Few thoughts post initial scrimmage | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Few thoughts post initial scrimmage

We don't like to talk about it to much but some of the tinkering is a result of recruiting misses and failures. You look at the 2013 and 2014 classes they have really been disappointing with 2013 being pretty much a disaster. 2015 and this years class have been better but we haven't had a lot of break out players (save for Salcido and Mellen) or those 1 or 2 can't miss guys a la Matt Rambo, Shack Stanwick, Cannizzaro, etc. Right now were relying to heavily on transfers with Mariano and Bomberry being arguably our top offensive threats with Donahue gone. This season we have a few players who appear on the cusp of breaking out in Solomon, Lane, Voight, Thorpe had he not been injured, and some promising young players in Trimboli, Burt, Schwasnick, Cunningham, Bomberry the younger etc.

I would add Devin Shewell to that players on the cusp list.

For Evans if he could have a Sr season similar to Jo Jo Marasco's I think that would be a smashing success. Evans has been the victim of sky high expectations, injuries, and an under performance from what he showed in highschool. It gets a lot of play on the board because he's our guy but the same thing plays out across the country with top end high school players who don't end up starring in college, he's not the first guy to struggle and won't be the last.

The main issue for Evans has been his inability to dodge and his struggle with turnovers. He was a turnover machine last year and really seemed to struggle when he was asked to dodge. He certainly showed some flashes though as he had a couple of nice games last year and was a threat as an off ball guy who got open for good looks. He also rode well and did a good job late in games of not forcing the issue.

For this season I fear Desko might have put to much on his plate. Your asking a guy who has struggled to dodge to now become the QB of the attack unit and be the "Kevin Rice" of the offense. At this point I am not sure Jordan can handle that type of a role. His knee injuries have slowed him down and he doesn't appear to have that upper level speed/athleticism he had in high school. If Mariano is moved to attack full time I think Evans could play a Robin to his Batman type of role and be in good position to capitalize on defenses sliding to Mariano on his dodges/ moves to the goal. Personally I would like to see Evans lower the turnovers, finish better around the cage and at least double his assists from last year. I am not worried as much about him scoring as Mariano, Bomberry, Solomon, Lane, Salcido, Voigt can handle that aspect.

Forgot to say thanks on your thoughts on Evans. Very interesting opinion. I also wonder if Desko will put a lot on him or if he is looking for someone else to assume that role. I agree to expect him to transform into "Kevin Rice" or "Jo Jo Marassco" as a senior seems like a long shot. Evans as you said could work off Mariano for sure. I would gamble he has a solid but not spectacular senior season.

Forgot to say thanks on your thoughts on Evans. Very interesting opinion. I also wonder if Desko will put a lot on him or if he is looking for someone else to assume that role. I agree to expect him to transform into "Kevin Rice" or "Jo Jo Marassco" as a senior seems like a long shot. Evans as you said could work off Mariano for sure. I would gamble he has a solid but not spectacular senior season.
Piggy Backing on Evans, who wears 22 next year????

Lucas Quinn.
He would be the top incoming freshman recruit right? With Salcido and Mariano gone next year he could see some action. Will be interesting to see if thats who actually gets it, he's from Niskayuna correct?. As Jeremy mentioned I would like to see Cook get it in 2018 but it really doesnt matter.

A lot depends on whether the player really wants it. Also Magnan is #2 in the 2018 class - might be tough to give it to someone else. Would enjoy seeing Quinn get it. Curious to see what role he plays next year and the future.

I think If anyone gets it it'll be an established player. Like Soloman, Lane or Bomberry, rather than putting that pressure on an incoming freshman that may not live up to he hype or see the field immediately. And I think it'll help the fans seeing an established player with it rather then a player wearing it a riding the bench cause they can't get on the field.
But if an incoming freshman has all the hype and desko wants them to have it then they will.

I think If anyone gets it it'll be an established player. Like Soloman, Lane or Bomberry, rather than putting that pressure on an incoming freshman that may not live up to he hype or see the field immediately. And I think it'll help the fans seeing an established player with it rather then a player wearing it a riding the bench cause they can't get on the field.
But if an incoming freshman has all the hype and desko wants them to have it then they will.
Agreed, 22 should be reserved for an upperclassman. Kevin Rice wanted 22 but they promised it to Evans and Rice is still pissed about it. I could see it going to Solomon or Trimboli, because they have multiple years left. Of course this all dependson production. Lane already wears a Cuse legacy number, why change to 22? Possibly Bomberry but I don't see that happening based on him just transferring in.

We all know Mellen will be wearing 11 next fall.

Evans needs to put up a combination of 50+ points in order for this season to be looked at as a success for him.

Agreed, 22 should be reserved for an upperclassman. Kevin Rice wanted 22 but they promised it to Evans and Rice is still pissed about it. I could see it going to Solomon or Trimboli, because they have multiple years left. Of course this all dependson production. Lane already wears a Cuse legacy number, why change to 22? Possibly Bomberry but I don't see that happening based on him just transferring in.

We all know Mellen will be wearing 11 next fall.

Evans needs to put up a combination of 50+ points in order for this season to be looked at as a success for him.
True true.

Again I would think it will remain vacant next year and go to Cook in 2018, he's the real deal and a chance at the #1 player in the class.

Again I would think it will remain vacant next year and go to Cook in 2018, he's the real deal and a chance at the #1 player in the class.

You think #22 remain vacant for a year for a player who isn't even the highest ranked player committed to Cuse in his recruiting class? Would think it would go to a current player or Quinn

Cody Jameison wore 22 as a JC transfer?

You think #22 remain vacant for a year for a player who isn't even the highest ranked player committed to Cuse in his recruiting class? Would think it would go to a current player or Quinn

By the time he gets on campus Cook will be the highest ranked player in his class. He blew up last year but he's just scratching the surface kid is a monster.

Not as a Junior (since Hardy still had it).

Jammer wore it in 2010.

JoJo took it over for 2011-13.
Yep..he was in 43 when Jammer scored the goal in OT to beat Cornell in 2009...boy getting to be a long time ago!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom