Evening Huddle with Dino | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Evening Huddle with Dino

I don't think its likely these days for any program to have a freshmen starter and have him play through 4 or 5 years. Those players are typically talented and are usually going to be gone after putting out 3 years of tape at the college level. But that shouldn't matter. A program should have someone ready to step into each position when you essentially recruit one player for every position every year and most positions have 2 or more players in each class that can fill a spot. Fore example at DE, WR, CB, Safety etc you should have multiple guys in each class that could fit the bill. If you don't have someone that is not a freshman, that is talented enough to step in then you are likely missing on quite a few kids. The exception being when we recruit someone who is just heads and shoulders above the others talent wise and they are ready as freshman. But there is something to be said for being able to tell recruits if you come in as a freshman talented enough and ready to play you could see the field freshman year as a starter. That could be a good selling point to getting higher end talent. So you can have a couple here or there that make sense but the majority of your starters should be upper classmen or else your not likely to have a solid record.
I agree with all you said. I was just talking about the freshman's continuing to develop to a point where they can achieve all conference honors as juniors. Normally that is their 3rd year in the program. They cant get drafted until then. The program hasn't developed players well. That's my point. Thats going o give us sustain success. Winning will help us land those type of recruits that can come in and play at a high level as a freshman. We need the underbelly (guys that take years before they contribute) to give us production as 4th and 5th year players. It only makes those teams better.

Last edited:
Its a rehash, but Devito having quiet feet should be a reflection on the job Schmidt is doing with the line. Reason for optimism.
I think Tommy had always looked good in practice though.
“Tommy had a really, really good spring throwing the football. Those guys at practice can see what he can do when he has time and his feet are quiet.”

pressure isnt the issue.. its pressure on every single play that was killing us.

Even on plays where we kept several extra blockers back, and they STILL got thru.

Hard to find an open receiver when only 2-3 guys are out in the pattern, and they're all doubled, and you're running for your life after 2 Mississippi's. :confused:

Even on plays where we kept several extra blockers back, and they STILL got thru.

Hard to find an open receiver when only 2-3 guys are out in the pattern, and they're all doubled, and you're running for your life after 2 Mississippi's. :confused:
The pocket collapsed a lot but there were plays were he had time a saw similar issues in TDS play.
Feel some posters believe we just want to attack TD and see him fail. That is not true. The main thing we want is to be a successful team. Whether it’s TD or someone else at qb.

Don’t be a troll.
You're right. That was unfair.

I don't think he's always looked good in practice. I think he struggles when he's pressured every down. I'm confident that one of the ways you address that as a coach is to put him under pressure. I think it's a fair assumption that he's been bad, under pressure, in practice.

The article made it sound like he's had more time and he's looked better. That could be that the coaches are laying back and letting him throw with no pressure OR that our OL is better and he's handing it better.

Hopefully we see TD make some plays on the move too
I wouldn’t count on it. He is a pocket passer. If he gets flushed out of the pocket he should automatically run and get what he can. Nothing good has ever happened with TD throwing on the run.

You're right. That was unfair.

I don't think he's always looked good in practice. I think he struggles when he's pressured every down. I'm confident that one of the ways you address that as a coach is to put him under pressure. I think it's a fair assumption that he's been bad, under pressure, in practice.

The article made it sound like he's had more time and he's looked better. That could be that the coaches are laying back and letting him throw with no pressure OR that our OL is better and he's handing it better.
I don’t know about under pressure in practice but 3 years ago he looked good enough in practice to challenge Dungey for the starting job and I doubt he regressed in that regard.

Like everyone else I am sure the coaches see that he hasn’t handled pressure that well and are trying to work on that, but Dino’s quote specifically referred to looking good when he had time and not when he was under pressure and that’s what I was referring to.

I don’t know about under pressure in practice but 3 years ago he looked good enough in practice to challenge Dungey for the starting job and I doubt he regressed in that regard.

Like everyone else I am sure the coaches see that he hasn’t handled pressure that well and are trying to work on that, but Dino’s quote specifically referred to looking good when he had time and not when he was under pressure and that’s what I was referring to.
The Notre Dame game when Eric went out gave teams a read on TD which carried over to the next year.

Running Game last two seasons

2019: 1848 (3.7 YPC) 16 TD's
2020: 1020 (3.2 YPC) 5 TD's.

Tell me what QB is doing anything when the defense doesn't respect the run. Just as important as protecting TD is, Cuse MUST improve running the ball.

how good does Brady look under pressure with no one to throw too?
B44B057D-63C2-4A79-BF82-54FC97591C91.png

pressure isnt the issue.. its pressure on every single play that was killing us.

To me, this shouldn't even "be" a thing. If they rush you every single play, call a draw, call a slant, slip a tight end over the middle - SOMETHING, for chrissakes. Football is chess. If they try to force the action, then you have to do something to counter the attack. It's jiu jitsu; use their momentum against them.

Last edited:
To me, this should even "be" a thing. If they rush you every single play, call a draw, call a slant, slip a tight end over the middle - SOMETHING, for chrissakes. Football is chess. If they try to force the action, then you have to do something to counter the attack. It's jiu jitsu; use their momentum against them.
Most of those strategies are counters to the other team bringing extra bodies (5-6 rushers) and our problem is we were getting jailbreaked with only 3-4 coming.

I will say though that our (lack of) use of roll outs was maddening. Dino gave some terrible excuse like he can’t afford to cut the field in half when it was obvious that was a better choice than giving whatever QB <2 secs to throw. Zone read would also help but our QB was severly hurt >50% of the snaps he was playing (look how well he ran vs WMU when he was healthy)

Most of those strategies are counters to the other team bringing extra bodies (5-6 rushers) and our problem is we were getting jailbreaked with only 3-4 coming.

I will say though that our (lack of) use of roll outs was maddening. Dino gave some terrible excuse like he can’t afford to cut the field in half when it was obvious that was a better choice than giving whatever QB <2 secs to throw. Zone read would also help but our QB was severly hurt >50% of the snaps he was playing (look how well he ran vs WMU when he was healthy)
If you roll out you can always flood that side of the field. Dino just isn't very strong at in game adjustments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom