Experts on Syracuse basketball and NCAA Tournament chances: Orange is in | Syracusefan.com

Experts on Syracuse basketball and NCAA Tournament chances: Orange is in

It would be nice if we could win 2 of the next 3 and then win an ACC tournament game. If UVA is one of those wins I could see us getting a bump to a 6 seed.

I think if we get 1 of the next 4 we are 100% in, without it we are 90% in. That's probably overly pessimistic given the resumés, but I have an extremely difficult time ever feeling "safe" at 18-14.

You win the UVA game...we're completely in..go 1-2, I think we're in but may be in the play in games again (which I don't want)...2-1, we're all good and if you win anything in the acc tourny, even better.

I just don't see them not letting 8 teams into the tourny from the ACC

We're still on the 8seed line right now.

Dean made some great points about how if some of these mid major conferences don't win their tournys, some teams are going to get knocked out of the NCAA tournament.

I don't think we are in if we lose out. What makes the Wake win important, is not the win (which has no value), but that we avoid a bad loss (that has lots of negative value).

I have us as about 85-90% with one more win, and I may up that after this weekend.

I’m not really sure what this proves.

Few things:

1. (and most importantly) Pat Forde is a tool.

2. The bubble sucks.

3. Boeheim publicly crapping on Greensboro wasn't the smartest move.

The numbers are obviously important and already favor us getting a bid. Let's talk about the selection committee members themselves for a moment. Remember, these are real people - not robots - with preconceived notions. What kind of narrative have we given them?

Perhaps they watched the 2K Classic. At worst, they saw us lose two games and were not impressed. At best, they recognized we were without our starting PG and lost the second game to a ranked team in what was expected to be the championship game.

While I don't think every member of the committee followed the 2K Classic, I do think every last one of them paid attention to the game at Ohio State. Remember, OSU was the #1 team in the very first NET rankings. So when we went into their house and won, you better believe the committee noticed. That was one of the most memorable wins of the non-conference schedule, especially for the committee.

We probably fell under the radar for a while after that, until we went to Duke. Once again, we picked up a road win against a #1 team (I believe in NET and the polls). It was the most impressive road victory of the season for any team and won't be topped.

So in all likelihood, most of the committee will be walking into that room remembering SU for the wins over OSU and Duke. As they do a deep dive, they're going to see some other quality wins and the only real blemish will be losing at home to Georgia Tech (as long as we don't lose to Wake). All of the other losses they'll see will be against ranked teams, tournament teams, or from Q2 (as long as we don't lose to Wake).

We're fine (as long as we don't lose to Wake).

I absolutely do not feel safe at 18-14. 20 wins is the key number for me

2 years ago everyone had us "in" after we beat Duke at home. Look how that turned out.
The problem with comparing to that 2017 team is that they had absolutely zero road wins that were favorable. They had 2 road wins for the entire season - at NC State and at Clemson. Both were not good that year. This year, we more than doubled that amount of road wins, and we have some excellent Q1 wins on top of it.

The numbers are obviously important and already favor us getting a bid. Let's talk about the selection committee members themselves for a moment. Remember, these are real people - not robots - with preconceived notions. What kind of narrative have we given them?

Perhaps they watched the 2K Classic. At worst, they saw us lose two games and were not impressed. At best, they recognized we were without our starting PG and lost the second game to a ranked team in what was expected to be the championship game.

While I don't think every member of the committee followed the 2K Classic, I do think every last one of them paid attention to the game at Ohio State. Remember, OSU was the #1 team in the very first NET rankings. So when we went into their house and won, you better believe the committee noticed. That was one of the most memorable wins of the non-conference schedule, especially for the committee.

We probably fell under the radar for a while after that, until we went to Duke. Once again, we picked up a road win against a #1 team (I believe in NET and the polls). It was the most impressive road victory of the season for any team and won't be topped.

So in all likelihood, most of the committee will be walking into that room remembering SU for the wins over OSU and Duke. As they do a deep dive, they're going to see some other quality wins and the only real blemish will be losing at home to Georgia Tech (as long as we don't lose to Wake). All of the other losses they'll see will be against ranked teams, tournament teams, or from Q2 (as long as we don't lose to Wake).

We're fine (as long as we don't lose to Wake).

no one cares that we beat what turned out to be a bad OSU team - pretty sure they are aware we beat Duke on the road - AND gor run by GT, Buffalo and Old Dominion at home - let alone lossed to UCONN and Oregon - we need to beat Wake and/or UVA, Clemson to be in - if not we need to do something in the ACC - reality is we seem to be playing decent right now and could be a dangerous team but we do not deserve to be in factoring the entire season

no one cares that we beat what turned out to be a bad OSU team - pretty sure they are aware we beat Duke on the road - AND gor run by GT, Buffalo and Old Dominion at home - let alone lossed to UCONN and Oregon - we need to beat Wake and/or UVA, Clemson to be in - if not we need to do something in the ACC - reality is we seem to be playing decent right now and could be a dangerous team but we do not deserve to be in factoring the entire season
The committee doesn’t have time to follow every program. Some of them will remember the losses you mentioned, but not all. I explained why they would care about OSU. It’s nothing but NET.

I mean your first sentence is objectively wrong as OSU is still a Q1 win. Buffalo is a game we should have won, but far from a bad loss and ditto for ODU. I also would not describe the way we lost to either team as getting “run.” Finally Oregon was a different team when we “lossed” to them. No Bol Bol now.

No argument wrt UConn tho.

And how familiar are you with the rest of the field? You have to know how we stack up against everyone else before you make a statement like that.

no i dont have an analysis of every other bubble team - just saying if we dont get in it will be laughable to cry that we got shafted - and dont forget as a fan - we had zero business beating Georgetown and would definitely be outside the bubble right now with that as a loss - hey, i think we can we the next 3 - also think we are much better than the first half of the season

no i dont have an analysis of every other bubble team - just saying if we dont get in it will be laughable to cry that we got shafted - and dont forget as a fan - we had zero business beating Georgetown and would definitely be outside the bubble right now with that as a loss - hey, i think we can we the next 3 - also think we are much better than the first half of the season

The committees not going to evaluate teams we beat but "had no business beating." You could make that argument for the game at Duke as well since Hughes' 75 footer was the difference.

Also I hate to be that guy but you cant really say we dont deserve to be in if you dont know how other teams are doing. I mean just look at the "last four in" on bracket matrix.

no i dont have an analysis of every other bubble team...
Neither does every member of the committee before they walk into the room. Most of them will have little more than personal bias. You rattled off a bunch of negatives that only stick out because you follow SU. Members of the committee are only going to remember the headlines. OSU and Duke might be our only headlines.

- we had zero business beating Georgetown

The Orange specialize in beating G-town.
This season and last were beautiful...two great "last second" facials!
It's a beautiful thing when they and that alleged coach of theirs get what they so rightly deserve.

As for those who say SU is definitely in...you're looking at the numbers and drawing the proper conclusions. Is such a display of logic ever warranted when the Orange are involved?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom