Everyone who thinks or thought Jerami Grant should have stayed>>>>> | Syracusefan.com

Everyone who thinks or thought Jerami Grant should have stayed>>>>>

He was a 2nd round pick. And the sixers signed him to a very team friendly deal where they gave him a 2 yr 1.7 mil deal and then 2 more team options on the cheap. Meaning he is owned for up to 4 years for barely more than the league minimum.

His success didnt mean it was a good decision to turn pro.

That being said, I am very happy for his success and follow him nightly.

and on the flip side, Ennis's lack of PT doesnt mean his decision to go pro was a bad 1. It could actually be the opposite.

IMO, Ennis was never a NBA PG. But his stock rose because of our 25-0 record and the late game heroics. If he had come back and his magic wore off similar to the last 9 games last year, he may not have ever sniffed the draft.

So at least he got paid 2 years of money.

The reaction from MCW in one of those clips was crazy.
If you're talking about the player who was near the baseline facing the basket, that was KJ McDaniels

and on the flip side, Ennis's lack of PT doesnt mean his decision to go pro was a bad 1. It could actually be the opposite.

IMO, Ennis was never a NBA PG. But his stock rose because of our 25-0 record and the late game heroics. If he had come back and his magic wore off similar to the last 9 games last year, he may not have ever sniffed the draft.

So at least he got paid 2 years of money.
I don't know man, I think he would have played well this year with Rak and Cooney. I agree that he's probalby never an NBA PG, but no way if he came back he wouldn't have sniffed the draft, that seems drastic.

Zach Lowe wrote a blurb on Grant in his All Star piece for Grantland:

10. The Jerami Grant Experience

Are you a lonely, self-hating person prone to choosing activities that cause you misery? Did the K.J. McDaniels experience wear thin for you? Meet your next reason to tune in to the Philadelphia 76ers: Jerami Grant, a 6-foot-8 multi-positional something who is shooting 35 percent from deep and jumps around a lot.

Grant had eight blocks against the Knicks last week. He tries to dunk everything around the rim, a search-and-destroy mentality that produces highlights regardless of whether Grant crams it or misses. He went at Kosta Koufos so hard over the weekend that Koufos felt inspired to break out the Mutombo finger wag upon turning away Grant’s dunk attempt. If you can’t bear to watch, at least remember the name.

If I'm completely honest, what Grant and Ennis do now makes me :noidea:. I don't hate either one for wanting to get paid, but I don't really pay much attention to them either. I'm a fan of Syracuse basketball and the guys that I pay attention to after they're gone are the guys that gave some kind of lasting memories. Grant was barely scratching the surface of what he was going to do but was nothing more than a good player while he was here. Ennis had his game winner against Pitt. For me, last season wasn't all that memorable both because of the flame out the last third of the season and because the chinks in the armor were evident prior to the flame out. Because of that and the fact that neither player was all that special individually I just don't feel that much of a connection to either one.

The guys that will always stick out to me are the guys that were integral pieces on memorable teams and/or guys that were fun to watch special talents while they were here.

Last edited:
I don't know man, I think he would have played well this year with Rak and Cooney. I agree that he's probalby never an NBA PG, but no way if he came back he wouldn't have sniffed the draft, that seems drastic.

I did say, "IF he came back and his magic wore off like the last 9 games"

He was a 2nd round pick. And the sixers signed him to a very team friendly deal where they gave him a 2 yr 1.7 mil deal and then 2 more team options on the cheap. Meaning he is owned for up to 4 years for barely more than the league minimum.

His success didnt mean it was a good decision to turn pro.

That being said, I am very happy for his success and follow him nightly.
Yep, actually just the opposite.

Jerami's success proves that leaving so early was a poor financial decision. He would be a lottery pick this June.

He could have wiped with the chump change he's making during the course of this year by comparison.

Jerami's success proves that leaving so early was a poor financial decision. He would be a lottery pick this June.

He could have wiped with the chump change he's making during the course of this year by comparison.
If Jerami had realized his potential at SU this year instead of the NBA he would be knocking on 1st AA status and be a magazine cover boy and likely lottery pick. Would have easily made in 2 years what the Sixers are going to pay him for 4. Don't these kids realize the HOFer really does know whats best for them, not just SU.

If Jerami stays he's the star of this year's team and his draft stock rises accordingly

If Jerami stays he's the star of this year's team and his draft stock rises accordingly

Why do so many people assume that a player develops more at Syracuse or at least at the same level?

He can concentrate fully on basketball with better trainers and assistant coaches now. I would say the NBA experience has been a big factor in his filling out.

I believe Jerami will be entitled to a nice little bonus at year-end as Philly will have paid way less than the minimum salary cap. In those instances, the pay difference must be paid back to the players (As per Coon, the NBA salary cap expert). The only thing I am not sure about is if the shortfall is distributed to all Philly Players, or all NBA players.

In the Ennis thread I heard it's all about the second contract. That making a decision on the first contract is poor. It's all about developing for that second deal.

In the Grant thread I read how he gave up money his first contract .

Certainly the great development Grant has made this year will pay off in his second contract. The answer for better development is not always the NCAA. For some it's actually the NBA, yet some don't want to accept that. Player maturity is a key factor.

Everyone rips the 76ers for their hoarding of draft picks BUT, IF and its a big IF, they actually keep their players instead of going on another draft pick binge, they've really got some serious young talent and Grant/McDaniels were picked in the 2nd round. MCW/Noel/Embiid are 3 other fantastic young pieces and then add to that what will be another high pick this year..

If Jerami keeps blowing up, as I'm confident he probably will, theres no reason why the Sixers wouldn't redo his contract & try to lock him up long-term.
At the very least, they'll look to reward him on the 2nd go-round...if they can keep him.
Either way, the decision to leave & follow his dream, and make some money doing what he loves, was undoubtedly the right one for him...and for him to make on his own.
JMHO

2nd round at best

Each of these guys would have had front page pub had they come back to Syracuse. Now no one hears anything about them unless they read this board. Both should have come back.

Publicity is nice. $1 million+ dollars this year is nicer. There's really no way to say that coming back would have definitively been a better option for either of them, and I don't think there ever will be.