Few Thoughts and theories on recent stuff | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Few Thoughts and theories on recent stuff

I think I am on the Sean Miller train. I thought what happened years ago I would never would want him as a coach but with all that be "somewhat" legal now I think he would be the clear best coach we can easily get. Considering his past transactions I sure he still has some really good connections. I do not think bringing in talent would be a problem for him. I think he should be someone we consider seriously and I would hire him before anyone currently or was formally on the staff.

No.

Here are things every single person on this board agrees on:

- The last 9 years have not been good
- The last 4 years have been really not good. Bad, even.
- Syracuse isn’t the program we want it to be, expect it to be, knew it to be.
- The responsibility for the downturn is shared but lies primarily with the coach.

I understand. You wanted his last year to be multiple years ago. So every season since then has been aggravating and one season too many. That’s why one more season isn’t just one more season to you. When you look back on the years you feel like he shouldn’t have been here, another year is a slap in the face.

I get it. I just don’t agree that one more year of him (probably) being on good behavior and maybe doing something good with the team is preferable to an ugly (or uglier) departure that leaves nobody looking good. There’s no reason for the admin to flex its muscle on a coaching career on its death bed. Make an agreement for him to ride off into the sunset after next season and call it a day. Do your due diligence in that time to find the right guy to come in. Who knows, maybe it’ll be somebody they can tell recruits about so recruiting can still happen during the ‘farewell tour’. I’d prefer that to an abrupt change and scramble.

The ‘get him out yesterday’ sentiment sounds vindictive and almost like people want to punish him for being a jerk and not winning enough games.
I don’t agree with your argument. I want JB out yesterday..but this was very well articulated. I have an appreciation for your point of view.

1st off I would like JB to have 1 more year with any of this group that stays and see what he can do. I think a multitude of things have made the last few years discouraging. Most of all the lack of athletes until this year. I think the team is on a positive track this year and improving and working thru the NIL issues

2nd, I know I do side with JB and worry about the "grass isn't always greener" thought with upcoming changes, but I honestly think the media as with anything else twists quotes for their narrative. Honestly, unless I read JB's quote about "its his decision" wrong, I don't believe that was directed at the powers that be at Cuse. I think it was his frustration with the media, talking heads and fans pushing him out the door and that he was saying its not their decision, its his so get off his ass about retirement. The man knows Cuse admin can do anything they want. But he worded it wrong and the media jumped on board cause the biggest story they can get is JB being gone, especially if fired .

3rd, I have a theory abut Wildhack and BOT with the call. The biggest hire in Syracuse athletics history will be the next basketball coach, and thats a lot of pressure. Right now the clock hasn't started ticking for JW on that hire cause JB is what he acquired and the backlash is on JB, not him. But once that hire is made jobs are on the line if it doesn't work out. JW and people maybe slow playing this too make sure without a doubt that have the guy. Right now they maybe perfectly fine with JB pushing out another year

People in high executive positions tend want people working under them who owe their jobs to him or her. I don't think it was an accident that Frank Maloney was on his way out shortly after Jake Crouthamel became the AD or that Paul Pasqualoni was fired not long after Dr. Gross took over, (although the timing may have been forced on him). Throughout those situations the football job has been the one the AD had control over: the basketball job was untouchable and the others didn't matter, (maybe lacrosse but that had its own dynasty).

I don't know where Wildhack's mind is but he inherited both Dino, (who was hired by Coyle), and JB, as well as Desko. He's made a change in lacrosse. I think like everyone else he wanted Dino to have every chance to succeed and still does. But Dino has to build on this year's success, which he did not do after the 2018 season or else Wildhack will have the opportunity to get his own man in there. I think he might be looking forward to determining who will succeed JB by himself, even though a poor result could have an impact on his own tenure here.

Go to 2:12:

No.

Here are things every single person on this board agrees on:

- The last 9 years have not been good
- The last 4 years have been really not good. Bad, even.
- Syracuse isn’t the program we want it to be, expect it to be, knew it to be.
- The responsibility for the downturn is shared but lies primarily with the coach.

I understand. You wanted his last year to be multiple years ago. So every season since then has been aggravating and one season too many. That’s why one more season isn’t just one more season to you. When you look back on the years you feel like he shouldn’t have been here, another year is a slap in the face.

I get it. I just don’t agree that one more year of him (probably) being on good behavior and maybe doing something good with the team isn’t preferable to an ugly (or uglier) departure that leaves nobody looking good. There’s no reason for the admin to flex its muscle on a coaching career on its death bed. Make an agreement for him to ride off into the sunset after next season and call it a day. Do your due diligence in that time to find the right guy to come in. Who knows, maybe it’ll be somebody they can tell recruits about so recruiting can still happen during the ‘farewell tour’. I’d prefer that to an abrupt change and scramble.

The ‘get him out yesterday’ sentiment sounds vindictive and almost like people want to punish him for being a jerk and not winning enough games.
If your “hope” was all but certain, I would say go for it. If he gets Adams and can get Jesse and Judah, Brown and Bell to stay (I figure Benny is gone, but I would welcome him back), I would say stay JB, as long as you announce it’s the last year.

It could get much worse than this. We could be a conference bottom feeder and not being getting anything but 2-3 star kids. I'm not saying Boeheim should come back but the idea that we couldn't take a step further down is insane to me.
Great point. I want JB to retire. But if people don’t think it can get worse, look at what happened at Pitt after Dixon left or Louisville currently. We’ve been a mid pack ACC team, not a bottom feeder. And I’m not saying it will get worse. Man, I hope it doesn’t.

Last edited:
I'll never understand points like your 2nd one. This has been an irrelevant program for close to a decade now. What exactly do you think gets worse? We can continue to see this team finish in the bottom half of the conference? Fail to make the postseason? Fail to improve recruiting? What gets worse and why?
We've hardly been irrelevant. We have not been particularly relevant, yes, but it certainly can get worse than this. Our streak of winning seasons was virtually unprecedented, and only broken last year. You simply cannot find the level of consistency that JB exhibited for the vast bulk of his career. You can't find it anywhere.

Obviously we've fallen off. But this job is not an easy one. The wrong hire and we could truly fall off the map. And quickly, I fear.

If JB retired this off-season and we hired Sean Miller we would finish no worse than 4th in the conference next year.

And Sean Miller would be willing to leave Xavier to come to a school that gets 25000 fans and plays Duke and UNC every year.
And one that has Mintz and possibly Jesse on the roster. And Miller knows how to pound the portal. All he needs to do is retain Red or Griff, and he can get some of these kids to stay.

And one that has Mintz and possibly Jesse on the roster. And Miller knows how to pound the portal. All he needs to do is retain Red or Griff, and he can get some of these kids to stay.

I would be confident that with Miller we would have a quick bounce back talent wise and would be back to getting the type of players we are use to.

Do you have a specific source/link other than just “Yahoo Finance?” I would like to drill down and see the real world evidence.
We are fourth in men’s basketball revenue and have been around the top five for years.
Why do you think so many fans argue that Syracuse is still one of the top jobs in the sport? The potential basketball fan base is larger than most, and it’s an engaged fan base, too, that’s clamoring to win again. I don’t know why you’re engaging with Willy Nilly on this buyout nonsense. Crum got $7 million to go away from Louisville in 2001, fyi. Boeheim will get a send off check but it won’t be anything crazy.

Last edited:
If your “hope” was all but certain, I would say go for it. If he gets Adams and can get Jesse and Judah, Brown and Bell to stay (I figure Benny is gone, but I would welcome him back), I would say stay JB, as long as you announce it’s the last year.
This is pretty much where I’m at. He needs to get Jesse, Judah, Brown, Taylor and Quadir to come back and land Adams and tell the assistants we can pound the portal for at least one more high level guy. If he does that, then I could live with one more year. We also need to show some real potential over this last month of the season.

It could get much worse than this. We could be a conference bottom feeder and not being getting anything but 2-3 star kids. I'm not saying Boeheim should come back but the idea that we couldn't take a step further down is insane to me.
.500 or worse - it doesn’t matter. Half of us don’t even know when the next game is anymore.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sean Miller is coaching at Ohio State next year.
And Holtmann will be where? Because he should be on our short-list. Big 10 has been very strong in recent years, he is a good coach, in spite of what might seem middling W/L

.500 or worse - it doesn’t matter. Half of us don’t even know when the next game is anymore.

Aint going to lie I honestly thought we played today all day. I got home from work and looked at the schedule and realized we play tomorrow..

1st off I would like JB to have 1 more year with any of this group that stays and see what he can do. I think a multitude of things have made the last few years discouraging. Most of all the lack of athletes until this year. I think the team is on a positive track this year and improving and working thru the NIL issues

2nd, I know I do side with JB and worry about the "grass isn't always greener" thought with upcoming changes, but I honestly think the media as with anything else twists quotes for their narrative. Honestly, unless I read JB's quote about "its his decision" wrong, I don't believe that was directed at the powers that be at Cuse. I think it was his frustration with the media, talking heads and fans pushing him out the door and that he was saying its not their decision, its his so get off his ass about retirement. The man knows Cuse admin can do anything they want. But he worded it wrong and the media jumped on board cause the biggest story they can get is JB being gone, especially if fired .

3rd, I have a theory abut Wildhack and BOT with the call. The biggest hire in Syracuse athletics history will be the next basketball coach, and thats a lot of pressure. Right now the clock hasn't started ticking for JW on that hire cause JB is what he acquired and the backlash is on JB, not him. But once that hire is made jobs are on the line if it doesn't work out. JW and people maybe slow playing this too make sure without a doubt that have the guy. Right now they maybe perfectly fine with JB pushing out another year

It's still only the beginning of February. Surely, you can sound out coaches' agents between now and the end of the season 2 months from now. You should even have a list of who might be available and how much it would cost to get them.

Make a hire between May and July. Recruit and start the preseason with the new staff.

Why do they need a whole extra year? It will be a whole different crop of candidates a year from now.

I don't know what everyone is getting so worked up about.

We're still all going to die some day.
Nope. I will just move on.
This is pretty much where I’m at. He needs to get Jesse, Judah, Brown, Taylor and Quadir to come back and land Adams and tell the assistants we can pound the portal for at least one more high level guy. If he does that, then I could live with one more year. We also need to show some real potential over this last month of the season.
I like the progress. His loyalty to Bennie and Bell really hurt us this year, but if loyalty is one of your major faults, your okay. He hit gold with Mintz, Taylor and Brown, and Hima was an under the radar steal. The other 3 just have to want to improve, and really do what it takes to get there.

At this point I don’t care who is our next coach I just want it to be soon and I want Boeheim to get the appreciative send off he deserves for his lifetime dedication to the team, school and community.

Kills me to see him the way he is right now, and how the media/fans are (justifiably) reacting.

This is where the orange colored glasses come in. The list of college basketball programs that have been relevant in most years of the last decade is in the single digits. That’s barely hyperbole, if it is at all.

We have a warped perception of what relevance is and how other programs measure up to it.

We haven’t been the Syracuse we are accustomed to being. No argument there. But things can absolutely 100% get worse. We could go out and get a legitimate $5MM/yr. coach and have “worse” squarely in the sights.

We’re all quibbling over one more season.
Because it’s pointless. One more season for what?

Whether we get better, worse, or stay the same….it’s time to move on and find out.

And frankly, I don’t trust that it’s one more season. If it is, then say it so recruits will know what the heck is going on here.

At this point I don’t care who is our next coach I just want it to be soon and I want Boeheim to get the appreciative send off he deserves for his lifetime dedication to the team, school and community.

Kills me to see him the way he is right now, and how the media/fans are (justifiably) reacting.

He got that at the Ring of Honor dedication at halftime of the Georgetown game. He even teared up, as did Julie. I thought for sure it signaled that this would be his last season.

He's brought all of this on himself. Don't forget that. He didn't have to be such a jerk to so many people, so much of the time.

Glad we agree on the first part however comparing JB to Dino is not even in the same atmosphere
Jim has taken a beautiful mansion and let it rot
Dino had to tear down and rebuild a nearly condemned house due to scott schafer while not having the same resources that Jim has
Dino cant hold Jims sack

I'm glad you are part of the 95% that wants him back...

Why wouldn't you? Why wouldn't any of us?

Change is often times hard.

Sometimes it's scary.

Sometimes it's necessary,

Sometimes it's all 3.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online