Everyone's favorite topic Uniforms | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Everyone's favorite topic Uniforms

GoSU96 said:
Well it can't be the coaches because P and Marrone sucked, so something has to explain it. I mean the way you defended Shafer it had to be an outside agent that caused his demise, right. BTW, I'll take you seriously when your right about something.

You tried to tie our W/L record to our uniform choices. I don't need you to take me seriously.

EDIT: I don't post here to be right. I post here because I'm a fan. Being a fan > Being right. I also own up to being wrong in public, reversing my opinions, and giving kudos to people who were right. More honor in that than being stubborn and pompous.

Last edited:
at the end of the day, I could give 2 shlits about the number fonts, I could read them just fine...and I don't care to red0 the mcphearson-mcnabb-freeney era look either, but it needs to be close to it.

why?

not because that's when we won...but because we call ourselves the stooped ORANGE and we continue to trot out the team in non-ORANGE related unis.

if all you art majors want to throw away 1oo+ years of branding history by creating something that you think is cool...then go to a start up.

don't F with what has been done forever.

we are Syracuse.

the Syracuse ORANGE even.

the colors...are ORANGE with blue and white.

the colors are us and our brand.

hell again, a color is our name!!

and often we wear unis that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the brand and thus the name Syracuse.

I don't care if they put the names and #s in hieroglyphics...just get the geddamn color scheme right.

I've loved Kaiser since we met in January, 1990.

This post above is exactly why.

TheCusian said:
I have explained it. You don't understand. 1. You and I like them. But we're not 18 year old kids. 2. They look dated. That's why we like them. A tie to the past when we were good. Kids don't remember that time or care that much. 3. If uni's were strictly for fans, we would have one look for a longer period of time. At schools where the fan base is loud enough ($ x people) - they don't change that much. We are not one of those schools.

As has been said many times, kids like anything new to them. Everyone says oh look player so and so tweeted they love these unis. Well not one recruit has ever been given a choice or choices. So the answer is standard and expected.

rrlbees said:
As has been said many times, kids like anything new to them. Everyone says oh look player so and so tweeted they love these unis. Well not one recruit has ever been given a choice or choices. So the answer is standard and expected.

I've disagreed with that in the past. It's far from definitive.

But let's go with it. What's the harm? The players like new things, players get new things. Cranky fans feigning ignorance on not knowing who their team is? A lack of passion because they look different than 20 years ago?

Players opinion > Fan opinion

I've disagreed with that in the past. It's far from definitive.

But let's go with it. What's the harm? The players like new things, players get new things. Cranky fans feigning ignorance on not knowing who their team is? A lack of passion because they look different than 20 years ago?

Players opinion > Fan opinion
absogoddamnlutley wrong.

GoSU96 said:
That's nonsense. And it's not twenty years ago, it's three freaking seasons ago.

I have no idea what you're talking about - 3 years ago?

And as I said in the beginning of the thread, fan bases that get their way when it comes to uni's do so through influence ($). We don't have enough fashion passionate booster$ to sway things one way or another.

Unless Go is writing a check, I'd expect fan opinion to play a relatively small part in the discussion.

Have we asked the recruits about the uniforms? I've been told that we will get a lot of recruits to commit if we have cool uniforms.

I just find that hard to believe.

Alabama has the same uniform it has worn since the early 1960s.

And that has not impacted its recruiting in a negative way.

The same is true for Texas and USC and Auburn.

Plus, if a young recruit were to look at our traditional uniform, who is to say he would not be impressed?

The uniform in my opinion is ultimately for the fan - the person who supports to the Program for years and years.

And, in my opinion, the Coach Mac uniform was both great and symbolic of our success on the field.

And both reasons, I would like to see a return to that uniform - as I have been saying for the last two years.

To look good is to play good,

One losing season between 1987 and 2004 in the traditional uniforms.

It went to hell when this,

images

transitioned to this garbage in 2005

images

then went 28 and 23 and three bowl wins in four yearss when that look was replaced by this

View attachment 56129

(I attribute the struggles in 2013 to the introduction of blue pants, blue helmets)

and then we changed to this awfulness

View attachment 56130

Two losing seasons in what would be considered the traditional look since 1987, '87 through 2004 + 2010 through 2013.

Zero winning seasons in garbage 2005 to 2009, 2014 and 2015.

I'd say there's a pretty strong correlation there.

I don't care if it's not scientific.

I agree with it.

The classic Coach Mac uniform is symbolic of our success on the field.

That is why the Jets went back to the Joe Namath look and why the Blue Jays went back to the Joe Carter look and the Islanders went back to the Billy Smith look and why the BYU football team went back to its traditional look.

And, it's why Alabama, Texas, USC, Michigan, Auburn, Penn State, and aside for maybe a game here and there, Ohio State, Florida State, and cornerstone programs stick with their traditional look - it connotes success on the field.

And, I'm all for that.

Bring back the Coach Mac uniforms complete with the numbers on the side of the pants.

I don't care if it's not scientific.

I agree with it.

The classic Coach Mac uniform is symbolic of our success on the field.

That is why the Jets went back to the Joe Namath look and why the Blue Jays went back to the Joe Carter look and the Islanders went back to the Billy Smith look and why the BYU football team went back to its traditional look.

And, it's why Alabama, Texas, USC, Michigan, Auburn, Penn State, and aside for maybe a game here and there, Ohio State, Florida State, and cornerstone programs stick with their traditional look - it connotes success on the field.

And, I'm all for that.

Bring back the Coach Mac uniforms complete with the numbers on the side of the pants.
Agree,Get rid of the Rollerball Uni's

OrangePA said:
I just find that hard to believe. Alabama has the same uniform it has worn since the early 1960s. And that has not impacted its recruiting in a negative way. The same is true for Texas and USC and Auburn. Plus, if a young recruit were to look at our traditional uniform, who is to say he would not be impressed? The uniform in my opinion is ultimately for the fan - the person who supports to the Program for years and years. And, in my opinion, the Coach Mac uniform was both great and symbolic of our success on the field. And both reasons, I would like to see a return to that uniform - as I have been saying for the last two years.

Yeah - we are not any of those schools. They don't need to try to get recruits attention with small things like uni's because of sustained recent (and past) success.

And as I've said before: why is it for fans?! We don't put them on. I'm okay sacrificing my own personal nostalgia if it means good things for the program.

And it's all moot if we return to national prominence in the current uni. They will become the next generations nostalgia.

lets see, penn state keeps classic uniforms, as well as many other teams. we change uniforms and we think kids will buy into the flash. we think that by doing this it will appeal to the kids and we will recruit better. i cannot believe that people buy into the this???? kids and their parents buy into success!!!! win and we get the players. there is comfort in familiarity and branding. get the right coaches and relationships, consistency, and history we will be fine

Yeah - we are not any of those schools. They don't need to try to get recruits attention with small things like uni's because of sustained recent (and past) success.

And as I've said before: why is it for fans?! We don't put them on. I'm okay sacrificing my own personal nostalgia if it means good things for the program.

And it's all moot if we return to national prominence in the current uni. They will become the next generations nostalgia.

You and I just don't agree on this issue.

The fan is the person who pays the money with ticket sales, donations and advertising.

Ultimately it's the fan who finances the program and makes the program worthwhile.

And, I for one, don't believe we need the clown uniforms to attract high quality talent.

We are a cornerstone program - one that has produced eight Hall of Famers, the greatest player of all time and a number of other legendary players who rank with the best of all time - Ringo, Davis, Little, Nance, Freeney, Harrison, Anderson, Mackey and on and on.

We are not a program that has no tradition - that needs a gimmick.

Oregon needed a gimmick. Oklahoma State needed a gimmick. Rutgers needs a gimmick.

We don't need it.

Last edited:
tipphill said:
lets see, penn state keeps classic uniforms, as well as many other teams. we change uniforms and we think kids will buy into the flash. we think that by doing this it will appeal to the kids and we will recruit better. i cannot believe that people buy into the this???? kids and their parents buy into success!!!! win and we get the players. there is comfort in familiarity and branding. get the right coaches and relationships, consistency, and history we will be fine

I've asked several patents this over the past several years and not one player has ever chosen SU because of the unis. They may like or even love them but the decision is made for other reasons.

you go sell new coke.

ill go sell Coca-Cola Classic

in a few months lets check cash registers.

Those schools were getting all kinds of positive press on highlight shows and he Internet. This was also generating a lot of buzz among high school players. It also led to many college teams changing to similar concepts of multiple gameday looks. SU didn't decide to scrap the 2012 uniforms and start experimenting in a bubble, so everyone needs to stop debating the issue as that were the case. Now that most teams are doing it, it isn't an issue with publicity and recruits-until the next fad comes along.
If it were such a positive publicity where did all the wins come with it. All sizzle and no steak. We lose sight of what every action should involve. Winning. These fancy uniforms mean nothing in the big scheme of things. I'm not asking any 17 yr old kid what they want in a uniform. Just like I'm not asking them what color practice uniforms they want, or what food they want, or the size of their lockers, or temperature in the dome, or what music they want during games. Some things just are and its better for adults, administration, marketing people, fans. Our change in uniforms had nothing to do with recruiting better players or coaches. Nothing. Players don't rent uniforms they get them for free. Fans and alumni have to buy them.

its real simple fellas. We are fans, some are donors, etc.. but it doesnt matter what our opinions are. If you are a true fan, you will watch and support them no matter what they are wearing. Are you gonna be happy if they wear the old uniforms but lose? Are you gonna be mad if they wear uniforms you dont like, but win? It really doesnt matter. They are people underneath those garments. Support them and judge them by what they do on the field and how they represent the school off the field.

Last edited:
KaiserUEO said:
you go sell new coke. ill go sell Coca-Cola Classic in a few months lets check cash registers.

Perfect point.

Syracuse isn't Coca-Cola Classic. We're Jolt.

If you're trying to bring back a brand that hasn't been good since the 90's to market to people born in the 90's - starting with fresh branding, rebooting is a good common sense start.

Side note: by your own logic, you should be an Alabama, Ohio State fan. An established juggernaut with never-change branding.

its real simple fellas. We are fans, some are donors, etc.. but it doesnt matter what our opinions are. If you are a true fan, you will watch and support them no matter what they are wearing. Are you gonna be happy if they where the old uniforms but lose? Are you gonna be mad if they wear uniforms you dont like, but win? It really doesnt matter. They are people underneath those garments. Support them and judge them by what they do on the field and how they represent the school off the field.

Couldn't have said it better myself...was just gonna post this word for word...Money just beat me to it.

is this still a discussion? what has it been, three years now?

Let it go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom