Feel bad for the fifth year transfers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Feel bad for the fifth year transfers

Please give me your thoughts on our record without them. Thanks!

Honestly? 15 or 16 games.

This was a stupid experiment. White is a scorer who never played defense (otherwise he'd of played at Kansas).

Gillon is an undersized point guard who is too short to play for us. Howard would of done just as well given the same opportunity.

This was a stupid experiment. White is a scorer who never played defense (otherwise he'd of played at Kansas).

Gillon is an undersized point guard who is too short to play for us. Howard would of done just as well given the same opportunity.
I completely disagree, White's defense improved immensely as the year went on. White's shooting singlehandedly kept us in some games. The point is, we do not even sniff the bubble without them.

(That still sounds dirty)

I completely disagree, White's defense improved immensely as the year went on. White's shooting singlehandedly kept us in some games. The point is, we do not even sniff the bubble without them.

(That still sounds dirty)

Okay. Then let's win the NIT

That is the fairest question ever asked. How fair? I just asked a local journalist the same exact question. Plus throw in why Gillon wasn't the starting pt guard from jump street. didn't fall practice tell you everything you needed to see?
The player evaluation skills we have going right now are pretty bad. That said, that squad probably looked great against our defense

What gave us a chance was our 5 game winning streak. White had 27, 24, 28, 23, 23, then won us the Gtech game with 40.

You don't have a bleeping clue. Just stop.

Okay. Then let's win the NIT
Woah woah woah. That's not comparable and you know it. What happens in the NIT has no bearing on what the two 5th year seniors meant to us this year. Playing in the NIT is a crapshoot, sometimes guys just can't get excited for it. What a silly response.

He just missed what happened when Howard was starting and playing minutes...

Howard did not play well. I concede that.

But neither of them played well, or good, or average, or acceptable really, when they were splitting time equally. Both of them looking over their shoulders resulted in some truly terrible basketball.

We know that once Gillon was given the primary role, that he became a very different player although I still think his defense was one of the worst I can recall from a guard at SU, even Devo...

Would that have been different for Howard if he had been given the opportunity to play through mistakes. I think many say no, but who really knows what might have been.

And now we are back in the search for a PG.

We will never be good again until we square this away. Without a top notch PG, we will be average at best for the foreseeable future.

Howard is not a good basketball player.

Here's to the junior year jump

giphy.gif

Experiment? It was desperation. We barely could have fielded a starting 5 without the transfers.

One can argue that this was the worst SU team in decades. 18-14 is pretty damning. But White and Gillon, for all of their flaws, were why we're debating the team being on the bubble, as opposed to having been a 20+ loss team.

This team was sunk by the returning players, not by the transfers.

I am glad we got White. Once he switched to three and learned the D we weren't a bad team. Battle getting a bad case of the flu when he did was bad timing. My point was four extra weeks of White being here before classes may have helped a little. This team wins 5 or 6 games less without White. We had better hope we get another pair of 5th years next season. Hopkins and Red need to really earn their pay checks this spring and summer.

Feel bad for White. Won't say anything else.

Thanks to Coleman, and Robey for battling. Wish they had another shot.

Let's win the NIT. Not sure the motivation will be there, though. Especially from our CSU kid.

Well, fall practice let JB to say that this team "had everything" and was one of his best ever. So, I'm not sure what the staff was seeing.

Maybe the offense wasn't stagnant against the sieve-like defense they faced in practice?

I get the feeling the coaches didn't attend practice very much then. :) These eyes watching practice may be why we're ending up with so many spotty recruits!!! lol

I feel really bad for AW3, Gillon, eh, love the kid, will treasure some of his big games/shots (more in the second half of this year than some 3-4 years starters managed in a career), but my god - kid had so many games where he seemed listless for an entire half at a time for me to be too sad.

Woah woah woah. That's not comparable and you know it. What happens in the NIT has no bearing on what the two 5th year seniors meant to us this year. Playing in the NIT is a crapshoot, sometimes guys just can't get excited for it. What a silly response.

Okay. I do know it.

Then they should of come out and played on Wednesday like the tournament mattered and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

This team, while wildly talented, is wildly inconsistent. They deserve what they got.

In 1995 everyone wanted Lazarus Sims to transfer.

In 1996 we had no option.

I see a lot of Sims in Howard.

I'm lost. Sims was an excellent passer who had no offense. I don't remember anyone clamoring for him to transfer. He developed a semblance of a jumper in '96 and the rest was history.

Howard isn't in Z's stratosphere as a passer.

...Who came here to experience the NCAA tournament.

Sucks that we got off to such a poor start. Really odd team / season.
It sucks for gillon and white because I'm sure the staff sold them on the possibility of winning and winning big time. When it comes to post-season appearances we're just not reliable. Can't see Keene or any other top picks wanting to come here and spend half their tenure relearning how to play a quirky defense that, quite frankly, has offered zero advantages since we switched conferences.

It sucks for gillon and white because I'm sure the staff sold them on the possibility of winning and winning big time. When it comes to post-season appearances we're just not reliable. Can't see Keene or any other top picks wanting to come here and spend half their tenure relearning how to play a quirky defense that, quite frankly, has offered zero advantages since we switched conferences.
It's up to the players to get in. Gillon looked at the roster, and thought that if he came here, he'd help us get there. I guarantee that Gillon does not blame the staff for this. Players will most likely blame themselves because they didn't play well enough to get in.

Don't get the Keene love - he is a volume scorer who is just as small as Gillon. He shoots 30 times a game and has below average shot selection.

The defense has been fine. It wasn't good this year because the personnel wasn't good, it has NOTHING to do with the conference switch. The defense was good the last 3 years. It wasn't good this year because we had 4 new guys starting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom