Feel bad for the fifth year transfers | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Feel bad for the fifth year transfers

In 1995 everyone wanted Lazarus Sims to transfer.

In 1996 we had no option.

I see a lot of Sims in Howard.

How does Z Sims have anything to do with Howard?

In two years, Howard has not shown any ability to play PG even remotely well at this level. I thought his shot was better this year, but was still pretty poor. He makes poor decisions with the ball, has a very weak dribble and is a bad passer. He isn't a good finisher either. Maybe he could become a good defender, but I've seen nothing to convince me he should play more than spot minutes for us. And his attitude has apparently been a big issue.

I feel bad for everyone, JB included! I don't feel any worse for 5th year transfers. They got bonus basketball!

Personally I felt absolutely terrible today, I felt so bad for myself! Hungover, heartburn & finally heartache at 5:30.

I feel worse for Coleman and Roberson.

Roberson made his own bed, I feel bad for Gillon and White, they came here for a chance to get to the tournament and it didn't happen.

First team out...what are the odds, especially with some of the teams that got in. Yeah we can blame the team for not getting 1 more win anywhere, for an assured ticket, but even so there is plenty of empirical data that supports their inclusion, and I expect even more to pour in today,

I may wish he transfers had a better exit, but I'm holding on to the fact theat there is a chance they will still play emotionally trying to take this far more likely title belt.

Cuse is tean #69, That used to be a lucky number for me! ...as it symbolizes infinity. The NCAA put effort into sliding us down, although it didnt take much to make it work, apparently. Still I guess at least e have lucky #69 for the upcoming tournament. That elevates me a bit.

How does Z Sims have anything to do with Howard?

In two years, Howard has not shown any ability to play PG even remotely well at this level. I thought his shot was better this year, but was still pretty poor. He makes poor decisions with the ball, has a very weak dribble and is a bad passer. He isn't a good finisher either. Maybe he could become a good defender, but I've seen nothing to convince me he should play more than spot minutes for us. And his attitude has apparently been a big issue.

Sims was a trainwreck real early in his career but I see no other similarities.

If Howard is the only option, I think we'd see a different player by January. He showed signs at the end of last season, his shot has also improved.

I think his confidence and nerves are shot. I'm not sure what kind of magic they can find in a 5th year PG but I hope they are looking.

How is it possible we have no PG in this class or next year's class?

Cuse is tean #69, That used to be a lucky number for me! ...as it symbolizes infinity. The NCAA put effort into sliding us down, although it didnt take much to make it work, apparently. Still I guess at least e have lucky #69 for the upcoming tournament. That elevates me a bit.
When move towards the cut line of the bubble, the committee is looking for a reason to keep you out, not put you in. If you give them things to use against you, they will. I think they looked at us, Wake, KState, USC and Providence and said "which one of these teams has the biggest holes in their resume?" - as opposed to asking "which one of these teams has the best reason to put them in?"

I know it's been your thing to bash Gillon all year - and he has had games when he hasn't played well. But our winning season streak would be over without him, and if you really think Howard compares to Sims, that says very little about your talent evaluation skills. Probably those same skills that resulted in your memorable 0-18 post. Even before his senior year, Sims showed more vision than Howard could even come close to.

I would be willing to bet that they both would never admit it publicly, but wished they chose to go elsewhere. White in particular must be kicking himself. He might have made Miami a top 10 team

You see a good teammate? You see someone who helps create good chemistry? You see someone with the potential to be a good leader? You see someone who makes good decisions?

If Gillon played more consistently, he's in the tournament this year.

White is the only one I feel bad for because outside of a couple games where the D locked in on him or had a bad shooting night, he was the reason SU won or stayed in games.

White is the only one I feel bad for because outside of a couple games where the D locked in on him or had a bad shooting night, he was the reason SU won or stayed in games.
Gillon got the absolute most out of his God-given ability and single-handedly won at least two games. To fault him for "inconsistency" and refuse to feel empathy for him is freakin' ridiculous.

Gillon got the absolute most out of his God-given ability and single-handedly won at least two games. To fault him for "inconsistency" and refuse to feel empathy for him is freakin' ridiculous.

Poor point guard play was a factor that doomed this year's team. God-given ability doesn't just mean athleticism. It has to do with playing smarter and being the floor general the team needs. He and Frank weren't that in more than a handful of games this year.

You see a good teammate? You see someone who helps create good chemistry? You see someone with the potential to be a good leader? You see someone who makes good decisions?
I agree. Great point guards have natural leadership qualities. They don't have to change their natural instincts in order to become a point guard. Mike Gbinije may have not been a natural point guard, but he did have leadership qualities. Point guard is about more than just being able to dribble and pass. Whether a freshman or a senior, the point guard has to be a leader, and that is not Frank Howard.

I agree. Great point guards have natural leadership qualities. They don't have to change their natural instincts in order to become a point guard. Mike Gbinije may have not been a natural point guard, but he did have leadership qualities. Point guard is about more than just being able to dribble and pass. Whether a freshman or a senior, the point guard has to be a leader, and that is not Frank Howard.

I was referring to off the court just as much as on it.

Poor point guard play was a factor that doomed this year's team. God-given ability doesn't just mean athleticism. It has to do with playing smarter and being the floor general the team needs. He and Frank weren't that in more than a handful of games this year.
Gillon isn't a natural point guard. He's a shooting/scoring guard in a undersized point's body. He had to play the 1 because we had no one else after Howard didn't improve and had a bad attitude.

Reminded me of when GMac was forced to play PG because of the fact that we had no one else capable of playing the 1 at a high level and his play suffered. Sometimes history repeats itself.

I would be willing to bet that they both would never admit it publicly, but wished they chose to go elsewhere. White in particular must be kicking himself. He might have made Miami a top 10 team

And spent the year in Miami. Seriously, that was a really bad choice.

I've never understood how some "fans" root for some kids over others, or some to fail on the team that others might succeed.

Good freaking lord.

Gillon was far from perfect. And he was inconsistent. He also won us some games, both in terms of hitting game winning shots and from being money at the line. The team took off after a disastrous start after Gillon got inserted into the starting lineup.

But yeah--blame him for the team not being in the tournament this year. :crazy:

Honestly? 15 or 16 games.

This was a stupid experiment. White is a scorer who never played defense (otherwise he'd of played at Kansas).

Gillon is an undersized point guard who is too short to play for us. Howard would of done just as well given the same opportunity.

Ridiculous, and shows the bias you have for Howard.

Howard was given every opportunity--to be a starter, to be a lead guard, and to be a leader. He squandered every opportunity. The team got off to a disastrous start with him at the helm.

And it is no coincidence that a team that seemed to go through the motions with him playing suddenly kicked it up several notches once he got benched. Why do you think that is?

Ridiculous, and shows the bias you have for Howard.

Howard was given every opportunity--to be a starter, to be a lead guard, and to be a leader. He squandered every opportunity. The team got off to a disastrous start with him at the helm.

And it is no coincidence that a team that seemed to go through the motions with him playing suddenly kicked it up several notches once he got benched. Why do you think that is?
Howard blows. And hes stupid

I feel worse for Coleman and Roberson.

There isn't a bigger fan of Coleman than me. I've posted numerous times over the past three years how incredible it is that he clawed his way back onto the court after the knee issues he's had, and commended him for the unbelievable work ethic he's shown. He was a heavy guy to begin with, and somehow willed his way to losing weight while his leg was in an immobilizer. Most bigger guys would blow up like a balloon not being able to do cardio. Not Coleman--talk about discipline. He was also a great teammate--a guy who never griped about PT, never complained about his career not going the way you'd expect a McD's all American to go, and the first guy up cheering on the bench even when he wasn't playing.

I'm really sorry that his career didn't end on a high note, which is how many believed this year might unfold. I'll always be grateful for the two final fours he was a part of. I guess I don't feel "worse" for him because he DID get to participate in those two final fours.

I feel a lot worse for Roberson about how his senior year went than I do about the year ending on a down note. Roberson was frustrating as hell at times, but he was a good kid and a hard worker. He picked it up at the right time last post-season and was a major reason why we made a run to the final four. We never would have gotten there without him and his rebounding contributions. The way this season started off, I thought we were going to see him kick it up a notch as a scorer, and be a much bigger factor than the way things worked out. I wish his final season had gone differently.

So while I feel bad for those two, I feel bad for different reasons than I do the 5th year transfers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom