FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 70 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

One observation that I have meaning to make. While we are cheering the demise of certain programs, we have to remember that there are probably a number of players on those teams that did not get money. I am going to guess that maybe half of them, who will be good college players, but will never be NBA worthy are not offered these "deals". It is important that we think of those true student athletes in all of this, and I for one, have to feel very sorry for them. Their young lives will be turned upside down. This is why I am not going to wish the death penalty on any program.

The more I hear from former players, the more I'm doubting this. Alone, I have read comments of Division III players getting payments, low star players getting payments and now players getting payments just so schools get on their top 5-10 list.

The more I hear from former players, the more I'm doubting this. Alone, I have read comments of Division III players getting payments, low star players getting payments and now players getting payments just so schools get on their top 5-10 list.
I had D-3 kids working for me and they received gifts that would probably be deemed as impermissible. Not cash, but tickets and other items that might be an issue.

Our review has not identified any NCAA or SEC rules violations nor the involvement of any other coach or staff member. We have notified both of the governing bodies of the actions we have taken. As always, we will continue to be proactive in our compliance efforts."

What? How could a compliance officer taking bribes not be an NCAA or SEC violation?
Alabama: "This sounds like a you problem, not a me problem. Please stay away from our football program."

Is handing out under-the-table payments to D3 athletes akin to a little kid dressing up like his/her parent?

yeah I think most p5 schools will def stay away but could see midmajors roll the dice
Just to play devil's advocate for a minute - how much risk is there to take one of these kids, really?

As of right now, there's no allegations of misconduct against them. If you bring them on, and it turns out they'd received money from Louisville, are you really going to get in trouble? Sure, they could eventually be ruled ineligible, and you could have wasted a scholarship, but they'd be ineligible because of behavior with a different institution.

I can understand the NCAA being irked if you tried to bring in someone who you know to have eligibility issues. Like, I can understand shying away from Quinnerly if he decommitted, since it seems likely he's going to have some explaining to do (at a minimum). Specifically for us, given that we're reaching the end of NCAA penalties, I can totally understand Syracuse not wanting to poke the bear by bringing on anyone with a probable link to this investigation. But as of right now, there's nothing tying people like Courtney Ramey and Anfernee Simons to it.

I understand that the NCAA is not the most logical or consistent institution in the world when it comes to penalties, but punishing School A due to violations a player had with School B strikes me as insane, even for them.

i went back and read some of the transcripts. Anyone know how many players are involved? I didn't see anything past a "player 12"

7.jpg

Just to play devil's advocate for a minute - how much risk is there to take one of these kids, really?

As of right now, there's no allegations of misconduct against them. If you bring them on, and it turns out they'd received money from Louisville, are you really going to get in trouble? Sure, they could eventually be ruled ineligible, and you could have wasted a scholarship, but they'd be ineligible because of behavior with a different institution.

I can understand the NCAA being irked if you tried to bring in someone who you know to have eligibility issues. Like, I can understand shying away from Quinnerly if he decommitted, since it seems likely he's going to have some explaining to do (at a minimum). Specifically for us, given that we're reaching the end of NCAA penalties, I can totally understand Syracuse not wanting to poke the bear by bringing on anyone with a probable link to this investigation. But as of right now, there's nothing tying people like Courtney Ramey and Anfernee Simons to it.

I understand that the NCAA is not the most logical or consistent institution in the world when it comes to penalties, but punishing School A due to violations a player had with School B strikes me as insane, even for them.
I think it's more the optics of the situation. Since we're still finishing up our ridiculous sanctions, it may not look great if we add a kid directly after being swept up in the largest college hoops scandal maybe ever, even if they are ultimately clean and proven clean.

I wouldn't have an issue if a kid is cleared and there's no obvious link or even an inclination they may be involved, but understand why we may not want to get involved at this time.

Plus, we're getting pretty full. I assume we're feeling good about Carey committing now and still need a big man.

I had D-3 kids working for me and they received gifts that would probably be deemed as impermissible. Not cash, but tickets and other items that might be an issue.
When I committed to play at a D3 school we told my recruiting coach at the time that I wanted to go there however it was just to much money. Bam not 3 hours later he called me to let me know that I was awarded a additional $6,000 academic grant. I ended up going there. It happens just in different ways.

I think it's more the optics of the situation. Since we're still finishing up our ridiculous sanctions, it may not look great if we add a kid directly after being swept up in the largest college hoops scandal maybe ever, even if they are ultimately clean and proven clean.

I wouldn't have an issue if a kid is cleared and there's no obvious link or even an inclination they may be involved, but understand why we may not want to get involved at this time.

Plus, we're getting pretty full. I assume we're feeling good about Carey committing now and still need a big man.
Yeah, I get that our class is almost full and that they don't really fill a need, assuming we get Carey. The OP I was responding to suggested that P5 schools would probably avoid them, which I thought was unlikely given that (as of right now) there's no suggestion of wrongdoing, and that if it were proven later I can't imagine that the NCAA would punish the new school, provided they didn't know about it at the time of the commitment.