Favorite vacation destination you've been to | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Favorite vacation destination you've been to

Barcelona! Spent a week there in winter. Less tourists. Locals more friendly and helpful. I'm a fanatical soccer fan so went to the Camp Nou and saw Messi. Great food and history!

I have been to Hawaii and the Bahamas, and they don't compare to the Cayman Islands. The best place on earth.

Interesting. My wife is pushing Hawaii next but I'm dreading the flight from the east coast. I'd prefer islands off the east.

I stopped by Caymans on a cruise but we only had a couple hours so we didn't get to do or see too much.

Interesting. My wife is pushing Hawaii next but I'm dreading the flight from the east coast. I'd prefer islands off the east.

I stopped by Caymans on a cruise but we only had a couple hours so we didn't get to do or see too much.

Hawaii (or any pacific island really) is a totally different feel than what you find in the Atlantic. It is worth the 10 hour flight from the east coast at least once in your life.

giphy.gif

Well, let's start off with the fact that I went to Hawaii with a woman I had known for at least 5 years. When we came back, we didn't speak for at least two years. So there is that. I enjoyed the Cayman's almost more than i can say. Everything was just great. Oh, and the plane trip to Hawaii sucks too. Oh, and we lost to Umass in the finals.

In continental US - Portland/Willamette Valley. Great combo of craft beer, good wine, cool hikes on the bluffs overlooking the Pacific. Oh, and hippies.

Outside of continental US - Italy (Rome, Florence, Pisa, Siena, Venice). Amazing trip. Unfortunately outside of Bahamas, day trip off a cruise in Cozumel, I don't have much more to compare it to yet.

You could break it up by stopping in SF or LA on the way there and back... We did that on our first trip...

Hawaii (or any pacific island really) is a totally different feel than what you find in the Atlantic. It is worth the 10 hour flight from the east coast at least once in your life.

giphy.gif
I lived for a few months on the North Shore and what you say is absolutely true.

So I know this isn't about politics but I'm tired of only having that on the OT board.

For me it would have to be Aruba. The island is small enough for you to traverse and see basically everything. The weather is around the same temperature all year long. The people are very friendly. It's a very laid back and peaceful place.
Fortunately my wife likes to travel to beach places so here are all the places we have been for at least a week's vacation and hopefully I am not forgetting any:
Aruba
Barbados-3 times
St Kitts and Nevis-5 times
St Barth's
St Maarten-twice
Anguilla
Antigua
Jamaica-twice
Mayan Riviera-three times
Cozumel
Dominican Republic
Costa Rica
Canary Islands
Bermuda
Rincon, Puerto Rico
Cayman Islands-next month first time

It's hard to pick a favorite but I would guess it would be either Costa Rica for being such a great and diverse country or St Barth's for having such amazing beaches. We were in Aruba with 16 close friends for a wedding but didn't like the island as much as other places mainly because of the commercialization and the desert appearance. Trust me that we still had a great time but we don't rave about it as many people do. We just didn't feel it was as green and colorful (and quiet) as other countries. Probably one of the reasons we have been to St Kitts and Nevis five times. It's somewhat quiet and a very beautiful country.

Fortunately my wife likes to travel to beach places so here are all the places we have been for at least a week's vacation and hopefully I am not forgetting any:
Aruba
Barbados-3 times
St Kitts and Nevis-5 times
St Barth's
St Maarten-twice
Anguilla
Antigua
Jamaica-twice
Mayan Riviera-three times
Cozumel
Dominican Republic
Costa Rica
Canary Islands
Bermuda
Rincon, Puerto Rico
Cayman Islands-next month first time

It's hard to pick a favorite but I would guess it would be either Costa Rica for being such a great and diverse country or St Barth's for having such amazing beaches. We were in Aruba with 16 close friends for a wedding but didn't like the island as much as other places mainly because of the commercialization and the desert appearance. Trust me that we still had a great time but we don't rave about it as many people do. We just didn't feel it was as green and colorful (and quiet) as other countries. Probably one of the reasons we have been to St Kitts and Nevis five times. It's somewhat quiet and a very beautiful country.
That's awesome. I get you on the Aruba thing. Where we stayed wasn't commercialized but you are right. The problem is most of the countries in the Caribbean are becoming like that, so it's hard to find a truly green tranquil place.

It's also possible that I hold Aruba in high regard because that's where I went on my honeymoon so there's that.

Been to a few islands in the Caribbean, been to Nassau, the Cayman's, and Jamaica. What is there to do besides sit on a beach and eat and do what you can do on every beach island? Do they have flowing lava to look at, or a 14'er with snow, that you can visit in the same day? Or go through 10 of the worlds 14 climate zones in approx 2 days. Have sea turtles come up on the sand next to you and hang out. Hawaii is true paradise, I wouldn't care if I ever went back to the Caribbean or anything in that region. No comparison. And yes I'm a little biased, but it's true I swear.

Been to a few islands in the Caribbean, been to Nassau, the Cayman's, and Jamaica. What is there to do besides sit on a beach and eat and do what you can do on every beach island? Do they have flowing lava to look at, or a 14'er with snow, that you can visit in the same day? Or go through 10 of the worlds 14 climate zones in approx 2 days. Have sea turtles come up on the sand next to you and hang out. Hawaii is true paradise, I wouldn't care if I ever went back to the Caribbean or anything in that region. No comparison. And yes I'm a little biased, but it's true I swear.
Right now the best thing about the Caribbean is that Jet Blue has direct flights to a bunch of locations from JFK in four hours. You watch two movies on their seat back TV's and you are there noon time. It so convenient to fly there. Places that Americans never went to are becoming very popular due to Jet Blue and cheap flights.

1. Sorrento, Italy
  2. Koblenz, Germany

That's awesome. I get you on the Aruba thing. Where we stayed wasn't commercialized but you are right. The problem is most of the countries in the Caribbean are becoming like that, so it's hard to find a truly green tranquil place.

It's also possible that I hold Aruba in high regard because that's where I went on my honeymoon so there's that.
First time we flew into Nevis from St Kitts in 1999 we were on a two seater plane. My wife had to fly in the back with the luggage. I sat up front with the pilot. We landed and they brought out a milk crate for us to step down on. Now they have a huge international airport there that can take huge jets.

Well, let's start off with the fact that I went to Hawaii with a woman I had known for at least 5 years. When we came back, we didn't speak for at least two years. So there is that. I enjoyed the Cayman's almost more than i can say. Everything was just great. Oh, and the plane trip to Hawaii sucks too. Oh, and we lost to Umass in the finals.

So are you saying I won't have to talk to my wife for 2 years after the trip?

Hawaii it is!

Corfu, Greece. Florence, Italy. Antigua and Barbados.

Corfu is a gem. I stayed there two days getting off the Brindisi to Patras boat.

Last edited:
Corfu is a gem. I stayed there two days getting off the Brindisi to Patros boat.

Isn't it? Easily my favorite spot in Europe or maybe the world, barring places I haven't been to yet. The island is gorgeous, the people are friendly, the food is fantastic, the daytime pace is perfect, the nightlife is on point. Beaches and water like this:
13-jpg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom