FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

Didn't the 10k threshold start as part of the war on drugs and the money laundering. I thought it was basically the result of chasing the Escobar/Medellin and the Cali cartel?
Affirmative.
The "Roaring 80's" cocaine epidemic & massive bonuses for Wall Street were a match made in heaven/hell. That montage in Scarface where Tony Montana and his crew are carrying bags of money to deposit...yeah, that was mostly true!
I worked on Broad Street in those days & we used to call Wall Street guys "snifflers", cause of the constant, ahem, "colds" & dripping noses they all seemed to have. Wild times.;) :cool:

Last edited:
Another interesting question is what happens to '18 and '19 recruits that were promised cash but didn't receive it. Now they're looking at a different set of college choices -- a list with NO CASH. On the one hand, that could help us. On the other hand, although they probably didn't commit a crime, would we still want them on our team? Interesting new ROE's in place post-scandal.
Based on what the DA said during his press conference, he seemed to paint the players/families more as "victims" as opposed to wrong doing - now, they absolutely broke the law (tax evasion, etc) but other than being ruled ineligible, who knows what will happen to them. I would tend to think that as long as no money exchanged hands for those 2018 or 2019 kids, they should be fine. I don't think it's a problem to go after them at that point. Plus, we didn't give them money.

Hard to imagine any kid wanting to go to Arizona, Louisville, Miami, etc. anytime soon though...

The easiest question to answer is the implicated players - it seems fairly obvious they will be ruled ineligible - Bowen, Quinerly, Lonnie Walker (?). As far as the rest of your questions, way too early to tell. It is safe to say that Pitino (and Jurdich I assume) is gone though.
Gary Parrish feels the same way...toast

Exactly. I won't name names. But this validates our concerns the past few years about kids we've had a great relationship with, only to have them mysteriously veer off course late in the recruiting cycle towards certain schools with no prior involvment.
100% agree

More than a few years. When I worked in banking in the late 80's-early 90's, this law was in effect. Indeed, banks look for patterns of any transactions consistently under $10k, both in-bound and out-bound, and will flag accounts to the FBI/SService if they think something's fishy.

Yep. It’s Mandated by the government through AML and the Patriot Act. I’m also supposed to report any unusual client activity. Foreign transactions get even more scrutiny.

upload_2017-9-26_20-0-34.jpeg

What we could see happening is the FBI offering deals to these 10 already mentioned to give more names - which they comply with - and that is the scary snowball. There is almost no chance this stops at 10. Especially if people start talking to lessen any possible sentence they

Yea. I'm just not sure what the end game of the criminal piece really is. There's obvious bad conduct and obviously some illegal conduct but I'm not sure those two categories fully overlap.

Writing a check to a teenager to go to a particular college is not self-evidently a crime. To make it into one, at least so far, the government has alleged that the payment defrauded the school that the player ended up. This may be right but is at least a little counterintuitive and, imo, the fact that this is the lead theory (so far!) is suggestive that this isn't going to be a slam dunk prosecution.

He'll never get to V1 against you.
Negative ghostrider...he is Sierra Hotel Driver and will get to Angels 31 by PFM

(No my friend, AZOrange is a schlit hot pilot and will climb in elevation to 31 thousand feet above sea level by Pure Friggin Magic)

Can't write what should be used in place of friggin.

Last edited:
Yea. I'm just not sure what the end game of the criminal piece really is. There's obvious bad conduct and obviously some illegal conduct but I'm not sure those two categories fully overlap.

Writing a check to a teenager to go to a particular college is not self-evidently a crime. To make it into one, at least so far, the government has alleged that the payment defrauded the school that the player ended up. This may be right but is at least a little counterintuitive and, imo, the fact that this is the lead theory (so far!) is suggestive that this isn't going to be a slam dunk prosecution.
I'd like to review the complaints again (has anyone seen any but the Chuck Person complaint??) but I thought the working theory was they were essentially agents of the government (via institution taking federal funds) and used their position at the university for ill gotten gains? I thought they were charged under 18 USC 666, right?

Where's Texas in this? Weren't they just accused of paying a top 10 recruit?

Isn't Adidas a public stock company? I think they are w/o looking it up.

If so this could get real messy for them and the feds will be chasing down every penny and how it was given away.NCAA is way out of their league on this and how Adidas will be investigated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom