Class of 2021 - F John Camden (PA / Brewster) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 F John Camden (PA / Brewster)

Agreed. I don’t think Camden blocks anyone. Frankly I don’t see JB making it more than the year so that throws all long term rosters into doubt. Get Camden and roll. The roster always works itself out
I think we’ve seen in the last couple of years that the roster doesn’t always work itself out. Of course, this may be the new normal for “roster management.”

As I high schooler Camden was one of the best shooting "guards" in his class. John's handle and passing were solid, so he wasn't just a shooter. He kept growing, and he was relabeled a forward by many. As good of a shooter that he was in HS, he did have a lower release and more of a push on his shot. Could be an issue in college. Maybe that was corrected at Memphis, or maybe not. Either way, this would be a good Swider replacement at this point since we have a previous relationship. Playing zone would probably hide some of his defensive.. not terrible, but also not a strength.

Last edited:
While I like John Camden and think that he would be a very good addition to the squad, he may not have the skills needed to mesh with the incoming freshman (btw, he basically is a redshirt freshman). We need a proven rebounder and scorer more than a just a scorer (even his 3 point shooting skills is a plus). If he came in, he would be comparable to Chris Bunch (a little less athletic, but a better outside shooter), Justin Taylor (both want to be shooting guards but their height and perhaps mobility have moved them into the SF/PF positions). What Syracuse needs is a beast on the boards which hopefully Maliq Brown can help with but he is unproven at this time.

Camden would be a Plan B based on his scoring potential but misses the mark on what Syracuse needs at this moment unless the Cuse brings back Frank Anselem.

While I like John Camden and think that he would be a very good addition to the squad, he may not have the skills needed to mesh with the incoming freshman (btw, he basically is a redshirt freshman). We need a proven rebounder and scorer more than a just a scorer (even his 3 point shooting skills is a plus). If he came in, he would be comparable to Chris Bunch (a little less athletic, but a better outside shooter), Justin Taylor (both want to be shooting guards but their height and perhaps mobility have moved them into the SF/PF positions). What Syracuse needs is a beast on the boards which hopefully Maliq Brown can help with but he is unproven at this time.

Camden would be a Plan B based on his scoring potential but misses the mark on what Syracuse needs at this moment unless the Cuse brings back Frank Anselem.
I agree - was thinking if we didn't lose Anslem, Camden would be a good addition.
Although, I feel like we are overly cautious with our freshmen. A lot of teams just let their guys go out and play, learn, make mistakes, suffer some losses and win some, but by mid-year, the team gels, guys are confident and get better. Maybe for once JB will roll the dime and just let guys play and figure it out.

I agree - was thinking if we didn't lose Anslem, Camden would be a good addition.
Although, I feel like we are overly cautious with our freshmen. A lot of teams just let their guys go out and play, learn, make mistakes, suffer some losses and win some, but by mid-year, the team gels, guys are confident and get better. Maybe for once JB will roll the dime and just let guys play and figure it out.
Let’s hope; but likely ‘sweet dreams are made of this’!

A couple of schools of thought. First, we have three frosh forwards coming in already. Do we really bring in a 4th? What does that say to those guys? On the other hand, the best guys play. I like his game a lot but I would rather get a guy that is in his last year. More mature and easier for the frosh to sit behind. We really don't want to set ourselves up for another mass transit, do we?

THERE IS NO COMPARISON WHEN COMPARING BUNCH TO CAMDEN.

No. 15. Comes in with about 5:46 left in first half and plays a ton in 2nd half

A couple of schools of thought. First, we have three frosh forwards coming in already. Do we really bring in a 4th? What does that say to those guys? On the other hand, the best guys play. I like his game a lot but I would rather get a guy that is in his last year. More mature and easier for the frosh to sit behind. We really don't want to set ourselves up for another mass transit, do we?
Agree.

I think it's going to be hard to find someone in their last year that as an impact player though..

I am looking at evanmiya.com and the best transfers available at forward are underclassmen.

Golden and Delaire are older, but nothing special.

I'm with you here. Camden sounds intriguing but would essentially make for a 7th freshman for next year...

Just asking the question -- don't know much about Camden specifically. He could be a great "get" for all I know.

But given that we're already bringing in 6 freshman, does it make sense to bring in another guy who essentially hasn't played and is unproven [I believe he was a medical redshirt, or something along those lines]?

Shouldn't we be looking for more proven transfers via the portal? I.E., someone who can step in, start, and help replace the lost production that went out the door with Swider?

Just asking the question -- don't know much about Camden specifically. He could be a great "get" for all I know.

But given that we're already bringing in 6 freshman, does it make sense to bring in another guy who essentially hasn't played and is unproven?

Shouldn't we be looking for more proven transfers via the portal?

EXACTLY this.

We don't need another young, unproven ?? at F - we're loaded at the ?? already.

We need a dude who can get buckets.
And has shown the ability to do so.

I said the same thing yesterday. I greatly prefer a 1 year guy to replace Cole. A grad transfer or whatever. We have 6 recruits. 5 of them have been committed for awhile. While none were probably made any promises, they were sold on what their opportunities would be, what the coaches saw as their roles near term and far, how they fit in the plans and scheme, etc. I’m sure that all played into their decisions. It’s a touchy situation if you bring in another guy basically in the same class. It’s easy to say may the best man win the job, but that’s not what was sold I’m sure. It’s not going to be an easy decision for the staff how to play this. I also wonder too if it could impact future recruiting if we’re pushing kids aside before they even get a chance. Kids talk.

It does set up a perfect scenario for a handful of posters (not you obviously). If we don’t bring in anything more than a back up center, some posters will go off on JB. If we do and then young players leave next year, posters will go off on JB for again “losing” players.

Not an easy call IMO.

I said the same thing yesterday. I greatly prefer a 1 year guy to replace Cole. A grad transfer or whatever. We have 6 recruits. 5 of them have been committed for awhile. While none were probably made any promises, they were sold on what their opportunities would be, what the coaches saw as their roles near term and far, how they fit in the plans and scheme, etc. I’m sure that all played into their decisions. It’s a touchy situation if you bring in another guy basically in the same class. It’s easy to say may the best man win the job, but that’s not what was sold I’m sure. It’s not going to be an easy decision for the staff how to play this. I also wonder too if it could impact future recruiting if we’re pushing kids aside before they even get a chance. Kids talk.

It does set up a perfect scenario for a handful of posters (not you obviously). If we don’t bring in anything more than a back up center, some posters will go off on JB. If we do and then young players leave next year, posters will go off on JB for again “losing” players.

Not an easy call IMO.
Yeah. The more I think about it, unless we can get a stud SF for a year, the correct play is to bring in a backup C and hope that the 3 freshmen + Benny can provide enough F production.

Yeah. The more I think about it, unless we can get a stud SF for a year, the correct play is to bring in a backup C and hope that the 3 freshmen + Benny can provide enough F production.

One thing we need to keep in mind is that this isn’t a fantasy basketball game or video game. When you recruit a kid, especially someone you really want, you sell the kid, but you also sell and build relationships with the parents, their AAU or HS coach and who knows who the hell else. Don’t want to see bridges burned. We absolutely hear after year recruit the best kids we can, even recruiting over everyone on the roster. But it’s a different story within the same class, especially this late in the cycle.

Camden looks great. I think he’s an instant impact wherever he goes. Gimme him over a grad transfer.

These are all great points, but I keep coming back to this idea that when we envision the player in the portal that does something more of what we want, ie in your example rebound, if we can't name a guy that a) has a previous relationship with the staff and/or b) has a geographical connection to SU, we don't have a legitimate target.

And I'm not saying that is true for every program. I'm saying that's true for how our program currently operates.

Not an easy call IMO.
I think it'll be pretty wild to do so, but if the forward rotation is Benny and the frosh trio, I'm actually fine with that.

I think we just need to be realistic about this envisioned grad transfer forward. He might be real, he might be a myth. He's a lot more real if he's a guy that the staff has known about that comes here and plays close to home. Has anyone that's popped up matched up like that?

Truthfully yes. I have faith that at least one of Taylor and Bunch will be a good SF.
I do, too. But you think they’ll be instant-impact, starter-level good as freshman? I think one or both of them could be a key sub, but I have serious doubts that they could be the kind of high-impact forward we need next season.

I do, too. But you think they’ll be instant-impact, starter-level good as freshman? I think one or both of them could be a key sub, but I have serious doubts that they could be the kind of high-impact forward we need next season.
Taylor can contribute and play a role. Just not score…

Hope is not a strategy. Lol. I kid.

Hard to disagree, but if Taylor can’t be impactful as a three point threat, this team will be really hurting as presently constructed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom