Favorite college team nicknames | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Favorite college team nicknames

PurpleCow380x260.gif

And we regularly beat the Lord Jeffs.
Boo (to the Moo)

Banana Slugs (Santa Cruz) and Anteaters (Irvine). Those newer U of California campuses have picked some cute ones. I actually have a Banana Slug tee-shirt from Santa Cruz (son of friend used to go there). It has a smiling banana slug on the front; and the ass of a banana slug on the back.

forever immortalized by John Travolta in Pulp Fiction

6a0154324f8185970c019103efeedb970c-800wi

The Smurfsburg Blue Hose is a good one. ;)

Hard to go against Banana Slugs.

43790633.jpg
I have that shirt...gotta love Banana Slugs. It wasn't too long ago I heard the school was considering changing their mascot but the alum rallied to keep it.

(Inexplicably and unforgivably) retired nicknames: Poets (Bard), Flying Dutchmen (Hofstra), Orangemen, and Red Raiders (just so inexcusable that Colgate changed this; infuriating).

Current nicknames: Billikens (St. Louis), Privateers (New Orleans), Vandals (Idaho), Banana Slugs (UCSB [or maybe UCSC, always forget]).

(Inexplicably and unforgivably) retired nicknames: Poets (Bard), Flying Dutchmen (Hofstra), Orangemen, and Red Raiders (just so inexcusable that Colgate changed this; infuriating).

Current nicknames: Billikens (St. Louis), Privateers (New Orleans), Vandals (Idaho), Banana Slugs (UCSB [or maybe UCSC, always forget]).
Whittier is still the Poets, if you miss that one.

Whittier is still the Poets, if you miss that one.

A good one.

Allegedly branding is important. Never understood why schools with a unique nickname would dump it and adopt the most generic names ever. Bard went from Poets to Raptors, Lehigh went from Engineers to Mountain Hawks, Colgate...ugh.

"Orange" isn't perfect, but it beats the heck out of those "Wolfpack" options SU was tossing around in the mid '90s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom