Favorite vacation destination you've been to | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Favorite vacation destination you've been to

Syria and Nicaragua

I had an amazing experience in Nicaragua, and I would go back anytime. One of the most powerful experiences I have ever had was walking through the remains of the old Roman Catholic Cathedral that was by the dead lake in Managua --a ruin of the 1979 earthquake that caused the death of Roberto Clemente as he tried to bring relief. It was a shell of a building with trees growing in it that were 60 feet high. Absolutely mind-blowing. I have heard that the remains have been razed.

I'll stay away from the political issues, only to say that one of my classmates in college was Somoza's nephew. He joined the Sandinistas and was part of the new government, but he was assassinated at the age of 23 because of his association with Somoza. If he had lived, I think Nicaragua might be a much healthier country today.

The countryside is gorgeous, with live, smoking volcanos, and rain forests. And unfortunately, with crippling poverty. The people were wonderful. Generous and capable of humbling hospitality.

Yup. That is the issue with the first visit to Hawaii...it is far; it is expensive and, because of that, you want to make sure you see it all...second time back is much more relaxing...

North shore. Princeville?

We stayed at the Hyatt...
Yup. We rented a house. It was lovely.

Been over a decade but probably have to go with Maui/Oahu. If you're gonna go to Hawaii in general it should be a long trip, the flight does suck, helps to not have to get back on a plane right away if going from the east coast. Enjoyed both islands immensely, very different experiences. Spent more time on hotel property in Oahu, but also enjoyed Waikiki, Lanikai is a great beach, north shore is fun and beautiful. Maui has more natural beauty and I found myself being more adventurous, cliff jumping off waterfalls along the road to Hana--I was intimidated by the ~35 foot fall with no lifeguards or professional presence around until I saw a mother and her young daughter do it together, then my ego kicked in and said I would be a giant wuss for not doing it, ironically my wife sustained a pretty painful injury doing it after me); biking down Haleakala after watching the sun rise at 10000 feet, to encountering a shark in person while snorkeling off Molokini. Parasailed courtesy of some odd German guy, had been referred via word of mouth as he didn't advertise his services because he supposedly went higher than is legally allowed. Fun but over with pretty quickly. Also some of the best seafood I've found anywhere. Odd thing I remember, on a couple occasions in two weeks we ate chain/fast food and I found the menus to be very different from the mainland versions of those same establishments.

Dark horse unmentioned in this thread--Catalina. Enjoyable visit to a place that was like its own little world, but don't need to do it for more than a few days. Never did find the wine mixer though.

Been over a decade but probably have to go with Maui/Oahu. If you're gonna go to Hawaii in general it should be a long trip, the flight does suck, helps to not have to get back on a plane right away if going from the east coast. Enjoyed both islands immensely, very different experiences. Spent more time on hotel property in Oahu, but also enjoyed Waikiki, Lanikai is a great beach, north shore is fun and beautiful. Maui has more natural beauty and I found myself being more adventurous, cliff jumping off waterfalls along the road to Hana--I was intimidated by the ~35 foot fall with no lifeguards or professional presence around until I saw a mother and her young daughter do it together, then my ego kicked in and said I would be a giant wuss for not doing it, ironically my wife sustained a pretty painful injury doing it after me); biking down Haleakala after watching the sun rise at 10000 feet, to encountering a shark in person while snorkeling off Molokini. Parasailed courtesy of some odd German guy, had been referred via word of mouth as he didn't advertise his services because he supposedly went higher than is legally allowed. Fun but over with pretty quickly. Also some of the best seafood I've found anywhere. Odd thing I remember, on a couple occasions in two weeks we ate chain/fast food and I found the menus to be very different from the mainland versions of those same establishments.

Dark horse unmentioned in this thread--Catalina. Enjoyable visit to a place that was like its own little world, but don't need to do it for more than a few days. Never did find the wine mixer though.

New Zealand, specifically Queenstown. Incredibly beautiful and fun. Just wish it wasn't so far away.

Also, seconding Amsterdam. Loved the beer, weed, food, people, scenery, art...all of it.

I'll put in a vote for Queenstown as well. The scenery was incredible. Felt like I stepped into a Lord of the Rings movie(it was filmed in the area). Would definitely go back again if not for the 18 hours or so of flight time from New York.

Isn't Corfu where Darien Lake is?
Fun Country!

Also Hawaii Big Island is awesome.

New Orleans is amazing at Jazz Fest.

Anywhere in the Alps. Swiss best.

Old Quebec at Carnival.

Last edited:
And this is out of left field and makes no sense to many I'm sure, but I'd go to Disney every year if I could. Clean, safe, fun, great restaurants, always something different to do while still redoing stuff you love to do, the staff that goes out of their way consistently to take care of you, love the magic kindom.

I got married at Disney and am not ashamed to admit it. My wife and I love the place. We try to go every year if we can. Also, if you are a runner, they have some great marathons and half marathons there. I recommend entering a race if you are into long distance running.

Hogwarts, Orlando FL
That is a real neat place. My little guy isn't into Star Wars (yet) but I'm selfishly hoping he will be so we can check out the Star Wars land once it's complete at Disney lol.

honeymooned in New Zealand for almost a month. The whole country is amazing but the south island wins out...Queenstown as mentioned, skydiving with Mt Cook, a glacier, blue waters and green pasture filled with sheep all below, and an overnight cruise on the Milford Sound were incredible

Italy ( Rome, Sicily, Amalfi Coast)
Maui
Orlando
St Maarten
Liverpool Eng
London

That's one reason I like it. Has 2 "sides". Also like a couple of the beach bar/restaurants.

And their "beachside airport" is really cool. :)

been there , snorkeled on that beach.

Hawaii is true paradise, I wouldn't care if I ever went back to the Caribbean or anything in that region. No comparison. And yes I'm a little biased, but it's true I swear.

Depends on where you go in the Caribbean. There are places of the beaten path that compare favorably with Hawaii. If we were just talking about the places the cruise ships stop I would absolutely agree with you.

honeymooned in New Zealand for almost a month. The whole country is amazing but the south island wins out...Queenstown as mentioned, skydiving with Mt Cook, a glacier, blue waters and green pasture filled with sheep all below, and an overnight cruise on the Milford Sound were incredible

New Zealand is on my list but I am a bit put off by the 18 hour flight. What would you say is the minimum time to stay to make those flights worth it?

New Zealand is on my list but I am a bit put off by the 18 hour flight. What would you say is the minimum time to stay to make those flights worth it?

I was there for a week. Seemed like a good amount of time. I also tried to break up the flight time a little. Spent a few days in Southern California first. Only a 12 hour flight from there. Still long but better than doing 18 hours in one day.

South island is on my bucket list. Specifically because it has some of the worlds biggest brown trout and in gin clear water, and their landscape is crazy beautiful. That flight though..

Destin, FL

images

Anagada and Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands. Hawaii overrated, better waterfalls in Ithaca NY, Been to most European countries, certainly the history and architecture are grand but half dislike Americans enough to be noticeable and it only makes me appreciate this country all the more and want to get home.

And this is out of left field and makes no sense to many I'm sure, but I'd go to Disney every year if I could. Clean, safe, fun, great restaurants, always something different to do while still redoing stuff you love to do, the staff that goes out of their way consistently to take care of you, love the magic kindom.
We went to Disney almost every year for about 10 years, great family vacation. Wonder if you ever drove the Road to Hana in Maui, some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever laid eyes on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom