FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Goodbye Mexico wow that happened very quickly. I don't like the Mexican fans so that was great. Netherlands owned that 2nd half after Mexico scored and good for the. Orange crush. I hope its warm when we play Belgium as it seems European teams are struggling with humidity.

Mexico played a great tournament, all things considered.

I worry that the Dutch comeback might go a long way toward preventing CONCACAF from receiving a guaranteed 4th spot in 2018.

I'm happy to see the Dutch advance, but I can't help but feel for the Mexican players. Our guys were in that same position...having certain victory ripped away from us. But not like this. That was a real tough call. Robben played the ref beautifully. Yes there was contact, but not an intentional leg sweep. Marquez was stupid to give the ref a 50-50 call in that situation, but I hate when games are decided on late penalties. Both teams played well, but I think Mexico played better overall. Still a good showing for CONCACAF.

Time for the USA to carry the regional honor. :)

One thing I've noticed watching this WC is that going into a shell and trying to "prevent" a goal means eventually you're going to give one up. I don't understand why teams keep doing this. Allow another team to just pump crosses into the box and shots on goal and eventually one will go in.

it's like prevent defense in football and stall ball for JB

Hate Hate Hate that penalty on the Robben flop. Could care less who won this game but Robben started falling before anyone even touched him and it was minor contact. For all that stamina, Robben's legs sure seem to give out a lot ::wink wink::

Mexico played a great tournament, all things considered.

I worry that the Dutch comeback might go a long way toward preventing CONCACAF from receiving a guaranteed 4th spot in 2018.
CONCACAF doesn't deserve 4 guaranteed spots. 3 automatic and 1 playoff are fair for our region. As long as we stay 3.5 that is great. Mexico, USA, Costa Rica are all solid, but Honduras, Canada, Jamaica, El Salvador, Panama are not good countries and the MLS is helping them, but we should be happy with 3.5.

Africa got 5 bids and 2 teams advanced, Asia got 4 bids and 0 teams advanced those are the confederations that need to worry.
South America got 6 teams and 5 advanced and Europe got 13 teams and 6 advanced.

That Dutch comeback will have nothing to do with CONCACAF and I think Costa Rica will beat the Greeks so we should get atleast 1 team in the QFs.

Mexico is the Gonzaga of soccer. They are always good and get thru the group stage, but when the knockout round begins they lose in the round of 16 like Gonzaga choking before the Final Four.

Being Gonzaga isn't bad for Mexico it just shows they are consistent at being decent.

Greece-Costa Rica is setting the World Cup back to Italia 1990 in terms of boredom. If we get 1 goal in this game I will be shocked. Just go to penalties now and save us another 75 minutes of defense defense on the pitch.

Red card for Costa Rica now this should get interesting. Losing a defender as well. I am surprised with all these teams today playing with 5 defenders Mexico, Netherlands, Costa Rica are all playing 5-3-2 formations.

Mexico going out is good. But losing because of a Robben dive is bad. hmmm.

"Mixed emotions on this one, Buddy. Like Larry Wildman going over a cliff in my new Maserati."

+1 I am half Greek and I find Greece to be the most boring team to a
Watch in the world.
Their formula works when it's applied properly. When we did picks a few days ago, I went with CR but my little voice was telling me that Greece could make a run here. Totally agree about the boredom factor.

Not sure CR can hold up for 30 minutes with 10 men.
They won't hold up for 30 unless Greece is content with a shootout and how conservative Greece plays it wouldn't shock me if they are content. If Greece pushes they should score as 3 CR players are already sitting on 1 yellow card each this match.

He never gets tired and he never goes left and I love watching that man play. Did he flop? Surely. Are the Dutch going through? Yes sir.
It's clear that during halftime that the ref saw that he missed the missed penalty in the first half . It was a make up call.

Hup Holland!

Costa Rica carrying the CONCACAF flag into the World Cup quarterfinals. Can't say I saw that coming.

Costa Rica carrying the CONCACAF flag into the World Cup quarterfinals. Can't say I saw that coming.
I still remember the March 2013 qualifier in Denver against Costa Rica in that freaking blizzard. Dempsey scored early and then in the 2nd half the ref stopped the match before he Costa Rican captain said continue and then we won. 1-0 and they protested after the match to FIFA and got nothing. How great would a USA- Costa Rica semifinal in Manuas in the Amazon be.