Etan thinks Zion should quit playing for Duke | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Etan thinks Zion should quit playing for Duke

All this discussion does is highlight the point that big time "college" sports have little to do with a college education.
Major colleges now are mostly showcases/developmental programs for players and farm teams for the pros. They're potential big moneymakers for the "schools."

It seems there are few real "college athletes" - think Rakeem Christmas.
I laugh thinking that players once lived in dorms at Syracuse (they still do at Duke).

Colleges should drop the pretext.
Don't even require classwork.
Just recruit players to wear their uniforms.
And give them a choice: full scholarship, room & board and stipend or the equivalent in salary.

Your blanket statement is not fair, especially as it applies to SU players.

For Example, Tyus Battle is a very good student, as have been many other SU players. And don't forget, Craig Forth was a four-time Academic All-American. Many former players have had very successful careers in education, business, the non-profit sector and other fields

So Etan you are saying that daily coaching from K is pretty worthless?

For Example, Tyus Battle is a very good student, as have been many other SU players. And don't forget, Craig Forth was a four-time Academic All-American. Many former players have had very successful careers in education, business, the non-profit sector and other fields
It always amazes me how people take the extreme minority like the 15 freshman that get drafted every year and want to completely change a system that involves 1000’s of people.

Zions going to have Tyoe 2 Diabetes by the time he’s forty.

It always amazes me how people take the extreme minority like the 15 freshman that get drafted every year and want to completely change a system that involves 1000’s of people.

Boeheim’s right in that sense. It’s only a few players here/there like you say.

Yeah, it must be tough having to wait until ur 20 years old to make 200 mil - all because it good at a game - the struggles this kid has endured
I don’t see how age or struggle has anything to do with it. I don't work for free and I don’t wait a year to get paid. And what we call a game has made many lucrative careers. It’s is a big business with the primary attraction being unpaid labor.

just off the top of my head with business:

Dave Bing
George Hicker
Sonny Spera
DC - to an extent

Thats just bball, i know a few in football and lacrosse too

So it’s not really a stretch to say that if you have a problem with a former (by all accounts) SU athlete who is also an exemplary person critiquing the power structure in sports that contributes to the ongoing oppression of black people in this country, you likely voted for 45

I have no problem with anyone questioning just about anything in a respectful way. agreeable or disagreeable. As much as i disagree with Etan on certain aspects, i respect him for everything he stands up for.

But, I definitely dont get how the power structure in sports actually contributes to the ongoing opression of black people... that's a stretch, in my very humble opinion...

there are going to be the same amount of pros whether there is a draft age limit or not. so i dont get how it changes the variables all that much as a whole. Sure Lenny Cooke would have been a lottery pick, maybe Paul Harris is drafted - but for the most part those guys are replaced by other black athletes in basketball or football percentage wise.

That being said - Tyus battle should be able to help sell some cars for Fuccillo and Oshae would make a helluva pitch man for Tops and Frank and Jalen would be great guys representing Cafe Kubal and hell Buddy should join Jim on commercials for Metro Mattress.

i didnt vote for 45 - but i dont think anyone should be defined like that in a derogatory manner, especially on a forum, for voting for 45 either. and you know i like you a lot Hak so its all love, i just disagree with you on this.

I have no problem with anyone questioning just about anything in a respectful way. agreeable or disagreeable. As much as i disagree with Etan on certain aspects, i respect him for everything he stands up for.

But, I definitely dont get how the power structure in sports actually contributes to the ongoing opression of black people... that's a stretch, in my very humble opinion...

there are going to be the same amount of pros whether there is a draft age limit or not. so i dont get how it changes the variables all that much as a whole. Sure Lenny Cooke would have been a lottery pick, maybe Paul Harris is drafted - but for the most part those guys are replaced by other black athletes in basketball or football percentage wise.

That being said - Tyus battle should be able to help sell some cars for Fuccillo and Oshae would make a helluva pitch man for Tops and Frank and Jalen would be great guys representing Cafe Kubal and hell Buddy should join Jim on commercials for Metro Mattress.

i didnt vote for 45 - but i dont think anyone should be defined like that in a derogatory manner, especially on a forum, for voting for 45 either. and you know i like you a lot Hak so its all love, i just disagree with you on this.

This is going to be over a lot of peoples’ heads. ;)

Mic drop...

This is going to be over a lot of peoples’ heads. ;)

Ha. I have to be honest. This may have even been over my head but also proved my point more.

Lenny Cooke and Paul Harris didn’t even have a draft limit!! Yet those were the 1st and really only 2 that immediately came to mind! It honestly never crossed my mind that they didn’t have an age limit. I just assumed they did.

Ha. I have to be honest. This may have even been over my head but also proved my point more.

Lenny Cooke and Paul Harris didn’t even have a draft limit!! Yet those were the 1st and really only 2 that immediately came to mind! It honestly never crossed my mind that they didn’t have an age limit. I just assumed they did.
Il

I like your Josh Smith comparison earlier. Sort of a junkyard dog who does a lot of things well but with that slow release as you mentioned. The thing is also though that this dude can really pass and handle at his size and he’s fast. That can overcome some other deficiencies, IMO.

Buy some insurance and live life - living life scared is how you end up a loser. :) Do what you love - play ball. You could get hurt working out. Blah.

What could go wrong?

tracks.jpg

I don’t see how age or struggle has anything to do with it. I don't work for free and I don’t wait a year to get paid. And what we call a game has made many lucrative careers. It’s is a big business with the primary attraction being unpaid labor.

The Little League World Series is big business - I'll never get why those kids don't get paid either.

Barriers to entry are prevalent in lots of career fields....think of it as a really awesome internship for Zion. He doesn't have to go that route, he could get a job, he could go play ball for $$$ anywhere else, but he elected to take the internship.

The Little League World Series is big business - I'll never get why those kids don't get paid either.

Barriers to entry are prevalent in lots of career fields...think of it as a really awesome internship for Zion. He doesn't have to go that route, he could get a job, he could go play ball for $$$ anywhere else, but he elected to take the internship.
I see your point, but currently he can't play anywhere as the NBA makes people wait a year. Yes, he could go to Europe, but with his skills, he shouldn't have to choose between going to another country or an internship.

I see your point, but currently he can't play anywhere as the NBA makes people wait a year. Yes, he could go to Europe, but with his skills, he shouldn't have to choose between going to another country or an internship.

In my mind there is no issue with the NBA or NFL preventing kids from playing. People always equate it to golf, or tennis, but those are individual sports and the parents still sort of dictate their lives and the downside isn't all that severe. This isn't that.

MLB and NHL have REALLY robust minor league systems that provide a nice safety net. The NBA and NHL don't want kids straight from HS in their business - and they have no safety net if they fail. Sending them to college for year, or a trip to Europe isn't that big of a punishment. If you're afraid of Europe, maybe that's a sign that you're not quite mature enough to play in the NBA? They have plenty of fantastic options. Go prep for another year, go to the D-League. It's all waiting for you.

Again, lots of careers have barriers to entry. It's not that big of a deal in my mind. But, it's a fun argument. :) As there are always excpetions to every rule, and there will always be kids ready to play in the NBA at 18, or 16....

Unless he is having fun. Some people actually play sports because they're fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom