FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 68 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

It's really quite a shame that Jerry Tarkanian is no longer with us. His roster next year would be filled with 5-star cast-offs (well, assuming he himself was not caught in this net).

It would be glorious to behold.
I just read Tark's memoir (Runnin' Rebel) this week. Great read.

What? that's not how I remember the story being told. I thought it was Boeheim that had to do the convincing. Where is Davis getting his facts from I wonder

"Pitino’s obvious ability, combined with the network of contacts he developed while coming up through the New York City hoops scene, earned him a job interview with Jim Boeheim, the newly-hired head coach at Syracuse. The interview took place in a hotel lobby on Pitino’s wedding night. While his new bride cooled her heels in their room upstairs, Pitino convinced Boeheim to hire him, and then he called off his honeymoon so he could head to Cincinnati to recruit a guard named Louis Orr. (Orr, of course, eventually signed with Syracuse, sending Boeheim onto his own Hall of Fame career.)"
That is not how Boeheim tells the story!

I was thinking about Bama basketball and how they and Oregon might get caught up in this. I mean, how the hell did Avery Johnson, who had ZERO head coaching experience (though a successful NBA career), suddenly start scoring top 20 guys like Colin s e xton and beating out the likes of Kansas and HOFer Bill Self? Just doesn't make sense.

I'm pretty sure Avery won Coach of the Year in the NBA.

That doesn't really make sense to me. Boeheim showed up to the lobby after Pitino's wedding and said I'm here so you can convince me to hire you. What?
OK, here's how I remember Boeheim telling the story. He wanted to hire Pitino and called him, apparently on his wedding night. Pitino took the call and Boeheim convinced him to come work for him. Boeheim was the pursuer, not the pursued. Boeheim tells it in a funny way, too.

I am pretty certain he feels a lot of sympathy for his friend. He is very loyal.

OK, here's how I remember Boeheim telling the story. He wanted to hire Pitino and called him, apparently on his wedding night. Pitino took the call and Boeheim convinced him to come work for him. Boeheim was the pursuer, not the pursued. Boeheim tells it in a funny way, too.

I am pretty certain he feels a lot of sympathy for his friend. He is very loyal.
Yes Boeheim always says I refused to leave the lobby until he agreed to not go on his honeymoon. He was definitely the person pursuing. I'm sure he does. I don't have any inside information but I believe Jim and Juli and Pitino's wife are close and when the whole italian restaurant thing happened that really put a strain on their relationship. I remember when Boeheim was being attached after our sanctions Coach K and Pitino were two of the people publicly defending Boeheim.

00010.jpg

If you're being thruthful, then cool. However, it really irrks me when people come on here and say things like "I can tell you with certainty" when you know very well you can't. You even say so yourself with "I would be floored if they took a bag of cash". Okay, on one hand you are absolutely certain and then a couple thoughts later and you would be floored if it happened? Makes sense.
Yeah poor wording. Of course I can't say w certainty... But I knew the family very well before and after college and if they had cash they must have buried it in the back yard. He told me after the fact that he was always going UK. Not sure if true but that came from Nerlens himself.

He can't be serious,from the Cards board. He thinks NIKE planted the mole

"and entrapped Louisville assistant coaches in Vegas. 100s of Billions are at stake here. NIke is a $30B company This is not a small game.

Nike has inside with FBI and knew the investigation going on. They used their handlers and connections to push Bowen to Louisville, and entrapped Louisville assistants with their plan in the last phases of the investigation, that was not even remotely about Louisville.

Nike devised the plan to help sink both Louisville and Adidas, when they were spurned by Louisville in apparel contracts. Adidas had a rising profile among the college apparel industry and making strides to threaten Nike market share and $100 million stake. Nike had the opportunity to sink the largest Adidas contract in college sports, along with Adidas, their largest competitor."
Paranoid much? Perhaps a few weeks on a good psych ward would be helpful.

Paranoid much? Perhaps a few weeks on a good psych ward would be helpful.
And the thing about entrapment is that someone still did something wrong ... albeit they were setup to make that illegal choice as palatable as possible. So, yeah, entrapment is noone's friend but ethical decision making defeats it every time.

"Baker, a Tuscaloosa native, also previously worked with the NCAA as assistant director of enforcement. His job included processing information in cases of amateurism violations. "

Alabama basketball staffer resigns as internal investigation of program begins

It gets messier and messier.
There's probably alot of overlap between people at the rule-breaking schools and the NCAA people who are supposed to enforce the rules. Corruption, infiltration, pay-offs, you name it. The NCAA is essentially a criminal organization at this point. Maybe the FBI breaks it up via RICO.