Exposed | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Exposed

It took Hurley a season at Wagner and two at URI before he turned the corner at those places.

I’m not sure if you raise that as a knock on him, or to his credit.

He took over a 5-win Wagner team and a 7-win URI team. Probably more of a rebuild than what’s going on now.

Guys, you need to relax. This is year one in Coach Autry‘s career. Yes we are getting blown out by teams more talented than us but we are winning The games were supposed to win. We need wins, the next game at Pitt is just as important as this game at Carolina where we’ve never won.
Why is the Pitt game important?

PG - Copeland, Starling
SG - Mintz, Cuffe
SF - Bell, Taylor
PF - Brown, Williams
C - Hima, Carey, Patterson (McLeod out)

What is so hard about this?

Blowouts aside, I am actually thrilled to have 11-6 record. .500 season was a win in my book for first year. And this is also the hardest schedule there has been in probably a decade. Sure a lot has to change but middle of season progress report I’m not that mad. Sure getting blown out stinks but again we kinda knew those games were going to be very tough no matter what

Blowouts aside, I am actually thrilled to have 11-6 record. .500 season was a win in my book for first year. And this is also the hardest schedule there has been in probably a decade. Sure a lot has to change but middle of season progress report I’m not that mad. Sure getting blown out stinks but again we kinda knew those games were going to be very tough no matter what
Regardless the effort this team has displayed against top 25 teams is pathetic…this board would be on complete meltdown if JB had a 40 point loss.

Why is the Pitt game important?
It’s a winnable game on the road; these are the games we need to win. Winning at Cameron or UNC is a pipe dream with this team

Who have we beat? Oregon. That is really it. We beat Colgate in a game that we were actually down 24 pts. There is no way to spin that this is anywhere near good. Or acceptable. And I really fear that the worse is yet to come.

Who have we beat? Oregon. That is really it. We beat Colgate in a game that we were actually down 24 pts. There is no way to spin that this is anywhere near good. Or acceptable. And I really fear that the worse is yet to come.
Dasher I'm a little more optimistic than you but I don't know how anyone is thrilled with an 11-5 record albeit against a tough schedule but they basically gave up in the 1st half of a conference game. Theres a pride and lack of toughness issue in the program. The fans are also sounding alot like football fans around 03/04.

Did Red or one of the other coaches forget to zip up? ;)

Otherwise, I’m not sure what this thread is about.

I guess JAB was exposed
when we had that epic beatdown by…
checks notes…
DePaul, back in the day?

I think most of us knew that UNC was too much for us. But that was no excuse for the team performance. I could have lived with a blowout loss IF the team was trying to do their best.

The worst part for me was the turnovers. The box score says 17 but I think they just quit counting at that number. Such carelessness so many times was sickening.

So, the TOs led to lack of effort with some along with more TOs.

Just show us you care by valuing the ball and putting forth an honest effort for the whole game and fans will give you much more leeway than you're seeing right now.

LGO

Same exact record at this point last year and last year there were losses to Colgate, St Johns and Bryant. Amazing what people forget about “Bad”. There’s been zero of those losses this year.
That isn't a standard though. The coach that did that got fired because of it. We were horrible last year. 11 wins with really no good wins. A better than .500 record isn't what this program is about. Getting boat raced against any good team isn't either. As of right now, we are a program that is incapable of giving a good team even a game. The thing that is scary is that the 3 new guys that we brought in from the portal, haven't been good at all. And a 4th hasn't played. I hope and I know everyone else hopes, that isn't a sign of things to come.

We aren’t signing 5-7 transfers.
Then sign more freshmen. Having two freshmen at this stage for next year is also less than ideal, IMO.

Real coaches who want to win now are overrecruiting half these guys. Instead we are allowing them to develop... or largely not develop.

No urgency.

That isn't a standard though. The coach that did that got fired because of it. We were horrible last year. 11 wins with really no good wins. A better than .500 record isn't what this program is about. Getting boat raced against any good team isn't either. As of right now, we are a program that is incapable of giving a good team even a game.
Oh I’m with ya trust me. We used to never even think about having less than 20 wins a year. It’s tough bc I think it’s been so rough for a while that it’s changed the perception of what SU was for so long. I miss those days lol

Then sign more freshmen. Having two freshmen at this stage for next year is also less than ideal, IMO.

Real coaches who want to win now are overrecruiting half these guys. Instead we are allowing them to develop... or largely not develop.

No urgency.
I think there is an urgency. These coaches are Orangeman. They want to win more than we do. At the end of the day, we go on to other things. This is their lives. I have to think they have an idea on what they are going to try and do to fix this mess. And they know if they don't, someone else will.

I think there is an urgency. These coaches are Orangeman. They want to win more than we do. At the end of the day, we go on to other things. This is their lives. I have to think they have an idea on what they are going to try and do to fix this mess. And they know if they don't, someone else will.
I understand that. But if you've been a part of the recruiting classes brought in, and have ties to them, it is much harder to have the conversations you need to have with them to be successful. Much different than say another outsider who has no allegiances to anyone.

If they truly have the urgency necessary, half of this roster will not be at SU next year.

I suspect most will be back and the hope is the two freshmen will be the additions we need. I don't believe those two guys will be enough to propel us from this deep a hole.

No urgency.
We aren’t signing any freshmen worth a damn at this point in the cycle. Theres a couple guys like JJ we are stuck with that need to get better.

We aren’t signing any freshmen worth a damn at this point in the cycle. Theres a couple guys like JJ we are stuck with that need to get better.
Don't disagree. Can they get better? Are they capable?

This game exposed where SU is as a program. We saw the downside of all the players, the overall roster issues and a new head coach finding his way. It’s painful and hard to watch but necessary to have a realistic assessment. With the exception of Brown our best players faults are equal to their talents. We also have rotational players that wouldn’t get minutes on NCAAT caliber teams.

It is was it is. We are what we have seen. Sure this was the worst the team could perform but at their best this game is still a loss IMO. In some ways I wonder if Red has done a great job to have 11 wins so far. I’m not sure the roster is better than Pitt/BC/Oregon.

I’m going to marinate in this feeling. I’m going to remember it. One day we will be back and this will just make being back feel that much better.
jordoo:

I thought your post was very good.

I agree they weren’t going to win this game or will any games we play vs teams of NC’s caliber this year.

Left with a team that hadn’t really played together, we look like it but are beginning to look better. Red had been, with Gerry and Allen, on the go recruiting, trying to piece together the best team to begin with and then working on man, shooting and trying to sub in the best players to play.

IMO, this is a team that is slowly finding itself, its rhythm and the players are just beginning to gel. We‘ve only completed 1.0 of learning how to play man and I think too many are expecting too much too soon.

Red is getting a better idea of what he has and if he didn’t think something like this was going to happen I’d have to disagree. The team will slowly get better along with its record but maybe not this year.

The ACC is not a good place to play developmental games, especially when we are working to find who fits on the court with whom but that’s what you’ve got. Until we win something substantial and then follow it up with another we’ll plod along the way we are.

As you say, I believe this year’s team so far, is no better than the games you mentioned above and we’ll see if we can repeat against them coming up quickly.

One thing we are missing among others is a fairly consistent three point shooter or two – that would add something we don’t have yet and may not for awhile but is something needed on any team at this level.

Finishing this up, you can’t have players catching fire one at a time across games, you have to have good shooting by key players all the time – it’s how you win.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom