Everybody Settle Down | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Everybody Settle Down

You don't think this team played well against Louisville, Duke, UNC, Wake Forest and in the first 25 minutes or so last night? What have you been watching?

I love the tried and true "but, we played well in the first half!" mantra.

It's a full game of two halves and there are no participation trophies for outstanding 1st half performance.

Virginia let us hang in the first. That much is clear as day.

They came out in second half with heal-on-throat mentality... they ratcheted up their energy and activity on D... and we cratered completely on offense under the pressure.

Of course, it didn't help that they put on a three point clinic for the ages, as well.

Last edited:
Clemson is 17-12. 7-9 its best 3 wins are Arkansas, @South Carolina, and Virginia Tech.
If they are ahead of us on the NET then the NET is worthless.
We have more road wins and better wins.
Right now we are well ahead of them but if we ever lost to them sat and in the acct that changes.

I love the tried and true "but, we played well in the first half!" mantra.

It's a full game of two halves and there are no participation trophies for outstanding 1st half performance.

Virginia let us hang in the first. That much is clear as day.

They came out in second half with heal-on-throat mentality... they ratcheted up their energy and activity on D... and we cratered completely on offense under the pressure.

Of course, it didn't help that they put on a three point clinic for the ages, as well.
Virginia didn't "let us hang" early in that game. They were 8-12 from deep in the first half and were lucky not to be down by 10 or 12 points at the break.

We played great against wake and lville and really well for a half against duke and uva. We played pretty well against UNC part of the game is ft shooting which was abysmal.
So I guess you can't play well against a top five-ish team unless you actually win the game. Got it.

Virginia didn't "let us hang" early in that game. They were 8-12 from deep in the first half and were lucky not to be down by 10 or 12 points at the break.

If you didn't see the change in intensity in their defensive play once the second half started, I can't help you.

They flipped a switch on and raised their level of play and we couldn't deal with it.

They're not # 2 in the country by accident.

The idea that we can lose to Clemson and on Wednesday in the ACCT and still be a lock (a "lock" means there is literally no circumstance where we wouldn't get in) feels like one of those classic Syracusefan.com groupthink/echo chamber moments.

Correct...if that happens, they’ll be another home game.

If you didn't see the change in intensity in their defensive play once the second half started, I can't help you.

They flipped a switch on and raised their level of play and we couldn't deal with it.

They're not # 2 in the country by accident.

Right...and our less than great offense means we get killed. Every good defensive team will beat us. The Duke win was because of an injury.

it depends on your definition of mediocre. Given our normal history of recruiting, we most certainly DO NOT have a very good recruiting class coming in next year. I think Gurrier is under the radar and same with Goodine but we all kind of hope we are right about that because we didn't sign any Top 75 kids. If you look at the history of SU recruiting, we don't rival Kansas, Duke, UNC or UK but we usually are in the Top 15-20 for recruiting but not so this year. Heck, even UCONN has a far better class on paper than we do. By a long shot! Yes, I guess that the prognosticators are not always right and we recruit to the system but I have news for you..we would take all or most of those guys in the Top 75 but we just couldn't get them. That is the reality. And, yes, we played 3 of the Top 5 teams in the country but saying we played competitively is not enough, especially when "for the most part" is added to the equation. We have to stop giving ourselves excuses. SU is now consistently not a Top 20 team and wallows in the 25-50 category. certainly not where we want to be. So maybe we aren't mediocre by most people's definition but by a Syracuse fans definition, we seem to fir that description.

Why would a kid go play for a 70+ year old coach who hasn’t done well over the last several years plus who can retire in 3 years? HOF or not...

Why would a kid go play for a 70+ year old coach who hasn’t done well over the last several years plus who can retire in 3 years? HOF or not...
You say that for coach K Roy Williams Beilen

I say that for a coach whose reason he’s coaching is to coach his son. Who had a successor and let his hubris take over...

To play in the top conference
At a top notch academic and athletic school
Top basketball brand and facilities (melo center is sick)
To play in the carrier dome

These are all reasons why we are also top 10 programs in developing nba draft picks

To play in the top conference
At a top notch academic and athletic school
Top basketball brand and facilities (melo center is sick)
To play in the carrier dome

These are all reasons why we are also top 10 programs in developing nba draft picks

Yet we are a middle of the pack ACC team. But we have a HOF coach...

Yet we are a middle of the pack ACC team. But we have a HOF coach...
Besides Duke UNC Louisville (pre hooker scandal), I would pick Cuse seasons over any other team in the ACC in the past 10 years with our NCAA Tournament success.

Besides Duke UNC Louisville (pre hooker scandal), I would pick Cuse seasons over any other team in the ACC in the past 10 years with our NCAA Tournament success.

And your point is?

Whoa... You must be kidding. I think the fellas you named have CLEARLY fielded teams that have out performed us recently.

And your point is?

Likely that 5 outta 15 isn't middle of the pack.

As far as hubris goes Roy and K will likely go from the coaches box to their final box also, just how those dudes are wired.

Did you really think we were going to beat #2 (should be #1) UVA? Vegas had us as only 5.5 point underdogs. 5 and a half points worse, at home, to the best team in the nation. People who follow this stuff closer than we do, and have a lot more money riding on this than we do, think we're 6 points away from the best team in the nation. Think about that.

The 2015-2016 Syracuse basketball team lost to St. John's, UNC twice, Pittsburgh three times. They won @ Duke.

They had a great upper classman combo guard (Gbinije), a guy who could shoot it and spread the scoring (Malachi, sometimes Cooney), role players to rebound and play defense (Roberson), and a streaky, clutch utility guy (Lydon). Sound familiar?

This current team has 2 guys who can light it up (Battle, Hughes), and Battle can get his own shot. We have role players to rebound and play defense (Chukwu, Dolezaj), and a streaky guy who can take over games in Brissett (see last year's NCAAT).

This team has potential. Yes, we can lose to terrible, just awful teams like UConn, GTech, and ODU. But we can play possession for possession with the best teams in the country. See @ Duke, first 35 minutes of UNC, and the first 30 minutes of UVA.

We have players that have won HUGE games before. Less than 12 months ago, this same exact team, in fact a worse version of it, won 3 big games in 5 days. We can do that again. Is anybody really scared of any 6-7-8 seeds in the first round? We'd be looking at a team like Mississippi State, Utah State, Wofford, Kansas State, Maryland, UCF, Baylor, Belmont, etc. in the first round. Then a team like TTech, MSU, Houston, Marquette, in the second round.

If you're legitimitely upset since last night at 8:30, maybe turn off sports for a few months and re-evaluate your life. I have a lot of confidence in this team. Just get in the tournament, and the boys will show up.
You must be a new fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom