Everyone's favorite topic Uniforms | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Everyone's favorite topic Uniforms

Dead horse, but the unis are great. Just change the font and tweak a few things.

The degrees/skyline stuff is just fluff. It's hard to design uniforms for a bunch of teams and not have some fluffy BS to differentiate.

Doesn't bother me if other teams have the same look. I'd rather have this good look than our current bad look. When we play Clemson or Virginia one team wears white jerseys while the other wears orange jerseys. If they don't like it, let them be the ones that change to something ugly just to be different from us.[/QUOTE]

Im fine with that too. I guess I'll take the Dino Babers mentality. Old School guy but values the new school stuff. Having a uniform that represents that might be his approach to this. I do like the thought of him adding his on twist to start his coaching era at Cuse. Slanted fonts, lock the gate is Shafer's stuff. So this move makes sense to me.

I heard from a source within AD that Babers may try to tweak the uniforms.

Nothing major I heard but just usher in a new era. I would be fine with this if they just fix the numerals. The orange/blue/white can be mixed around but this would be great. Has anyone heard the same?

We wouldn't overhaul them I heard just a tweak.

Just bring back the plain orange helmet. No more S.

Jeepers said:
Dead horse, but the unis are great. Just change the font and tweak a few things. The degrees/skyline stuff is just fluff. It's hard to design uniforms for a bunch of teams and not have some fluffy BS to differentiate.

Yep. All that was "designer speak" - used to justify things and impress.

Much better than "I just really really like diagonal lines"

It shouldn't take a masters degree in art. That's how you end up with nonsense like lines on the numbers and sleeves at 44 degree angles plus tall numbers that look like the skyscrapers in Manhattan.

It's very simple. White jerseys with orange numbers in a normal font outlined in blue. Orange jerseys with white letters outlined in blue.
smh.

I like throwbacks especially honoring an anniversary but I also like forward design. There are very few uniform designs that do withstand the test of time. Someone post the Steelers bumble unis. Those ARE throwbacks. Were there people at one time clamoring to go back to the tan pants days? Progress is a good thing. Also, uniform changes is really important in recruiting.
Everyone is a critic and opinions are like... well you know the rest.

Not 100% on topic but how much discretion does a player have in modifying his uniform? Like if he wants to cut off the sleeves is that allowed?

The argument is always that "the kids" like them. Fine. Then Pick something the kids like and stick with it. Stop changing them every freaking game. It's dumb. And it dilutes the Brand.

All4SU said:
The argument is always that "the kids" like them. Fine. Then Pick something the kids like and stick with it. Stop changing them every freaking game. It's dumb. And it dilutes the Brand.

This argument goes round and round.

Truth is that the brand IS the ability to have a bunch of combos. If you're watching highlights and you think "what team is that?* Oh - Oregon", Nike/Oregon have won.

*If they actually win or are really competitive.

Soccer teams around the world get new uniforms every year! With sponsors on the front!

It doesn't dilute anything. Everyone knows who they're watching on TV or in the stadium. It's just something for people to complain about.

I always love the "I don't know who's playing" argument.

Typically when I scroll through the stations looking for a game to watch, none of them say Football - Guess who's playing by uniform combo' good luck

They always seem to say, Football - Syracuse vs. Pittsburgh, or Exactly who is playing.

Soccer teams around the world get new uniforms every year! With sponsors on the front!

It doesn't dilute anything. Everyone knows who they're watching on TV or in the stadium. It's just something for people to complain about.
College football is not Professional soccer.

I'm honestly surprised people are still so worked up about the uniforms. I get it when we wouldn't wear any orange, but Coyle pretty much fixed that aspect. We wore the "traditional" color combo quite a bit this year. And they even managed to make an all orange combo look good.

I'm honestly surprised people are still so worked up about the uniforms. I get it when we wouldn't wear any orange, but Coyle pretty much fixed that aspect. We wore the "traditional" color combo quite a bit this year. And they even managed to make an all orange combo look good.
I think its more about the losing. We've been losing the last two years so people natually associate the losing with the uniforms.

Last edited:
My "druthers" would be to bring back the McNabb era uniform. However, I can live with a uniform that uses the traditional colors and isn't a stuff uniform like we've had the last few years. Gross is gone; let's get rid of the 44 degree lines and the skyscraper-evoking numbers (we need piping around whatever number font is used to make them stand out). We aren't NYC's team any more than UConn or Rutgers is. I think the answer is to go with a new vendor. UA anyone?

College football is not Professional soccer.
uniforms are uniforms.

and since college is unique in that schools can wear which ever brand's uniforms they want, it actually relates to professional soccer more closely than other US sports.

12738472-large.jpg

These are gone and won't be comming back, unless they (Nike) decide to do a throw back game. I feel like a lot of the people who complain about the current jerseys are from the old school and are caught up in the nostalgia of the old uni's look... Which is fine! I'm not knocking that. I'm younger but even I have a soft spot for this look but the arguement that recruits like these new uni's is what drives the bus towards change. For better or worse, these jerseys will continue to trend towards a more... What's the word I'm looking for... Progressive? Modern? Look. The most we can hope for are tweaks (numbers being changed/moving away from grey and silver) and that we don't get too Russel Westbrook/Cam Newton-esk flashy.

By the way, when you do a Google image search for "worst football uniforms" here is what comes up third...

usp_ncaa_football__notre_dame_at_syracuse_67601768.jpg

that's not possible

For the purpose of this conversation, yep - it is.
I really disagree. If it were, the teams would have sponsors on the uniforms, and the fans would have stopped caring about such things years ago.

I feel like a lot of the people who complain about the current jerseys are from the old school and are caught up in the nostalgia of the old uni's look...

Some are.

Others are perfectly fine with new uniform designs theoretically, we just don't like the one's we have. And to me anyway, it's largely about the numbers, which are hard to read and use poor coloring.

I'm not pining for 1992, I just want to be able to easily see what running back is carrying the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom