Etan thinks Zion should quit playing for Duke | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Etan thinks Zion should quit playing for Duke

Rip Hamilton perhaps? UConn and Pistons. May have made over $100 mil

You’re right. So it’s got to be widened. The other guy in that question is Antoine Walker. But Rip also made over $100M so the net needs to be widened.

My guess without looking if he got to 100 million earning is Richard Jefferson.
Didn’t he win a title at Arizona and I know he got one with the Cavs. Nets gave a max contract so he has to be close.

RJ didn’t win a title with that Arizona squad. They lost in the title game.

There are approximately 4,500 athlete's that participate in Men's Division I college basketball each year. 347 programs x 13 scholarships each, which wouldn't include everyone's walk ons.

60 draft slots each year. I think 50 last year were college players.

We should definitely make rules and change college basketball indelibly to make sure all 50 of those players that are getting drafted get taken care of.

Last edited:
Disagree. Etan is a soft-spoken, celebral person who is the opposite of someone who talks just to hear themselves talk. So many athletes just spew nonsense and petty things, whereas he always discusses meaningful topics.

Agree. I don't always agree with them but I think he is very thoughtful with his opinions and doesn't just hot take things.

The Syracuse homers and orange-goggled brigade aren’t going to like this but:

I don’t necessarily disagree with Etan. I want to savor this kid in college, though. It’s a joy watching this dude ball. His intangibles aside from the regaular skills he brings is something maybe only LBJ and he have brought to the game in quite some time. I mean people don’t realize he has 20 blocks and the whole SU team has 37. He’s averaging big time numbers on an already loaded team. Even Kevin Durant recently said he’s a “once a generation athlete.”

I mean it is a Syracuse board and not a Duke board.

Also I knew this thread would cause people to lose their split.

Last edited:
I knew this thread w

I mean it is a Syracuse board and not a Duke board.

Also I knew this thread would cause people to lose their split.

Have you actually watched him ball?

Have you actually watched him ball?

Yeah I have. I watch a lot of hoops. Every night besides last night because i watched football.

I'm fine with whatever he does, but I could give 2 splits about Duke and there's 5 threads about them every week.

Yeah I have. I watch a lot of hoops. Every night besides last night because i watched football.

I'm fine with whatever he does, but I could give 2 splits about Duke and there's 5 threads about them every week.

I mean that’s fine but his game is worth talking about on occasion. He’s a special player. Shouldn’t be an ‘off limits’ thing.

The Syracuse homers and orange-goggled brigade aren’t going to like this but:

I don’t necessarily disagree with Etan. I want to savor this kid in college, though. It’s a joy watching this dude ball. His intangibles aside from the regaular skills he brings is something maybe only LBJ and he have brought to the game in quite some time. I mean people don’t realize he has 20 blocks and the whole SU team has 37. He’s averaging big time numbers on an already loaded team. Even Kevin Durant recently said he’s a “once a generation athlete.”

As an orange goggled Syracuse homer, I was hoping he would be a bust, and I am genetically designed to hate when a player at Duke succeeds, but I must say Zion is harder to hate than I was expecting. He celebrates after big baskets but does not act overly cocky or get in the face of players on the other team. He also is surprisingly unselfish, has a solid passing game, not completely treating this year like his own NBA draft tape. After they lost to Gonzaga because RJ Barrett tried to drive into two guys and went nowhere instead of passing to him in the paint, which would have meant guaranteed points, he just helped him up and didn't berate him in any way, which Barrett probably would have deserved. I mean I still hope he gets punched in the face by one of Chewys uncoordinated arms while going for a layup when he comes to the dome, but he is not the worst person. People's hatred for him comes from the ridiculous amount of media attention he gets and not his own attitude.

I mean that’s fine but his game is worth talking about on occasion. He’s a special player. Shouldn’t be an ‘off limits’ thing.

I never said it was.

As an orange goggled Syracuse homer, I was hoping he would be a bust, and I am genetically designed to hate when a player at Duke succeeds, but I must say Zion is harder to hate than I was expecting. He celebrates after big baskets but does not act overly cocky or get in the face of players on the other team. He also is surprisingly unselfish, has a solid passing game, not completely treating this year like his own NBA draft tape. After they lost to Gonzaga because RJ Barrett tried to drive into two guys and went nowhere instead of passing to him in the paint, which would have meant guaranteed points, he just helped him up and didn't berate him in any way, which Barrett probably would have deserved. I mean I still hope he gets punched in the face by one of Chewys uncoordinated arms while going for a layup when he comes to the dome, but he is not the worst person. People's hatred for him comes from the ridiculous amount of media attention he gets and not his own attitude.

I think it’s more jealousy re: the hatred. It’s unreal. If Syracuse was fun to watch on offense with lobs/dunks galore, high skill, and on ESPN constantly as the talk of college bball, do you think us fans would be wanting ESPN to tone it down?! Lol. No. These dudes for the most part, him especially, play the game the right away and have so much talent.

I hate Duke as much as anybody. I was sure hoping he was a bust as well. But, I love college basketball and basketball in general. He’s a good watch and I’ll sure enjoy him unless he plays Syracuse.

there is a lot wrong with this.

zion wasnt forecasted to make $1bil 5 weeks ago. he was the #2 or #3 guy in his class. people have really short memories. no one predicted zion to have this start. no one.

so that clearly means zion has very very very strongly benefited from Duke in just 10 games. right? thats not a debate? so what are we saying? use duke until you reach the pinnacle of your potential and then retire from NCAA?

here is what would have happened had he gone to g league or taken a year off or hell was able to go straight to NBA. He almost certainly would not have been the #1 pick (this year or even next year had he not gone to duke - you cant use today's data with the benefits of duke to improve his stock - or potential earnings - from where he was or where he would have been in other scenarios, which i think we can all agree on wouldnt be as high had he not gone to duke), his shoe deal would be FAR more restricting and smaller in value because he had much less leverage in any of those scenarios.

on a side note, $1 bil was just a boeheim esque number thrown out there that had exactly 0 factual evidence behind it other than an off the cuff opinion.

also on a side note - he is a horrific outside shooter right now. not average, not bad - he is horrific. Lebron was probably an average shooter at this stage. Zions jumper takes like 20 seconds to get off and it looks like he is throwing an actual brick. he is an insane athlete - but so was josh smith. their jumpers actually look somewhat similar (zion is a better finisher and mid range than smoove ever had. dont get me wrong. zion is a legit talent)

the answer is not to just quit on a team, especially after that team helped you grow your brand to immeasurable numbers. all of that being said - let the kid make a few bucks.

there is a lot wrong with this.

zion wasnt forecasted to make $1bil 5 weeks ago. he was the #2 or #3 guy in his class. people have really short memories. no one predicted zion to have this start. no one.

so that clearly means zion has very very very strongly benefited from Duke in just 10 games. right? thats not a debate? so what are we saying? use duke until you reach the pinnacle of your potential and then retire from NCAA?

here is what would have happened had he gone to g league or taken a year off or hell was able to go straight to NBA. He almost certainly would not have been the #1 pick (this year or even next year had he not gone to duke - you cant use today's data with the benefits of duke to improve his stock - or potential earnings - from where he was or where he would have been in other scenarios, which i think we can all agree on wouldnt be as high had he not gone to duke), his shoe deal would be FAR more restricting and smaller in value because he had much less leverage in any of those scenarios.

on a side note, $1 bil was just a boeheim esque number thrown out there that had exactly 0 factual evidence behind it other than an off the cuff opinion.

also on a side note - he is a horrific outside shooter right now. not average, not bad - he is horrific. Lebron was probably an average shooter at this stage. Zions jumper takes like 20 seconds to get off and it looks like he is throwing an actual brick. he is an insane athlete - but so was josh smith. their jumpers actually look somewhat similar (zion is a better finisher and mid range than smoove ever had. dont get me wrong. zion is a legit talent)

the answer is not to just quit on a team, especially after that team helped you grow your brand to immeasurable numbers. all of that being said - let the kid make a few bucks.

The only thing I disagree with here is that I would've used 'strenuously.' ;):)

Zion is not making any money for anyone. If he was not walking the planet earth Duke would still be talked about and they would still be having people watch their games. I don't know a single person who has said to me, I don't ever watch college ball but I am now because of Zion. The people watching are either alumni of the school or fans of college basketball. I watch the tournament every year like many people do and that would continue to happen without the top 5 kids in every class. Also I wouldn't take Zion first, I would take RJ. Zion is shooting less than 20% from 3 and is 6'7" and weights 270 pounds. Not exactly the best fit for the current NBA. Also he isn't a good defender. He just blocks like 2 shots a game really hard that makes a highlight. His lateral movement on defense is not good. If he improves his defense maybe he can become Draymond Green but that is his ceiling and I would be shocked if he reaches it.

There are times when someone is 'right,' and still i wish they would shut the hell up.
Etan is there a lot.

RJ didn’t win a title with that Arizona squad. They lost in the title game.

such a fantastic starting 5. nba talent and size, experience, excitement.

jason gardern
gilbert arenas
michael wright
richard jefferson
Loren Woods (a victim of timing - he would have been a good pro in the 90's)

Zion is not making any money for anyone. If he was not walking the planet earth Duke would still be talked about and they would still be having people watch their games. I don't know a single person who has said to me, I don't ever watch college ball but I am now because of Zion. The people watching are either alumni of the school or fans of college basketball. I watch the tournament every year like many people do and that would continue to happen without the top 5 kids in every class.

Spot on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom