Everyone's favorite topic Uniforms | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Everyone's favorite topic Uniforms

Maybe some people. I love new uniforms, huge fan of all of Oregon's combos. I even like some of the wacky stuff Maryland has tried.

But our uniforms stink.

I'm not longing for 1992, but I'm longing for something better than what we have.
i am longing for 1960's look and home white jerseys.

GoSU96 said:
Somebody needs to explain why these needed to be changed So much better than the dreck what came before And so, so, so, so, so much better than what came after,

I have explained it. You don't understand.

1. You and I like them. But we're not 18 year old kids.

2. They look dated. That's why we like them. A tie to the past when we were good. Kids don't remember that time or care that much.

3. If uni's were strictly for fans, we would have one look for a longer period of time. At schools where the fan base is loud enough ($ x people) - they don't change that much. We are not one of those schools.

Updated, yet ties to past.
LAX uni.jpg

I have explained it. You don't understand.

1. You and I like them. But we're not 18 year old kids.

2. They look dated. That's why we like them. A tie to the past when we were good. Kids don't remember that time or care that much.

3. If uni's were strictly for fans, we would have one look for a longer period of time. At schools where the fan base is loud enough ($ x people) - they don't change that much. We are not one of those schools.

Since when is 2012 the past?

The players are renters.

GoSU96 said:
Since when is 2012 the past? The players are renters.

You and I like the 2012 uni's because they remind us if the last time we were good - McNabb era.

And if a student athlete is putting his health (short and long term) on the line - than their opinions should be catered to before the fans. If you don't like it you should go Alabama booster and voice your opinion$. They'd go back to pink and green saltine warriors for enough cash ;)

I'd support a different font, but I like the design of the current jerseys. Besides the horrific platinum, I think the others all look nice. I'm still hoping for a white helmet, orange top, white pants combo though. I can't remember if we wore that at all last year or not.

You and I like the 2012 uni's because they remind us if the last time we were good - McNabb era.

And if a student athlete is putting his health (short and long term) on the line - than their opinions should be catered to before the fans. If you don't like it you should go Alabama booster and voice your opinion$. They'd go back to pink and green saltine warriors for enough cash ;)

Arrrggghhhh.

Some of us liked them because they looked better than what we wear now. Not because we're dreamily remembering the 1999 Insight.com Bowl.

Do I need to post the 75 FBS uniforms that are very similar in their "dated" design?

Have we asked the recruits about the uniforms? I've been told that we will get a lot of recruits to commit if we have cool uniforms.

Updated, yet ties to past.
View attachment 56011

The Lax unis are awesome, and really appear to get it completely right, details and all. I love how all of the lax stitching is piped out around Syracuse and the numbers.

The hoops unis are much better than the past couple of years getting rid of that putrid grey, but they need to pipe out around the Syracuse/Cuse name as they do with the numbers, it's not as attractive as it could be.

The Nassib era unis are classic, however, I'd get rid of the grey face mask in lieu of the navy blue. That being said, I like the current football unis, other than those ridiculous fonts as mentioned.

The athletic dept. needs to be consistent with everything in regards to the unis.

As they say, it's all in the details. :)

SU68 said:
My "druthers" would be to bring back the McNabb era uniform. However, I can live with a uniform that uses the traditional colors and isn't a stuff uniform like we've had the last few years. Gross is gone; let's get rid of the 44 degree lines and the skyscraper-evoking numbers (we need piping around whatever number font is used to make them stand out). We aren't NYC's team any more than UConn or Rutgers is. I think the answer is to go with a new vendor. UA anyone?

I'm not sure UA is the answer. I can assume that our basketball players enjoy the brand on their feet in comparison to another brand. I'm not sure Jimmy would stray from Nike either. That's a 30 year relationship. I would imagine it's an all sport deal with the uniform vendor.

Scooch said:
Arrrggghhhh. Some of us liked them because they looked better than what we wear now. Not because we're dreamily remembering the 1999 Insight.com Bowl. Do I need to post the 75 FBS uniforms that are very similar in their "dated" design?

"You and I"... Not Scooch, I think ;)

Better is subjective. Like what you want.

Some change, some stay the same, whatever. I loved the Nassib era uni's. I like the uni's now.

Problem is empathy and entitlement: "Players renting" and the uni's should be what I want, etc.

I really disagree. If it were, the teams would have sponsors on the uniforms, and the fans would have stopped caring about such things years ago.
There are no sponsors on the uniforms because the NCAA does not allow it. If they did, how long do you think it would take for some schools to start doing it?

i am longing for 1960's look and home white jerseys.

Unless the NCAA has changed the rules, don't they require the visiting teams to wear white jerseys (subject to preapproved exceptions)?

at the end of the day, I could give 2 shlits about the number fonts, I could read them just fine...and I don't care to red0 the mcphearson-mcnabb-freeney era look either, but it needs to be close to it.

why?

not because that's when we won...but because we call ourselves the stooped ORANGE and we continue to trot out the team in non-ORANGE related unis.

if all you art majors want to throw away 1oo+ years of branding history by creating something that you think is cool...then go to a start up.

don't F with what has been done forever.

we are Syracuse.

the Syracuse ORANGE even.

the colors...are ORANGE with blue and white.

the colors are us and our brand.

hell again, a color is our name!!

and often we wear unis that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the brand and thus the name Syracuse.

I don't care if they put the names and #s in hieroglyphics...just get the geddamn color scheme right.

The athletic dept. needs to be consistent with everything in regards to the unis.

As they say, it's all in the details. :)

You're talking about an athletic department that once ditched a mascot without having a replacement. And didn't have an official athletics logo until 10 years ago. Details is generally not how we roll.

2012 was the perfect modern touch on the uniforms of the 80s and 90s.

It took Gross several tries to get it right.

Once he did, then he tore it all down and started over.

It was like the woman in Brewster's Millions creating the room that Monty said he could die in. (how's that for random).

at the end of the day, I could give 2 shlits about the number fonts, I could read them just fine...and I don't care to red0 the mcphearson-mcnabb-freeney era look either, but it needs to be close to it.

why?

not because that's when we won...but because we call ourselves the stooped ORANGE and we continue to trot out the team in non-ORANGE related unis.

if all you art majors want to throw away 1oo+ years of branding history by creating something that you think is cool...then go to a start up.

don't F with what has been done forever.

we are Syracuse.

the Syracuse ORANGE even.

the colors...are ORANGE with blue and white.

the colors are us and our brand.

hell again, a color is our name!!

and often we wear unis that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the brand and thus the name Syracuse.

I don't care if they put the names and #s in hieroglyphics...just get the geddamn color scheme right.
We only didn't wear Orange a few times last season, you don't have complaints anymore so stop beating a non existant dead horse.

We only didn't wear Orange a few times last season, you don't have complaints anymore so stop beating a non existant dead horse.
Yes, I was right, they changed to my preference.

So why is this thread here?

Oh yeah, to say they're changing again.

So let's hope they still listen to me.

For I am right.

Not sure why you bothered to comment actually.

Others were allowed to revisit there lies, misinformation, or overall wrongness without impediment...and I revisit my correct argument and u cry.

Oh well...

2012 was the perfect modern touch on the uniforms of the 80s and 90s.

It took Gross several tries to get it right.

Once he did, then he tore it all down and started over.

It was like the woman in Brewster's Millions creating the room that Monty said he could die in. (how's that for random).
Now those are uniforms I could die in...

Chip said:
2012 was the perfect modern touch on the uniforms of the 80s and 90s. It took Gross several tries to get it right. Once he did, then he tore it all down and started over. It was like the woman in Brewster's Millions creating the room that Monty said he could die in. (how's that for random).
Not to defend the decision to change because I really like those 2012 uniforms too, but that was also the time period when a handful of schools started experimenting with multiple uniform combos. Those schools were getting all kinds of positive press on highlight shows and he Internet. This was also generating a lot of buzz among high school players. It also led to many college teams changing to similar concepts of multiple gameday looks. SU didn't decide to scrap the 2012 uniforms and start experimenting in a bubble, so everyone needs to stop debating the issue as that were the case. Now that most teams are doing it, it isn't an issue with publicity and recruits-until the next fad comes along.

To look good is to play good,

One losing season between 1987 and 2004 in the traditional uniforms.

It went to hell when this,

images

transitioned to this garbage in 2005

images

then went 28 and 23 and three bowl wins in four yearss when that look was replaced by this

upload_2016-2-24_9-18-30.jpeg

(I attribute the struggles in 2013 to the introduction of blue pants, blue helmets)

and then we changed to this awfulness

upload_2016-2-24_9-20-59.jpeg

Two losing seasons in what would be considered the traditional look since 1987, '87 through 2004 + 2010 through 2013.

Zero winning seasons in garbage 2005 to 2009, 2014 and 2015.

I'd say there's a pretty strong correlation there.

GoSU96 said:
To look good is to play good, One losing season between 1987 and 2004 in the traditional uniforms. It went to hell when this, transitioned to this garbage in 2005 then went 28 and 23 and three bowl wins in four yearss when that look was replaced by this (I attribute the struggles in 2013 to the introduction of blue pants, blue helmets) and then we changed to this awfulness Two losing seasons in what would be considered the traditional look since 1987, '87 through 2004 + 2010 through 2013. Zero winning seasons in garbage 2005 to 2009, 2014 and 2015. I'd say there's a pretty strong correlation there.

Only in your mind.

Only in your mind.

Well it can't be the coaches because P and Marrone sucked, so something has to explain it.

I mean the way you defended Shafer it had to be an outside agent that caused his demise, right.

BTW, I'll take you seriously when your right about something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom