Everyone who thinks or thought Jerami Grant should have stayed>>>>> | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Everyone who thinks or thought Jerami Grant should have stayed>>>>>

Some delightful young man wrote about Jerami late last night, as it happens! http://.com/jerami-grant-is-starting-to-turn-heads-in-the-nba/
Grant was hurt to start the year. His DNPs were not coach's decisions.

He was a 2nd round pick. And the sixers signed him to a very team friendly deal where they gave him a 2 yr 1.7 mil deal and then 2 more team options on the cheap. Meaning he is owned for up to 4 years for barely more than the league minimum.

His success didnt mean it was a good decision to turn pro.

That being said, I am very happy for his success and follow him nightly.

Grant got guaranteed money.

IMO, if you declare early for the draft and got guaranteed money, you made a good decision. It was risky for Grant b/c he was a 2nd rounder, but it worked out with 1.7 million dollars guaranteed and was paid like a late first rounder.

If you play well (like Grant) you get to your 2nd contract earlier (if he went in the 1st round, the contract structure would have been the same with years 3 and 4 as team options).
If you struggle (like Ennis), you still guarantee yourself 3.25 million dollars.

Parsons had the same contract structure as Grant and parlayed it into 3 years and 46 mil as his 2nd contract.

Guaranteed money determines whether your decision was correct.

IMO, if you declare early for the draft and got guaranteed money, you made a good decision. It was risky for Grant b/c he was a 2nd rounder, but it worked out with 1.7 million dollars guaranteed and was paid like a late first rounder.

If you play well (like Grant) you get to your 2nd contract earlier (if he went in the 1st round, the contract structure would have been the same with years 3 and 4 as team options).
If you struggle (like Ennis), you still guarantee yourself 3.25 million dollars.

Parsons had the same contract structure as Grant and parlayed it into 3 years and 46 mil as his 2nd contract.

Always amusing to read the comments from the "he shoulda stayed" crowd. Other than conjecture and speculation about "what might've happened" had they stayed, there doesn't seem to be a compelling argument for walking away from a contract for millions of dollars, under the premise that they "coulda" made more or done better by staying.
If I was in their position, getting paid millions to do what I love, versus schlepping to some 8:30 class during a Syracuse winter, risking injury, and getting paid nothing in return- the choice to leave would be a no-brainer.
JMHO

Always amusing to read the comments from the "he shoulda stayed" crowd. Other than conjecture and speculation about "what might've happened" had they stayed, there doesn't seem to be a compelling argument for walking away from a contract for millions of dollars, under the premise that they "coulda" made more or done better by staying.
If I was in their position, getting paid millions to do what I love, versus schlepping to some 8:30 class during a Syracuse winter, risking injury, and getting paid nothing in return- the choice to leave would be a no-brainer.
JMHO

The problem with your assessment is that he isn't being paid "millions."

He might have earned that if he'd chosen to stay, improve, and turn himself into a first round pick.

In the Ennis thread I heard it's all about the second contract. That making a decision on the first contract is poor. It's all about developing for that second deal.

In the Grant thread I read how he gave up money his first contract .

Certainly the great development Grant has made this year will pay off in his second contract. The answer for better development is not always the NCAA. For some it's actually the NBA, yet some don't want to accept that. Player maturity is a key factor.

That's because Ennis was a first round pick, whereas Grant was a second round pick.

The financial logistics aren't remotely commensurate. Grant got very, very lucky--despite how much some would like to pretend otherwise.

JMHO

This is at the very least equally amusing as the posts from the 'he should have stayed' crowd.

First of all, just so we're clear, Jeremi Grant and any other SU athlete, for that matter, is never going to an 8:30 a.m. class. Whether or not they are going to class at all is debatable but, they are definitely not going to 8:30 a.m. classes.

Secondly, no one is 'walking away' from anything. What you are trying to do is make a smart decision about your career. So the simple analogy is this -- if you're starting a career after college and you have a chance at an unpaid or low-paid internship at a big, well-established company and you have an offer from a smaller company doing essentially the same thing but as a full-time employee, albeit for far less starting salary than you might potentially get after the internship, what do you do?

That's a very real example. Do you take an unpaid internship with the Washington Post and hope those connections serve you well or do you start working at the Annapolis Capital and hope someone notices your writing while you're also getting paid and gaining experience? It's a really tough answer.

For a kid like Grant, the question isn't walking away from 'millions' of dollars, it's making the right decision between devloping and getting paid. I hope very much that it works out well for him and I wish him no ill will, but it's still hard for me to believe that he couldn't have been drafted much higher and probably gotten a phenomenal second contract (where the real money is) by working hard over the summer and coming back to college for a year.

And, lastly, athletes 'walk away' from tens of millions of dollars ALL THE TIME. Granted, they are already being paid, but Max Scherzer 'walked away' from 6/$144M. Why? Because there's a pretty good chance he ends up with more (which he did ... a lot more). Furthermore, the worst things athletes do for themselves, at times, is sign extensions and contracts for 'long-term insurance' -- essentially what you are suggesting Grant do (forgo any potential future value for the first 7-figure deal that potentially comes up). Longoria and Moore on the Rays, for example, are on absolutely atrocious deals for each of them. Are they going to be fine? Sure, but they passed up probably close to $100M each with the deals they signed. Longoria will never make $20M during the length of his contract (which, it should be pointed out, is also in Tampa which just got even sadder with the departures of Maddon, Zobrist, Friedman, Myers, etc.). That is insane.

Anyway, point is, if you want to argue Grant made the right decision, there are points to be made. But suggesting that returning to school is absurd simply b/c there is $850K/year on the table for two years is asinine.

Slippery language and logic billsin01. Here's the deal.

1. Get paid as an apprentice with a professional employer and negotiate your contract extension based on your performance.
2. Remain as an amateur with the hope that a professional employer will offer you a better deal later.

Working for free in your chosen career cannot win. The amateur scholarship stipend is out of whack. The coulda, woulda, shoulda scenarios all cancel out. If Grant explodes because of his talent, he's further ahead negotiating as a professional on the inside.

This is at the very least equally amusing as the posts from the 'he should have stayed' crowd.

First of all, just so we're clear, Jeremi Grant and any other SU athlete, for that matter, is never going to an 8:30 a.m. class. Whether or not they are going to class at all is debatable but, they are definitely not going to 8:30 a.m. classes.

I'm only going to comment on this part of your post to say that this is completely off-base. Debate the decision to turn pro all you want, but to throw a comment like this out there is disappointing to say the least.

With the practice and travel schedules that athletes face (in all sports), you might be surprised to learn that many are taking 8:30 am classes because that's what fits around all their obligations...and the ones who aren't taking 8:30 classes are usually the ones on teams who start practice at 6 or 7 am and can't make an 8:30.

You must not have read my post or know about Grants contract.

He has 3rd and 4th year team options on the cheap. The sixers own him for 4 yrs. Only have to pay him for 2 if he all of a sudden becomes awful. But he looks almost guaranteed to get all 4 years of that money.

KJ mcdaniels on the other hand is going to get paid next year. He is the 1 who got "lucky"

I'm only going to comment on this part of your post to say that this is completely off-base. Debate the decision to turn pro all you want, but to throw a comment like this out there is disappointing to say the least.

With the practice and travel schedules that athletes face (in all sports), you might be surprised to learn that many are taking 8:30 am classes because that's what fits around all their obligations...and the ones who aren't taking 8:30 classes are usually the ones on teams who start practice at 6 or 7 am and can't make an 8:30.

That's true. Steve Ishmael was on the 8:00 a.m. bus from Skytop regularly this fall, and Christmas and Patterson were on a similar schedule last spring.

On a completely different note (and I agree with Bills's take, on the whole), you're all missing something. I'm no relativist, but it's not so easy to pin down a "correct" decision here. If money's the most important thing in your life, maybe it's a good idea to leave and pursue the professional career. For me, that's nuts. I wouldn't trade my college experience for any amount of money; it was the best time in my life. For those who'd rather trade some money for that, I feel sorry for you.

If Jerami keeps blowing up, as I'm confident he probably will, theres no reason why the Sixers wouldn't redo his contract & try to lock him up long-term.
At the very least, they'll look to reward him on the 2nd go-round...if they can keep him.
Either way, the decision to leave & follow his dream, and make some money doing what he loves, was undoubtedly the right one for him...and for him to make on his own.
JMHO

I don't believe you can re-do a contract in the NBA.

They will reward him with market value on the 2nd go-round.

If I'm completely honest, what Grant and Ennis do now makes me :noidea:. I don't hate either one for wanting to get paid, but I don't really pay much attention to them either. I'm a fan of Syracuse basketball and the guys that I pay attention to after they're gone are the guys that gave some kind of lasting memories. Grant was barely scratching the surface of what he was going to do but was nothing more than a good player while he was here. Ennis had his game winner against Pitt. For me, last season wasn't all that memorable both because of the flame out the last third of the season and because the chinks in the armor were evident prior to the flame out. Because of that and the fact that neither player was all that special individually I just don't feel that much of a connection to either one.

The guys that will always stick out to me are the guys that were integral pieces on memorable teams and/or guys that were fun to watch special talents while they were here.
your life sounds miserable

Yep, actually just the opposite.

Jerami's success proves that leaving so early was a poor financial decision. He would be a lottery pick this June.

He could have wiped with the chump change he's making during the course of this year by comparison.
lol, he is making money right now, getting closer to his next contract

please tell me how he would be a lottery pick this year on a team with no PG?

i've seen a lot of jerian on ESPN top ten plays. jerami not so much this year.
Jerami just started playing this month, and he is on a team tanking it

Jerami just started playing this month, and he is on a team tanking it

I dont want to nitpik, but Jerami has been playing since a few days after Thanksgiving.

That's true. Steve Ishmael was on the 8:00 a.m. bus from Skytop regularly this fall, and Christmas and Patterson were on a similar schedule last spring.

On a completely different note (and I agree with Bills's take, on the whole), you're all missing something. I'm no relativist, but it's not so easy to pin down a "correct" decision here. If money's the most important thing in your life, maybe it's a good idea to leave and pursue the professional career. For me, that's nuts. I wouldn't trade my college experience for any amount of money; it was the best time in my life. For those who'd rather trade some money for that, I feel sorry for you.
NBA lifestyle > your shitty frat lifestyle

You must not have read my post or know about Grants contract.

He has 3rd and 4th year team options on the cheap. The sixers own him for 4 yrs. Only have to pay him for 2 if he all of a sudden becomes awful. But he looks almost guaranteed to get all 4 years of that money.

KJ mcdaniels on the other hand is going to get paid next year. He is the 1 who got "lucky"

Ummm, I know exactly about Grant's contract. Grant got 2 years guaranteed, totaling 1.7 million. Team options are for lesser money b/c that is the exchange of getting guaranteed money (which is rare for 2nd rounders).

Grant's contract is nearly identical to the one Parsons signed as a 2nd round pick out of Florida.

McDaniel's contract looks good b/c he played well. Kudos for him for working it out. Don't pretend it wasn't a massive risk. And he still needs to get through this year healthy or he could be left with nothing.

Grant got guaranteed money as a 2nd rounder. It ended up being a good decision.

The original point of this thread was to point out that it isn't always about the money like most in this thread think. Jerami is realizing his dream. Playing at the highest level, blocking Melo, highlight dunks.

I dont want to nitpik, but Jerami has been playing since a few days after Thanksgiving.
I stand corrected, time goes by so quickly when you are having fun. Another reason he made the right choice, time goes so fast:)

your life sounds miserable
Really? Because I don't feel a connection to certain former players? Do you follow every former SU basketball player? Tell me, what's Billy Celuck up to these days? It doesn't count if you have to go look it up after reading my post.

If your happiness is completely wrapped up in the status of former SU basketball players, I feel sorry for you.

Ummm, I know exactly about Grant's contract. Grant got 2 years guaranteed, totaling 1.7 million. Team options are for lesser money b/c that is the exchange of getting guaranteed money (which is rare for 2nd rounders).

Grant's contract is nearly identical to the one Parsons signed as a 2nd round pick out of Florida.

McDaniel's contract looks good b/c he played well. Kudos for him for working it out. Don't pretend it wasn't a massive risk. And he still needs to get through this year healthy or he could be left with nothing.

Grant got guaranteed money as a 2nd rounder. It ended up being a good decision.

This is an exact copy/paste from your original post:
"If you play well (like Grant) you get to your 2nd contract earlier (if he went in the 1st round, the contract structure would have been the same with years 3 and 4 as team options)."

edit, I guess I can see what you are saying, but it is pretty easily misunderstood.

Getting to that 2nd contract a year earlier wouldn't make that huge of a difference. The more money up front and a much bigger 4th year would have made up the difference.

There are probably 5 people in the history of the NBA that did what Chandler Parsons did. And Jerami Grant aint there yet.