FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

Holy crap. Just when I was starting to get irrational (because I'm highly intoxicated), I watch that video with Dicky V pouring out his heart; I'm good now. I'm just full of kittens and butterfly's. Good evening...

Ok after reading the last fourteen pages I think it is time for bed. This thread is like crack, I can't wait to wake up and start reading first thing in the morning lol.

main-qimg-097f1d0696821facb028373961f02742-c

One observation that I have meaning to make. While we are cheering the demise of certain programs, we have to remember that there are probably a number of players on those teams that did not get money. I am going to guess that maybe half of them, who will be good college players, but will never be NBA worthy are not offered these "deals". It is important that we think of those true student athletes in all of this, and I for one, have to feel very sorry for them. Their young lives will be turned upside down. This is why I am not going to wish the death penalty on any program.

One observation that I have meaning to make. While we are cheering the demise of certain programs, we have to remember that there are probably a number of players on those teams that did not get money. I am going to guess that maybe half of them, who will be good college players, but will never be NBA worthy are not offered these "deals". It is important that we think of those true student athletes in all of this, and I for one, have to feel very sorry for them. Their young lives will be turned upside down. This is why I am not going to wish the death penalty on any program.
Agree 101%

Holy crap. Just when I was starting to get irrational (because I'm highly intoxicated), I watch that video with Dicky V pouring out his heart; I'm good now. I'm just full of kittens and butterfly's. Good evening...

Oh good, you shouldn't drink on an empty stomach.

That only took an hour. Was hoping for more coaches to go down. Always tomorrow. I'm sure I'll get up, and have another good hour or more of reading to do.

Remember when people were dumping all over the staff for not having visited Quinerly's school? Maybe there was a reason they gave up on him.

Reading the affidavit -- it's not really clear the timing of all this -- but it really sounded to me like Book was already paying Quinerly before the kid had even committed.

That got me thinking and I did a little digging -- a guy I talked to tonight said it's not uncommon now for kids to have 'buy-ins' just to make their top X list.

Can you imagine if you're a coach and you give a kid $50k before he's committed, and all you get out of it is an Instagram post with a picture of the kid, your school's logo, and giant text that says Top 5 listed at the top???

In these cases - it's literally an announcement of who is willing to pay.

Mason

Reading the affidavit -- it's not really clear the timing of all this -- but it really sounded to me like Book was already paying Quinerly before the kid had even committed.

That got me thinking and I did a little digging -- a guy I talked to tonight said it's not uncommon now for kids to have 'buy-ins' just to make their top X list.

Can you imagine if you're a coach and you give a kid $50k before he's committed, and all you get out of it is an Instagram post with a picture of the kid, your school's logo, and giant text that says Top 5 listed at the top???

Mason
So that's how Seton Hall is doing it.

Mason
Didn't I read that Quinerly was getting paid in May and committed on August 8?

Perhaps not for all programs, but there is at least one where a flagrant pattern of shameless rule breaking on a grand scale probably warrants it. And maybe more than just one.

While there may be a few that are truly just there for the love of the game and academics in P5 conferences , your 50% approximation is likely closer to 10%. Guys come out of nowhere and make the NBA and the monetary rewards far outweigh the risk of paying a player that never makes it. It’s not just sneaker companies wrapped in all this. Agents and Financial Advisors don’t care where you play, Europe or NBA, because they still make money. It’s likely not as much as the upper echelon of the team.

Not to mention the other innocents, such as the restaurants, bars, vendors, maintenance, etc. around the arena(s), campus(es) and/or cities...A death penalty would devastate those businesses, employees, etc.

More on the Alabama fiasco. Alabama staffer admitted he was one of the names mentioned in the FBI report and it sounds like it had to do with Collin s e xton recruitment.
Alabama basketball staffer Kobie Baker's resignation related to FBI investigation

Our review has not identified any NCAA or SEC rules violations nor the involvement of any other coach or staff member. We have notified both of the governing bodies of the actions we have taken. As always, we will continue to be proactive in our compliance efforts."

What? How could a compliance officer taking bribes not be an NCAA or SEC violation?

In the old, pre civil war days circa early 1800s, slave owners used to brand their slaves with a hot iron. Nowadays, the "owners" brand them with sneakers and gear.