, by keeping Penn St out that killed the Big East. Had they formed a football conference alongside the basketball conference at that time, they could have had the best of both worlds. Gavitt knew it was a mistake, that's why he tried to get Penn St in. You could have had Penn St, Miami, Florida St, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers, Temple. In basketball you could have had Georgetown, Villanova, Connecticut, Providence, Seton Hall, St Johns, LaSalle, Massachusetts, St Josephs, George Washington, Duquesne, St Bonaventure. That would have been good football, and basketball could have had cross scheduling between the 2 groups for basketball, and made a lot of money.

It was John's AD, along with St Johns, and Villanova protecting their turf, by keeping Penn St out that killed the Big East. Had they formed a football conference alongside the basketball conference at that time, they could have had the best of both worlds. Gavitt knew it was a mistake, that's why he tried to get Penn St in. You could have had Penn St, Miami, Florida St, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers, Temple. In basketball you could have had Georgetown, Villanova, Connecticut, Providence, Seton Hall, St Johns, LaSalle, Massachusetts, St Josephs, George Washington, Duquesne, St Bonaventure. That would have been good football, and basketball could have had cross scheduling between the 2 groups for basketball, and made a lot of money.
And Maryland. Paterno had a commitment from Maryland to join also. They felt like outsiders on Tobacco Road... and wanted to be part of the new conference.

I did a double-take when he made that comment. "Whaaaaaat?"

Then I realized it was JT and moved on.

Not to hijack the thread, but the crap Patrick Ewing went through... Wow, was that ever an embarassment to whatever communities were bringing those signs and symbols into their stadiums. I hope that Syracuse was not in the deep end on that one.

And Maryland. Paterno had a commitment from Maryland to join also. They felt like outsiders on Tobacco Road... and wanted to be part of the new conference.
Wouldn't that have been some conference? We could have had the best of both worlds, could have ruled the NCAA in Basketball, and Football, and that would have been a conference, that Notre Dame might have wanted to join as a full member.

Since we're talking about big time hypocrites, how about Pitino? Feigned disgust about teams leaving the conference for the almighty dollar. Um...Providence...Kentucky... why did YOU leave? Those two deserve each other. On a positive note, it makes me happy that JT thinks we administered the fatal stabs. It feels so good.

Interesting to think about_If PSU gets the vote and is added to the BE (along with Maryland according to what CTO posted above), does the Conference stay together or was the breakup inevitable anyway?

Since we're talking about big time hypocrites, how about Pitino? Feigned disgust about teams leaving the conference for the almighty dollar. Um...Providence...Kentucky... why did YOU leave? Those two deserve each other. On a positive note, it makes me happy that JT thinks we administered the fatal stabs. It feels so good.
By the way, Gavitt left the Big East to go to the Celtics. I love it when Mike Wilbon balks at everyone taking the big money grab. You stay at the same job Mike?

By the way, Gavitt left the Big East to go to the Celtics. I love it when Mike Wilbon balks at everyone taking the big money grab. You stay at the same job Mike?
documentaries are so disappointing. you watch to see and hear great old footage but they can't resist dumbass narratives that would look stupid printed on paper but sound ok with the right music behind it.

Speaking about Pitino, he was publicly bad mouthing us for leaving for the ACC while his AD was working out a deal for Louisville to join as well.

I did a double-take when he made that comment. "Whaaaaaat?"

Then I realized it was JT and moved on.

Not to hijack the thread, but the crap Patrick Ewing went through... Wow, was that ever an embarassment to whatever communities were bringing those signs and symbols into their stadiums. I hope that Syracuse was not in the deep end on that one.

Maybe I am mistaken but did I see a guy in a rubber ape face type thing? That really surprised me.

What did everyone think of John Thompsons use of that phrase? A phrase used to depict betrayal by a close friend.

"You too, Brutus?"
You may have misheard.
I believe he was recruiting a guy named Aytu Brutay from Senegal during the period when he was claiming that he was trying to help African-AMERICAN players.

Quite literally the biggest hypocrite in college basketball.

"You too, Brutus?"

That quote, and the one expressing similar sentiment from Carnesseca, demonstrated how both of them are fundamentally out of touch with what was going on in conference expansion, the dollars at stake, and the negative financial situation house the Big East had built for itself.

Boeheim was right: you pine for the Big East, but this wasn't the same Big East. It wasn't the same after 1992, and it sure wasn't the same after all of the crazy changes in 2003 / 2004. Nostalgia is great, but Thompson whining about how all of the team's had to make sacrifices originally misses the point: this wasn't 1980 anymore, this was 30 years later, in a patchwork conference that bore little resemblance to the one that had gotten founded thirty years earlier.

And Thompson need look no further than his own AD to see how short term self interest wreaked havoc on the conference, long term.

Last edited:

"You too, Brutus?"
Typical Thompson. Always the victim, no matter what the facts are. No surprise he misapplied the quote. It's 2:35 and John Thompson is still a jackass.

Last edited:
The Big East is closed big guy.

Typical Thompson. Always the victim, no matter what the facts are. No surprise he misapplied the quote. It's 2:35 and John Thompson is still a jackass.
I wish I could like this post 1000x. I said the same exact thing to someone last night.

I'm sure a third party could interpret the documentary as "Syracuse joined a basketball only conference and then made that conference bend over backwards to accomodate its football program, which it did, then they bailed and nuked the whole thing anyway."

This is of course very primitive. I do question why they went into the sneaker deals and the coach's shoe deals and stuff, like 100% of all other schools, even low major schools, don't have shoe deals. That was a completely irrelevant aside to drive the greed narrative. It also didn't discuss ND's role in the collapse.

My take away is that I am shocked that even with 20/20 hindsight, the Georgetown AD could look so incredibly small minded. Talk about the very opposite of the Gavitt visionary type!! You can almost picture the scene on the death star: GTown AD in a hooded cloak sitting in the chair, JT2 towering over him, and Gavitt saying "Your lack of vision will be your undoing!"

I'm sure a third party could interpret the documentary as "Syracuse joined a basketball only conference and then made that conference bend over backwards to accomodate its football program, which it did, then they bailed and nuked the whole thing anyway."

This is of course very primitive. I do question why they went into the sneaker deals and the coach's shoe deals and stuff, like 100% of all other schools, even low major schools, don't have shoe deals. That was a completely irrelevant aside to drive the greed narrative. It also didn't discuss ND's role in the collapse.

My take away is that I am shocked that even with 20/20 hindsight, the Georgetown AD could look so incredibly small minded. Talk about the very opposite of the Gavitt visionary type!! You can almost picture the scene on the death star: GTown AD in a hooded cloak sitting in the chair, JT2 towering over him, and Gavitt saying "Your lack of vision will be your undoing!"
good point

I thought they went for a Mafia narrative of the rise, greed, and then fall of a powerful family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom