Everybody Settle Down | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Everybody Settle Down

I don't think this will happen, but if we're 19-13 heading into Selection Sunday, bless the hearts of all of you that will sit there confidently awaiting our name and seed.

I'm going to go for a bike ride during the selection show time and hope for the best when I get back.

In that scenario we'd have to pay attention to other conferences for bid thieves, but there would have to be 5+ to be worried.

Every one of your posts has a negative spin to it, we get it.

I think Brian really hopes SU loses the next two games so he can gloat if they don't make it to the big dance

Yes... One more win would make me more comfortable as well.

If we lose the next two... you know the chirping will start about our bad home losses and the number of blowout losses we've had. I think we're still in, but the usual suspects will be crowing...

I just don't want to hear Seth Davis and Snottlieb pile on with that crap - they'll be the first of the pundits to do it and we don't need to give them anymore reason too...

Where is Gottlieb peddling his wares these days?

You don't think this team played well against Louisville, Duke, UNC, Wake Forest and in the first 25 minutes or so last night? What have you been watching?
Maybe just leave out “and in the first 25 minutes last night”...

I think Brian really hopes SU loses the next two games so he can gloat if they don't make it to the big dance
Yes i want to add more stress to my life. I think we are in good shape all im saying is if we lose the next 2 things could get dicey. 2007 should teach us all that your not as safe as you think.

Did you really think we were going to beat #2 (should be #1) UVA? Vegas had us as only 5.5 point underdogs. 5 and a half points worse, at home, to the best team in the nation. People who follow this stuff closer than we do, and have a lot more money riding on this than we do, think we're 6 points away from the best team in the nation. Think about that.

The 2015-2016 Syracuse basketball team lost to St. John's, UNC twice, Pittsburgh three times. They won @ Duke.

They had a great upper classman combo guard (Gbinije), a guy who could shoot it and spread the scoring (Malachi, sometimes Cooney), role players to rebound and play defense (Roberson), and a streaky, clutch utility guy (Lydon). Sound familiar?

This current team has 2 guys who can light it up (Battle, Hughes), and Battle can get his own shot. We have role players to rebound and play defense (Chukwu, Dolezaj), and a streaky guy who can take over games in Brissett (see last year's NCAAT).

This team has potential. Yes, we can lose to terrible, just awful teams like UConn, GTech, and ODU. But we can play possession for possession with the best teams in the country. See @ Duke, first 35 minutes of UNC, and the first 30 minutes of UVA.

We have players that have won HUGE games before. Less than 12 months ago, this same exact team, in fact a worse version of it, won 3 big games in 5 days. We can do that again. Is anybody really scared of any 6-7-8 seeds in the first round? We'd be looking at a team like Mississippi State, Utah State, Wofford, Kansas State, Maryland, UCF, Baylor, Belmont, etc. in the first round. Then a team like TTech, MSU, Houston, Marquette, in the second round.

If you're legitimitely upset since last night at 8:30, maybe turn off sports for a few months and re-evaluate your life. I have a lot of confidence in this team. Just get in the tournament, and the boys will show up.

Well, we’re not very good.

But to your point, teams that were not very good have won a couple NC’s.

I’m looking at U, Conn. Times 2.

So sure, with crazy matchup luck we could probably get to the 16 again.

Maybe just leave out “and in the first 25 minutes last night”...
Why? They had led almost the entire game to that point, despite not getting much offense from Battle and Brissett. Surely they were doing something right to be in that position.

Why? They had led almost the entire game to that point, despite not getting much offense from Battle and Brissett. Surely they were doing something right to be in that position.
I don’t know that it makes your point to be highlighting half of a game in which we got our doors blown off at home.

This is my perspective of our HOF Coach.

He uses our regular season as a warm up (rightfully so) for the NCAA tournament.

It has been objectively demonstrated that we are trending up towards what matters.

Hughes is becoming more than a 3 point shooter and driving and finishing.

Pascal has looked like he can add some points in the offense with the dribble drive dishes down low

O’Shea is driving and rebounding and taking less stupid threes

Frank looks more composed and a leader in the past three games

Marek is the glue

Buddy is gelling

Battle being battle

I wouldn’t want to play this team in the tourney when it matters

Syracuse can lose the next two and STILL get in easy the bubble isn't a question. HAVE YOU WATCHED BASKETBALL THIS YEAR?

OK, maybe if they lost to GT again no but dude, the bubble talk makes you look dumb.

Yea they lose to Clemson and 1st round of the ACC tourney, but yea that makes them secure as hell

ofSzwU3.gif

This is my perspective of our HOF Coach.

He uses our regular season as a warm up (rightfully so) for the NCAA tournament.

It has been objectively demonstrated that we are trending up towards what matters.

Hughes is becoming more than a 3 point shooter and driving and finishing.

Pascal has looked like he can add some points in the offense with the dribble drive dishes down low

O’Shea is driving and rebounding and taking less stupid threes

Frank looks more composed and a leader in the past three games

Marek is the glue

Buddy is gelling

Battle being battle

I wouldn’t want to play this team in the tourney when it matters

If this is composed Frank...me worried. He looked like Jalen Carey at his worst in the second half.

I think every coach likely uses the regular season to prep for the tourney in some form or another. I do think it's a tad comical that people are forcing some odd narrative where regular seasons struggles + a couple tourney upsets = masterful planning.

OBs shot selection is getting better, and he's more composed? He almost just popped a guy in a tight first half against the #2 in the country with an elbow to the jaw...because....he's composed?

Some of these seem like what we hope to see...someday.

If this is composed Frank...me worried. He looked like Jalen Carey at his worst in the second half.

I think every coach likely uses the regular season to prep for the tourney in some form or another. I do think it's a tad comical that people are forcing some odd narrative where regular seasons struggles + a couple tourney upsets = masterful planning.

OBs shot selection is getting better, and he's more composed? He almost just popped a guy in a tight first half against the #2 in the country with an elbow to the jaw...because...he's composed?

Some of these seem like what we hope to see...someday.
Frank will have a monster Tournament.

Yes i want to add more stress to my life. I think we are in good shape all im saying is if we lose the next 2 things could get dicey. 2007 should teach us all that your not as safe as you think.

More teams get in now than 2007. That was a travesty, but if we had 68 teams in the tournament back then we definitely would have been in.

Yea they lose to Clemson and 1st round of the ACC tourney, but yea that makes them secure as hell

ofSzwU3.gif

So you haven't watched any other basketball. 19-13 Syracuse as the 8th place finisher in the ACC gets in this year in every possible scenario I can see. Plus the "injury factor" helps two bad losses.

More teams get in now than 2007. That was a travesty, but if we had 68 teams in the tournament back then we definitely would have been in.

'07 Team had what Drexel and Ohio losses and really stumbled down the stretch against not good teams. This team had just lost three times to 2,3,5 in the country. Syracuse was the first team left out that year at 19-13 ya? There was only one play in game. Three more teams. Now I am not saying its an absolute 100% lock if they get trounced at Clemson and drop a game to whoever bottom tier badly but there just are not near the same number of really good mid majors. If you recall in '07 there were several upsets in like the OVC MVC WCC etc. that added teams that would not be there, sure that COULD happen but, with arguably the best road win in hoops this year, I think Syracuse is still safely in even if they don't win another game.

So you haven't watched any other basketball. 19-13 Syracuse as the 8th place finisher in the ACC gets in this year in every possible scenario I can see. Plus the "injury factor" helps two bad losses.

'07 Team had what Drexel and Ohio losses and really stumbled down the stretch against not good teams. This team had just lost three times to 2,3,5 in the country. Syracuse was the first team left out that year at 19-13 ya? There was only one play in game. Three more teams. Now I am not saying its an absolute 100% lock if they get trounced at Clemson and drop a game to whoever bottom tier badly but there just are not near the same number of really good mid majors. If you recall in '07 there were several upsets in like the OVC MVC WCC etc. that added teams that would not be there, sure that COULD happen but, with arguably the best road win in hoops this year, I think Syracuse is still safely in even if they don't win another game.

How do you reconcile your following two statements?
"19-13 Syracuse as the 8th place finisher in the ACC gets in this year in every possible scenario I can see."
"Now I am not saying its an absolute 100% lock."

Are there or are there not scenarios where a 19-13 SU team would get left out?

How do you reconcile your following two statements?
"19-13 Syracuse as the 8th place finisher in the ACC gets in this year in every possible scenario I can see."
"Now I am not saying its an absolute 100% lock."

Are there or are there not scenarios where a 19-13 SU team would get left out?

sorry the almost was just typed in my head. Yea a scenario would require a bunch of teams with losing records to win their conf tourneys and Cuse to lose by double digits to Clemson and Wake/Miami/GT/BC 99.8% Lock.

None of the things that everyone was optimistic about happened. Now, that doesn't mean don't be optimistic, but a healthy dose of skepticism is okay when looking at next year's class. Relying on freshman in the back-half of the top-150 isn't a great strategy.
De Andre Hunter was outside the top 50. I believe in the 70s or 80s—around where Goodine and Quincy sit. Lots and lots of other examples like him every year.

There is absolutely no chance that JB isn't going balls-to-the-wall to win every regular season game we play.

This sounds like when you were a little kid and you beat your friend in something and they said "oh but I wasn't trying my hardest."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom