FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 71 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

When I committed to play at a D3 school we told my recruiting coach at the time that I wanted to go there however it was just to much money. Bam not 3 hours later he called me to let me know that I was awarded a additional $6,000 academic grant. I ended up going there. It happens just in different ways.

But at least the grants are above board. Those grants are reported to both the NCAA and federal filings.

I have a good friend who's son plays at HBU. Each year, they've found more scholarship money for him and that's without my friend or the player asking for it.

It will hurt them in the US Market. But they are not a sinking ship. They are a huge in the Europe market / soccer market. Similar to coaches having the assistants take the fall, I doubt any at the highest corporate offices in Germany take a fall here. Just some rogue Americans.

Agreed. See VW emissions scandal. The rich get richer and the poor get drunk.

1wowth.jpg

As I said in my other post he is going to jail unless he can provide bigger fish.
Not necessarily...USAOs, in general, don't love going to trial, therefore he would likely agree to a plea of some sort, in which case he would agree to a sentencing structure. if he does go to trial and is convicted, he would be subject to federal sentencing guidelines which include many factors (previous convictions/criminal history is big here). If i had to guess i would say if convicted or agrees to plea deal, he will likely get probation/supervised release.

United States Federal Sentencing Guidelines - Wikipedia

Great article that is more in-depth concerning Marty Blazer's history and involvement than I've seen previously. This actually started with the UNC Football scandal:

The inside story of how the FBI rocked college basketball
Real good read here.
Now if any of the parents who were getting paid were collecting Welfare and other Social Services and didn't report that will be in much bigger trouble here. I am sure these agents were going after families who needed the money the most first as they most likely are easy targets.

I'm curious how you all think this will impact the case against UNC? I think it could go one of two ways...
1. It could mean things get slid under the rug and put on the back burner because there is a much larger scandal going on... OR
2. The NCAA is going to want to flex it's muscles, and the scandal makes the NCAA come down harder on UNC.

Thoughts?
I think UNC gets slammed - except for their hoop team which gets left out of all findings and rulings.

Thank you for spelling rogue correctly.

Why would I call it a rouge -- that is name of the brilliant play that awards a single point in the CFL.

This guys really in tune with the AAU circuit.

A lot of people are missing the point here - the FBI wasn't targeting specific universities to investigate, it was just following the trail of dealings associated with Blazer. Maybe it ends when they think that trail is dried up? I'm not sure that they're going to up and say "hey, let's just start randomly investigating other programs", I'd assume that they're just going to go after what the evidence they uncover points towards.

But of course I've never run a federal investigation, so I could be waaaay off base here. Maybe they do care?

Where it leads may be dependent on who they talk to and what they have to say.

If the feds want to play the talk and we'll adjust the charges against you game.

A lot of people are missing the point here - the FBI wasn't targeting specific universities to investigate, it was just following the trail of dealings associated with Blazer. Maybe it ends when they think that trail is dried up? I'm not sure that they're going to up and say "hey, let's just start randomly investigating other programs", I'd assume that they're just going to go after what the evidence they uncover points towards.

But of course I've never run a federal investigation, so I could be waaaay off base here. Maybe they do care?
If they are unsure which way to go the NCAA can give them direction. :rolleyes: