Favorite college team nicknames | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Favorite college team nicknames

A good one.

Allegedly branding is important. Never understood why schools with a unique nickname would dump it and adopt the most generic names ever. Bard went from Poets to Raptors, Lehigh went from Engineers to Mountain Hawks, Colgate...ugh.

"Orange" isn't perfect, but it beats the heck out of those "Wolfpack" options SU was tossing around in the mid '90s.
Personally, I think we need more Tigers, Bulldogs, Wildcats, and Eagles out there.

My school's conference has two Tigers and a Bulldogs, out of eight teams. We also have a Pirates, which is another unoriginal one, and a Crusaders, which is more common than you probably think. Then there's a Mountaineers, but fortunately we have the Gents, and we are the Kangaroos. We used to have a team in our conference with the nickname of "Stormy Petrels" which is one of the most unique you'll find.

I enjoy the hell out of the fact that we have a pretty unique nickname (one of only three schools in the country called the Kangaroos).

Personally, I think we need more Tigers, Bulldogs, Wildcats, and Eagles out there.

My school's conference has two Tigers and a Bulldogs, out of eight teams. We also have a Pirates, which is another unoriginal one, and a Crusaders, which is more common than you probably think. Then there's a Mountaineers, but fortunately we have the Gents, and we are the Kangaroos. We used to have a team in our conference with the nickname of "Stormy Petrels" which is one of the most unique you'll find.

I enjoy the hell out of the fact that we have a pretty unique nickname (one of only three schools in the country called the Kangaroos).

I like Kangaroos. More of that, please.

Well, they're technically the Dinosaurs, but they go by Dinos ...

524809_10151388900021943_940797376_n.png

And no, it's NOT pronounced "dee-nos" :eek:

Wow, so that's what it means. And I thought those girls were innocent and sweet! It took me a while to find it because it brings a lot of hits. If you add "yahoo answers" someone posted something.

Oddly enough this was a real story from last week. They were all kicked off the team when school admin caught wind

If you want a laugh YouTube Steel Panther. They wrote a song about it...

Wow, so that's what it means. And I thought those girls were innocent and sweet! It took me a while to find it because it brings a lot of hits. If you add "yahoo answers" someone posted something.

shocker-hand-gesture-wichita-state-1.jpg

Gotta love the enthusiasm for the team. I wonder if it gets flashed around at their keggers paired with an inquisitive look?

Last edited:
NKR1978 said:
Least favorites: Tigers (three in the SEC alone)

Holy crap, that never occurred to me. That's ridiculous I never noticed that before and ridiculous that there are three teams in a conference with the same nickname. And an awful one at that.

A good one.

Allegedly branding is important. Never understood why schools with a unique nickname would dump it and adopt the most generic names ever. Bard went from Poets to Raptors, Lehigh went from Engineers to Mountain Hawks, Colgate...ugh.

"Orange" isn't perfect, but it beats the heck out of those "Wolfpack" options SU was tossing around in the mid '90s.
orange is a great basketball color we could of been the orange abominable snow men though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom