Evening Huddle with Dino | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Evening Huddle with Dino

I'd be really interested to know who the players drafted in what order. Does anyone have info on it? I'm guessing Dino probably told them to keep that in house though.

I’m pretty sure he was saying “every Freshman you START is an L”.

Which is a coach-speak way of saying you want mature, experienced guys as your starters - which only makes sense.

Yes - there are true Frosh contributing at Football Factories, but they are the best of the best 5* kinda guys.

And yes - non-Factory schools also have a FEW Frosh who contribute.
But - when you have more than a FEW, it means you missed on an upperclassman either in terms of their ability, or injuries.
And you’re going to lose more and more games if you have too many Frosh getting that much run.

It would have been a much better sound byte the way you wrote it, than the way he said it.

Yet they played really strong until the 4th quarter in most games. Gassed by the 4th but even a very experienced D would be after 40 plus minutes each game on the field.
It wasn't as bad as it could have been for sure. But they still went 1-10, and inexperience was a part of that. I was more calling out that rules have exceptions, but that doesn't make the general rule moot.

I’m pretty sure he was saying “every Freshman you START is an L”.

Not to go all Penn State, but can we redefine to be every first year player you start is an L?

Because of Covid, we have about 60 players with 4 years of eligibility left who are being called freshmen. Just spitballing, but I'd guess about 15 of them could start. I don't think I can deal with a 15 loss season.

Honestly, I don't even understand what that "freshmen = L" comment even means. I've never heard that as a football saying, and after watching this sport for my entire life, I think I've heard all of 'em.

It's not important anyway. Dino choose to have the level of experience that he currently has in the program. It's year 6. We'll sink or swim with the youngens.

I'd be really interested to know who the players drafted in what order. Does anyone have info on it? I'm guessing Dino probably told them to keep that in house though.

The fact that no player has mentioned it in any social and lid was kept means it's super on the low.

the only comment by dino i am interested in the one he makes at halftime of the first game i prefer he says nothing until then.

We didn't start 6 Andre Ciscos on defense last year.

No we didn't. I was just using him as an example that freshman can start. While I agree we don't want a host of freshmen out there, but it's now always an "L."

Honestly, I don't even understand what that "freshmen = L" comment even means. I've never heard that as a football saying, and after watching this sport for my entire life, I think I've heard all of 'em.

It's not important anyway. Dino choose to have the level of experience that he currently has in the program. It's year 6. We'll sink or swim with the youngens.
Scooch I think what it means is in a normal year, your team should be mature enough to have a bunch of Sophs and older starters. So if you have 5 Freshman starters you would equate that to 5 losses...due to the young guys making rookie mistakes and the team's older guys that aren't good enough to keep the Freshmen from starting.

the only comment by dino i am interested in the one he makes at halftime of the first game i prefer he says nothing until then.
I get it. But like we had 30 second long Instagram stories to base camp on. I’ll take any news, even coach speak.

No chance in **** that gets leaked. If someone did leak it, and I was coach, they'd be running till their legs fell off at practice.

Sounds like a reality check for some guys that think they're "too big for their britches" and hopefully puts a chip on their shoulders. Had a saying way back "that dude is a king in his own mind" for guys that just oozed confidence for no logical reason at all. We all know the type.

Don’t want to hear about “every freshman is an L”, Dino’s been here several years and has had time to recruit and form depth with quality players. We should not perpetually be the youngest team. That’s my only issue. Loved the rest if the recap.

I take it as every freshman starter we have lining up against an opposing upper classman STARTS as an L. Doesn't mean it'll end that way but on the surface it's valid.

Through injuries, suspension and opt outs last year we started freshman at QB, RB, CB, S, LB and OG at various points. Many of them proved themselves good players and quite capable but I'd much rather a Soph or Junior Ja'Had Carter on the field vs a Freshman version regardless how great he was. Also would rather him lining up against an opposing Freshman vs an opposing upperclassmen because I would consider that a W right out of the box.

Cole, Carter, Williams, Morgan, Nunn, Hanna, Thompson, Labrosse, Pena, Wax, Tucker, Ilaoa, and Jackson. These gentleman all started fair amount of plays last season and all of them showed they deserve to, at the very least, be part of a P5 roster. That said we and they will all be much better off this year and beyond especially if lined up against opposing Freshman. For as highly as I/we rate the frosh DBs we'd all have preferred to not see them and have a healthy Cisco and Trill on the field instead.

Scooch I think what it means is in a normal year, your team should be mature enough to have a bunch of Sophs and older starters. So if you have 5 Freshman starters you would equate that to 5 losses...due to the young guys making rookie mistakes and the team's older guys that aren't good enough to keep the Freshmen from starting.
Got it. It was just an off-handed comment, and Dino is great in those settings, so I'm not going to parse it to death.

I will say that I'm already starting to reflexively push back against the "we're young" excuse for losing. I throw out last year because of COVID and the overall weirdness of the season, but the roster is young because Dino let it get that way.

So, it may be a legitimate rationale, but it's also one of his own making, if that makes sense?

Not sure the roster is that young. I think it’s deceptive on how they classify because of covid.
D line all seniors. Back ups upperclassman. LB. 2 juniors catin and Jones. Thompson really a sophomore. DB Cooley is a senior, Williams 3rd year in the program. All the others are technically soph based on how they played.
OLine senior, 4 juniors because at least 3 years college. Qb senior or redshirt soph. Wr 2 juniors and redshirt soph. Rb soph, and two third year players. TE 3rd year player.
Even though it might list them as freshman or sophomores they have a last one or more years of playing in the program.

Not sure the roster is that young. I think it’s deceptive on how they classify because of covid.
D line all seniors. Back ups upperclassman. LB. 2 juniors catin and Jones. Thompson really a sophomore. DB Cooley is a senior, Williams 3rd year in the program. All the others are technically soph based on how they played.
OLine senior, 4 juniors because at least 3 years college. Qb senior or redshirt soph. Wr 2 juniors and redshirt soph. Rb soph, and two third year players. TE 3rd year player.
Even though it might list them as freshman or sophomores they have a last one or more years of playing in the program.

Just posted this in Go's original roster breakdown thread. You're right, we're not as young as the roster suggests...

Since I've already made a couple posts pre-emptively pushing back against "young team" rationalizations for losing, I figured I should check myself before I wreck myself (note: that's a 90s hip hop reference, people under 30 can look it up).

I can't do the same kind of positional breakdown that Go started this thread with -- he's the king of that analysis -- but at a more topline level, here's how the roster looks by the number of years in the program.

I figured it'd be interesting to categorize it by the year each player is going into this season. So, for example, redshirt senior McKinley Williams will be in his 6th year starting this summer camp, due to his pre-2020 redshirt season and his bonus year of eligibility due to COVID...

6th year: 4
5th year: 12
4th year: 13
3rd year: 23
1st year or 2nd year: 33

This paints the experience level of the team in a somewhat different light. More than one-third of the roster (34%) is going into their 4th, 5th or 6th year in the program. Another 27% is going into the 3rd year.

That means 61% of the roster has at least 2+ full seasons of practice under their belt, which makes them at least nominally upperclassmen, in a traditional sense.

I didn't have the energy to break down the difference between true frosh entering school, and classified frosh due to COVID (e.g. the Dillon Markiewicz's of the program). But combined they make up 39% of the roster, which is probably a bit too much, but not as jarringly young as it may seem.

Soooo, I think we have more experience than the roster designations let on, but likely not quite as much as we'd prefer.

We should have enough experienced players to compete this year.

I've said I hope only one true freshman plays this year (Duce, who is probably both ready and needed).

The rest should redshirt, which will really help down the road.

Plus that means we'll only have 1 loss this year.

Its also because there was no spring, last year. Early Enrollees had no real spring instruction. What they learn there carries on through summer, player lead practices. Not many of those, last year either, due to covid restrictions. And then we missed some August practices. Any early enrollee missed out on months and months and months of getting better. Its not a knock on the freshmen. They simply had less practice to know what was going on.
Yes. And I will add ...no Spring ball, a shortened fall camp, and 2 new coordinators. Add in an injured offensive line and it was a disaster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom