Expanded College Football Playoff coming | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Expanded College Football Playoff coming

Exactly he doesn’t get 6-2 would be close to 2nd a lot more than one in a while.
6-2 against a 14 team league is different than 6-2 against a 7 team division, no? I get it.

100%.

If we win the ACC at 9-3 it’s way more likely than we finish top 12.
Unless we have a bunch of top 25 seasons in a row we won’t get respect the years we do have a 2018 season.

Had we beaten Pitt and only had 2 Ls in 2018 to 13-0 #2 Clemson in a close loss on the road and 12-0 #3 ND then we likely end the year 13th and miss the playoffs. You can’t ask for better losses in a 10-2 season and it still wasn’t for enough.

I agree with much more than I disagree with. Couple notes below.

1.) G5. They actually get to play. With the current system, they don't. Of course, expanding to 8 would take care of them too. Totally agree. Although I think you will need SEC/B1G support for any expansion and since 12 helps them more than 8(like you say), if they are going to support expansion it will be for 12

2.) ND. With 6 at large bids, they are way better than 50-50 to make it any year. And, they don't have to join a league. Totally agree although potential proposal to make 4 highest ranks champs have a bye would provide some conference incentive

3.) SEC, and to a slightly lesser extent, B1G. I would guess these two will nail down 4 of the 6 at-large bids most years. I expect the two richest leagues were a driving force to skip 8 and go to 12. I can hear the debate--"If you're going to guarantee those G5 slugs a slot, we aren't settling for, at most, one extra slot per year". Today those conferences average 2.5/4 slots or 63%. In a 12 team format you can probably count on 3 from the SEC (Bama/Georgia/Other) and 2 from B1G (OSU/PSU with occasional other). So if they average 5.5 out of 12 slots per year (3 for SEC/2.5 for B1G) that translates to 45%. This would be a roughly 30% reduction in participation by SEC/B1G.

Many years, ACC/Big XII/PAC-12 will scrap over 1 or 2 leftover spots. Today those 3 conferences average 1.5 slots per year (Clemson plus Oklahoma every other year) and in the new format they would be guaranteed 3 (double todays rate) plus any other teams that have very good years with 1-2 losses that don’t win the conference championship. So they are guaranteed double exposure in the new format and in some years will get one or more beyond that

Had we beaten Pitt and only had 2 Ls in 2018 to 13-0 #2 Clemson in a close loss on the road and 12-0 #3 ND then we likely end the year 13th and miss the playoffs. You can’t ask for better losses in a 10-2 season and it still wasn’t for enough.
We don’t make the CFB if we go 10-2 in 2018 with losses to Clemson and ND.
You are correct.
We don’t have the brand that would get respect unless we had a bunch of top 25 seasons in a row.

Winning the conference is our way in.
The at-large possibilities aren’t happening for us.

This makes sense. The 12-team tournament might be the impetus to do away with the rigidity of divisions and allow leagues to best determine their champions.

The 3-5-5 (for example) should have been in place for several years now, but for the obstinacy of the B1G. What can you expect from folks who came up with "Leaders and Legends"?

Based on the 7 years of CFP rankings nothing really changes with CCGs playing the conference's best two teams. A few Who's change but not how many from each conference.

2020, 2019, 2017, 2016, 2014
Nothing changes in terms of number of playoff teams for the P5.

Nothing changes for the ACC, B1G, B12, and SEC. The P12 Washington State makes the CG. Had they beaten Washington in a close game then it would have been possible, although unlikely that Washington doesn't drop behind Penn State. Which gives the P12 two teams instead of one.

Nothing changes for the ACC, B1G, B12, and SEC. The P12 Oregon would have made the CG and had they won, they may have had a chance to be the 2nd P12 CFP team. Although they needed to jump from #16 to #11, which likely does not happen. And if they did then it is possible Stanford gets left out instead of TCU.

Based on the 7 years of CFP rankings nothing really changes with CCGs playing the conference's best two teams. A few Who's change but not how many from each conference.

2020, 2019, 2017, 2016, 2014
Nothing changes in terms of number of playoff teams for the P5.

Nothing changes for the ACC, B1G, B12, and SEC. The P12 Washington State makes the CG. Had they beaten Washington in a close game then it would have been possible, although unlikely that Washington doesn't drop behind Penn State. Which gives the P12 two teams instead of one.

Nothing changes for the ACC, B1G, B12, and SEC. The P12 Oregon would have made the CG and had they won, they may have had a chance to be the 2nd P12 CFP team. Although they needed to jump from #16 to #11, which likely does not happen. And if they did then it is possible Stanford gets left out instead of TCU.
Man - us losing to Pitt in that horrible thunder stoppage game would have loomed even larger, rematch with Clemson in the CCG on the line.

Last edited:
I like where they were like “we need to meet with university blah, blah, blahs and also we’ll meet with our broadcast partner to discuss the feasibility*”

* cash

Approving 3-5-5 for all conferences would mean that the SEC and B1G are finally acknowledging that the ACC isn't going to implode.

The day this happens College Football's Regular season just becomes like every other sport and less relevant. Can't wait for the first time Michigan vs Ohio St or LSU-Alabama, or Auburn-Alabama has the teams or a team "resting multiple starters" as they don't want to risk them to injury as they get ready for the playoff.

Those regular-season games and the outcomes become less relevant.

You still have to finish first in your conference (P5 + Top G5) for six of the eight spots. Two wildcard spots is hardly undermining the entire regular season. Three of five P5 runner ups will be left out.

You still have to finish first in your conference (P5 + Top G5) for six of the eight spots. Two wildcard spots is hardly undermining the entire regular season. Three of five P5 runner ups will be left out.
That's not how it works. Just because you win your conference you aren't "guaranteed" a spot in the playoff. There are other conditions that a team must meet to qualify. You may think well if you win your conference odds are you will meet those conditions (and for the Big 10, SEC, and Clemson 99% of the time, sure it will). But it's not as cut and dry as that.

That's not how it works. Just because you win your conference you aren't "guaranteed" a spot in the playoff. There are other conditions that a team must meet to qualify. You may think well if you win your conference odds are you will meet those conditions (and for the Big 10, SEC, and Clemson 99% of the time, sure it will). But it's not as cut and dry as that.

That's my proposal - each of the P5 and top G5 conference winners get spots, with only 2 chosen at large.

You can't say anything is "how it works" for an 8 team or 12 team playoff because it doesn't exist yet.

That's my proposal - each of the P5 and top G5 conference winners get spots, with only 2 chosen at large.

You can't say anything is "how it works" for an 8 team or 12 team playoff because it doesn't exist yet.
Well they have the proposal they are going to move forward with and it's just a matter of making it official. They aren't debating on what they should do or how many teams...etc, they know what they will do at this point. Just when they do it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom